HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2002, 06:23 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
Sig 1/5 scale Piper Cub

Has anyone built this plane (not the 1/6 scale) for electric flight.

I have a Hangar 9 Piper Cub, and while it's OK, it's not quite scale enough, and it is built very heavy. I think I can build one lighter.

Anyone with experience on the Sig 1/5 scale model?

Do the wings come off in 2 pieces for transport?
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2002, 06:53 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,587 Posts
Sig 1/5th Scale Cub

Michael

I have one in the cellar that I have not yest started. It will be powered with a Jeti 45-3 on a Modelairtech H-1000 using 20 CP2400's. Mine will be modeled after the rare J-3P with the 3 cylinder Lenape Papoose radial. About 30 of these were built and most were converted to Continental's when the 4 cylinder opposed engines became more mechanically reliable.

Looks like a nice kit. Two piece wing which gets points.

Hope to start as soon as I get my Modelairtech T3D done.

So many planes so little time (and money)

Brian Allen

Veni Vedi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Sep 29, 2002, 09:48 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Seem to be growing quite a little "Cub Club" here! I've got one in the stack for this winter - 20 cells, AF25/Superbox (picked up too cheap NIB to resist!)

Looking at the Sig kit, it would be hard to take much weight out of it, plus the laser cut parts are pretty complex shapes - dead easy to cut by laser of course, so I suspect any replacement will be forced upon me. Initial impression is that you clip all the parts together, admire it some, then add CA. Kind of like a BARF with a lot of pieces, when you're used to own design

Having spent the last few weeks looking more closely at Cubs than ever before, the Sig is about as good as it could be expected for a kit. BARFs are mostly just Cub shaped devices.

If you want even more options, the Sig 1/5th is fully detailed for either the standard long wing, or the clip-winged aircraft that there's lots of around to model. You just pick your favourite and use the plan and parts to suit. (Bet someone manages to build one long and one short panel sooner or later )

Sig make great electric kits, shame they keep drawing glow engines on their plans

I've about settled on a blue fus/yellow winged early military Cub - has the regular J3 Cub windows rather than the later L4 long glasshouse. If you're looking for a colour scheme, go check out Bob Banka's range, must be 30-odd Cubs in his listings at least.

In recognition of spare time being something I used to have, it'll probably get a 'film finish

Regards

Dereck

Veni, Vepeni Veloafi
(I came, I signed up, I mostly hung out in the pits)
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 30, 2002, 07:17 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
Thanks.

I may just build one.

I'm using Kontronik brushless 600 geared motor with (only) 12 cells to fly my heavy Hangar 9 Cub. Perhaps I should use more cells and a smaller prop; I'd get longer flights, although this hasn't been a problem yet.
Old Oct 01, 2002, 10:06 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Michael
When I started researching what to do with my Sig kit, I did a search on Cubs to see what Zoners had powered them with.

Found 9 of the present crop of "IMAA Legal" (81" span, to heck with "scale" requirements) and two 71" BARFers.

Power ranged from 13 and 20 cells in the smaller two, 12 to 22 cells in the 81" pack of Cubs.

The 12 cell bird had a Graupner 700 on a 2:1 'box, a 12 x 8 prop and weighed 8-1/2lb. It was a Thunder Tiger 'kit'.

The 22 cell one had an Astro 40 on a MAT beltdrive @ 2.6:1 and a 16 x 10 prop.

Several of the Hangar 9s topped 10lb!

How does yours fly on 12 cells? Be real interested in your prop size and current draw. I also have an AF15 on a beltdrive - using that on 14 or 16 cells loses around 10 or 12 ounces straight away.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 04, 2002, 12:30 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
It draws about 40 to 50 amps with a 12/6 prop. It maintains level flight at 1/2 throttle.

I actually don't like the way this plane flies.

I may put this power system in a Diablotin.