HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2007, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Well, I would have received my Cub today, but of course the wife had me out running around so I wasn't here when they tried to deliver it. Guess I get to wait until Monday. Oh well, it's not like I was going to fly it today anyway.
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2007, 04:16 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter1
First look , for reference , can 12 oz, lipo 2100 , radio dx7, tile size 12 "
I kept looking at the pictures, trying to figure out what didn't look right. Then it hit me. The side windows are covered! Are you supposed to cut the covering away, maybe glue in clear plastic windows or are there decals to go there to make them look like windows or what?

I guess I'll find out myself tomorrow but I just thought it was odd that they would leave the builder to have to do that.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 04:39 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk11740
I kept looking at the pictures, trying to figure out what didn't look right. Then it hit me. The side windows are covered! Are you supposed to cut the covering away, maybe glue in clear plastic windows or are there decals to go there to make them look like windows or what?

I guess I'll find out myself tomorrow but I just thought it was odd that they would leave the builder to have to do that.
If it is the same as the Cub 10e, and I expect it is, you have to cut out the windows, leaving a little edge to seal down and they have plastic windows that glue into place. It gives it a nice look, but yes it would be nice if they would do it for you. It is really not that hard to do, but it does help if you have a trim iron. Actually on the 25e, a regular covering iron would probably be fine as the windows are bigger than the 10e.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Mar 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
If it is the same as the Cub 10e, and I expect it is, you have to cut out the windows, leaving a little edge to seal down and they have plastic windows that glue into place. It gives it a nice look, but yes it would be nice if they would do it for you. It is really not that hard to do, but it does help if you have a trim iron. Actually on the 25e, a regular covering iron would probably be fine as the windows are bigger than the 10e.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
I figured that would probably be the case with the windows. I have a covering iron but have yet to use it. I also noticed I have to glue the hinges in. Oh joy! CA and I don't get along at all. Oh well, that's OK. If I got through it on my Husky, I can get through it on this bird too. This will all be good practice for when I start building the kits I've been collecting.

Just got to make sure that I have enough debonder that I can unglue myself when I'm done.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:59 PM
Lost in space
Jupiter FL.
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk11740
I figured that would probably be the case with the windows. I have a covering iron but have yet to use it. I also noticed I have to glue the hinges in. Oh joy! CA and I don't get along at all. Oh well, that's OK. If I got through it on my Husky, I can get through it on this bird too. This will all be good practice for when I start building the kits I've been collecting.

Just got to make sure that I have enough debonder that I can unglue myself when I'm done.
So . No one's flown this bird yet ? What's the hold up ? I am resisting starting this one as I have another project I promised myself I would finish before starting this one . My will is getting weak

gsk , get some of the micro tips they sell for CA . Make's life with CA much easier , did for me anyway .

Dave
jupiter1 is offline Find More Posts by jupiter1
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
So . No one's flown this bird yet ? What's the hold up ? I am resisting starting this one as I have another project I promised myself I would finish before starting this one . My will is getting weak

gsk , get some of the micro tips they sell for CA . Make's life with CA much easier , did for me anyway .

Dave
Hey Dave, I just got mine today! It does take me a at least a little time to put them together!

Thanks for the tip on the tips too (Ok, pun somewhat intended). I have a trip planed to the LHS soon to pick up a few things so I'll add those to my list.

I did a quick skim back through this thread but didn't see anything about prop size. Anyone have any ideas as to what would work well or at least ballpark to start? Also, batteries? All I have so far are a couple of 3s2100's.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Never mind. Just looked at the front of the box! DUH!

Guess I'm buying some more batteries too.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:34 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Quote:
So . No one's flown this bird yet ? What's the hold up ?
Dave
Cold...snow...wet...wind...I'm going out of my mind.
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:06 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
None yet, but I am sure hoping. I think it would be a great addition.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com

Anyone think the E-flite ones would work?
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:23 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Trying a different powerplant....

I just ordered this one. Hard to beat for $25! Looks like it will fit the bill.

Matt
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalbr
I just ordered this one. Hard to beat for $25! Looks like it will fit the bill.

Matt
That is an awsome price. Looks like it would work well in this model.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:54 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,637 Posts
Anyone have any actual experience with these motors? Or ones like the one listed. I've been tempted to buy..
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:30 PM
Lost in space
Jupiter FL.
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Well I have every thing to put this one together . Winds are supposed to be down Sunday , I really need to finish by 6' electro Telemaster before I start this one . Maybe Saturday eveing or Sunday afternoon I can start . Might post a few pics if no one beats me to it.

Dave
jupiter1 is offline Find More Posts by jupiter1
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:19 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Dave

That's good news. Let us know how it goes. Also, any likes/dislikes regarding the model? Things you did that may help us out? Pictures?

Thanks,
Matt
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:08 PM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Has anyone made progress with their Cubs yet?

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com