HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:58 AM
Dixon IL.
Joined Jan 2007
82 Posts
Discussion
where to order mold making supplies

I have completed 2 pod plugs and need some help finding supplies for making the molds. I would like the mold to be sturdy so i can use it several times. Should i use carbon fiber or kevlar or glass or a combination. What wieght and types of weaves should be used. I do have experience in layup techniques, at one time i was a A+P mechanic and now a tool+die maker. Where in the US do you order epoxys and cloth to make the pods. I will be making CNC wing molds out of 7075 aluminum. I am made the plugs for the pods by hand. I can make them faster than i could render and program the pod. Any help would be appreciated Thankyou Ken.
1Freak is offline Find More Posts by 1Freak
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:05 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,752 Posts
This might help:
http://www.cstsales.com/tutorials/fiberglass_mold.pdf
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 10, 2007, 06:48 AM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
this would be a good question for the composites forum, but since you are here...

www.smooth-on.com has good stuff.

check out the c-1508 and moldmax 40. You can also make molds using just epoxy and fiberglass.

www.aircraftspruce.com
www.fiberglast.com
www.acp-composites.com

for small quanitites of fabric, try ebay, and search for carbon cloth or carbon fabric.

you really should check out the composites forum, there is lots of information to be found there. You can search the composites forum by using the search feature in the top right of the menu bar once you get there.

see if you can find posts by user: sporter

Sean Porter has posted several articles on pod and mold stuff specific to DLG. Also check this forum in the Supergee II thread.
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Last edited by will_newton; Feb 10, 2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:17 AM
Dixon IL.
Joined Jan 2007
82 Posts
Thank you for the info. I did not know that there was a composite forum. I Will stop waisting space in the wrong forum. Thank you again Ken.
1Freak is offline Find More Posts by 1Freak
Last edited by 1Freak; Feb 12, 2007 at 02:26 AM.