HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by papasmurf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:54 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
I'd love to hear some more details about that Yak... Thanks!
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:25 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I have not flown it since the first time...I am still trying to locate another stick mount. The plane seems to get alot of mixed reviews from what I have seen but the build quality I will have to say was very impressive. My thoughts on the first flight are in the "new yak" thread in the 3D forum. I have since removed some of the red wing striping an purchased the metallic blue monokote so the plane matches the 25% version GP sells. It looks really nice now but monokote really does not go well with ultracote and it was a pain to put on without bubbles.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:50 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Yeah...I've been warned to stay away from Mono cote... I just use Ultra cote...seals well and hardly wrinkles..

I was wondering how you felt about the Yak, because I've been toying with the idea of buyin the EF one. Nice plane--everyone loves it. And now there is a bunch of scale parts/mods for it. I'm more of a scale flyer than a 3d one. Anyway the yak you have could be a nice cheaper alternative. Thanks!
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I initially had some mixed impressions on the EF yak. The build quality is very good and the covering is as well, but there was so much hype on the EF models, I just think i expected a little more. The stock landing gear is a little bit too soft I think and sometimes I have to bend it back to shape from the plane sitting for a week or so. It does cost alot more to outfit than the smaller one. The EF yak I think is actually a bit less scale in some areas than the GP version such as the fuse/tail length. If you are not concerned about 3D performance than I think either one would work very well for you. I really can't comment much more on the performance of the GP yak until I fly it some more.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 04:58 PM
Santa Paula, CA
Joined Mar 2006
89 Posts
How does the GP Yak 54 fly compared to the MiniFuntana X? I've seen the mixed impressions from different people, just trying to decide. I'm moving up from a Typhoon 3D. And how easy/hard are they to build? I've only put together RTFs so far. Which would you recommend between the GP Yak, EF Yak, or MiniFuntana X?
Jumpnjoe is offline Find More Posts by Jumpnjoe
Last edited by Jumpnjoe; Feb 24, 2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:47 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The GP yak seems to be a pretty decent sport plane...I only have 2 flights on it but it does not seem to be a stellar 3D plane...more experience may prove otherwise. The EF yak seems easier to hover but has a fair amount of KE coupling and wing rock in a harrier...not really the killer 3D plane I think it is advertised as unless you are a pretty good pilot. The MFX is surprisingly capable. I have 4 packs through mine now since the first of the week and like it alot. It will slow down alot more than the previous version and is pretty stable in a harrier. The KE is pretty free of coupling as well. I would have to say it is one of the best full fuse 3D planes I have flown except for the fliton mini extra as the extra is amazingly stable in harrier but harder to hover and not nearly as durable. None of them are really any more difficult to assemble than the others...I would probably give the nod to the MFX though if I had to choose one of the three for 3D performance and ease of assembly. I think alot of people will overlook it for other planes based on the original MF and e-flite in general but it is really a pretty decent plane.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:24 PM
Santa Paula, CA
Joined Mar 2006
89 Posts
Thanks for all those details. I am just learning 3D, can barely KE and can hover for around 30 sec (up high). I would love to learn to hover (low) and KE all around the park, and harrier. I am looking for a full-fuse 3D plane that can hover well, harrier, and KE better than I can. It looks to me like the MFX may fit the bill the best for me. I don't need a plane with a lot of coupling or any other bad tendancies, as I am just startint out in the 3D world. Thank you very much for your input, as I was about to spend about $600 on that EF Yak, they had me sold on that damn video, but I think a wiser choice for this stage in the game would be the MFX by your commments. Thanks a million.
Jumpnjoe is offline Find More Posts by Jumpnjoe