HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2002, 12:07 PM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
Upgrading my Charger for Under 100 UK Only

Hi guys, Im thinking of upgrading my Ripmax Pro Peak varipulse charger as it doesent cycle the cells and doesent discharge them. Thinking of buying a better charger. Any of you want to recount you life experiences with a good charger without going to silly money ( I dont realy want to spend over 100)
robotman is offline Find More Posts by robotman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2002, 12:25 PM
Teddington, UK
Joined Dec 1996
275 Posts
I have a supernova which I think I paid about 70 for. It'll charge, discharge, and hold 10 pack profiles, which is VERY handy. It'll do 24 cells and rates down to 50ma (I think, it may be 100).
The only think it wont do is lithium packs, if you need that there are others around the 100 mark that should.

Barny
ybanrab is offline Find More Posts by ybanrab
Old Sep 29, 2002, 02:25 PM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
Thanks Barney - Ill check out the details on Overlander.
robotman is offline Find More Posts by robotman
Old Sep 29, 2002, 03:54 PM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
I would suggest going to the low-end schulze (6-330?), same as the ultra-duo 2. I've been using mine for 3 years now, never a problem, several people at the club are using them and claim better performance from their batteries than with other chargers.
Automatic everything, top quality charger.
Uk price is around 120, but if you want to save money, you can always order it directly from say germany, you can probably get it for 100. (i've heard people say they were going for around 75 at sandown back in may...)
StefV is offline Find More Posts by StefV
Old Sep 29, 2002, 04:29 PM
Berks, England
Joined Jun 2001
598 Posts
For Sub-100 the Supernova is the only real option. Note, however, that the only discharge or cycle option is a single cycle.

On the whole I agree with StefV. You get a lot of features in the Supernova for the money, but I now have a Schulze chamaleon 6-330 and definitely prefer it.

My supernova is only a couple of years old, and all the buttons are wearing out; it's virtually unusable. For 70+ I'd prefer something to last longer than that.

Stuart
stuartaw is offline Find More Posts by stuartaw
Old Sep 29, 2002, 05:05 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
Guess what, my suggestion is ... go with the Schulze!

I started with a Hitec CG-335 which was OK at the time but 500 mA minimum rate and no Nimh setting.

Then a Super Nova, not a bad charger for the money, handles Nimh, cycles, 100 mA minimum charge etc.

But guess what, eventually I got the same problem with the buttons (there is a whole thread on this if you do a search) which was a real pain.

So charger no. 3 was a Schulze from West London Models. I saved up for the ISL 8-936 because I wanted the 10A charge rate, but the 6-330 is (IMO) fantastic value for money at just under 120.

Full specs. & details are on the Schulze website, you can also download the charger manuals (in English) from there before you buy.

http://www.schulze-elektronik.com/index_uk.htm
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 30, 2002, 05:57 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Robotman,

Another vote for the SuperNova 250s. I got mine from www.alshobbies.com - about 70 and worth every penny (IMHO!)

For a cheaper alternative the recently released Hitec CG-340 has got a lot of critical acclaim too. (Not sure if it does discharging though).

Talking of discharging. With seven cell 600AE packs that I nrmally use I used to give them a dishcharge followed by charge cycle each time after flight but, to be honest, more recentl I just use charge and forget the discharge and I haven't really noticed any difference in capacity leading me to believe that the so called "memory effect" is more to do with damaging batteries by over-charging in the first place than clearing out and restarting the charge each time. The 250s does a very good job of NOT over-charing packs in the first place so they remain healthy anyway.

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Sep 30, 2002, 06:25 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
The Super Nova is a good charger, but please check out the thread on problems with the buttons:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=58573

Mine only lasted about a year before they got so intermittent in operation as to make the charger a real pain to use. And it seems this is a reasonably common problem.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover