SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2007, 10:01 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
Discussion
assembling my first FPV rig, need guidance

Hello,

I am an avid builder/flyer and recently video piloting caught my attention, so after a few weeks of lurking around this forum I have started buying equipment for my first model and I have a few questions.

I bought a very nice set of used Sony PLM-A35 video goggles, and a 6000mAh lithium battery to power it at the field; they work great, but I dont have the instruction guide, is there anything in there I need to know beyond the warning about extended use, eye fatigue, and mis-calibration?

I have about a dozen planes flight-ready, but I plan to practice first by putting a camera in an R/C car; I realize that buying a cheap camera/transmitter is a mistake because I will need to upgrade for my airborne system later, but I think I would like to keep the camera/car setup intact, so can someone recommend a suitable cheap camera for indoor/outdoor, short-range use?

I intend to buy a head tracking module once I move to flying, but for now is it feasible to link camera pan to the steering servo, or will this be disorienting while driving?

thanks in advance!

j
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2007, 10:16 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
No special things to know with the A35. Just maybe, be careful not to unplug the video cable when you move.

With 6Ah you're ready for the world's first 24h FPV flight. The A35 only draw about 200mA
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 09, 2007, 02:07 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
Thanks Kilrah, that reminds me I need to come up with an adapter so that I can charge the PLM-A35 battery with my Triton. I prefer to charge all my equipment with one chager, having dedicated charge programs for each.

j
Old Feb 09, 2007, 02:18 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
If you have a genuine Sony battery then you might have problems if charging it with your standard charger.
As the A35 are quite old and if I remember well don't yet check the InfoLithium chip that's inside the battery it might work, but I've once tried charging a Sony camcorder battery on the field with my universal charger, it did charge normally, but once I turned on the camcorder, it said "defective battery" and turned itself off. I had to discharge the battery by other means and recharge it again with a Sony charger to get it working again. The prob is that the charger/battery and battery/camcorder talk together, and if the battery chip hasn't been "reset" by the charger the camcorder won't accept it.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 09, 2007, 05:32 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
its an aftermarket battery so hopefully it will be no trouble

can you recommend a cheap wireless camera set for experimenting with on my R/C car?

j