HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2007, 10:23 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2001
440 Posts
Discussion
DX7s backordered from Horizon until 4/22?

Was in the local hobby store this evening and I asked how well the DX7s were selling. The sales guy indicated that he only had one and that the backorder date from Horizon was listed as 4/22 Anyone know if this is true and if so whats up? Seems a bit illogical for Horizon to have such a gap in their supply chain unless there is a new release planned and they are holding back (firmware updates to fix bugs etc.etc).

Jon.
AndrewsJr is offline Find More Posts by AndrewsJr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2007, 11:18 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
Everything DX7 and DX6 is now on backorder!

The easiest way I know of is to go to http://www.horizonhobby.com/ and search for whatever you are interested in. Just now, everything DX7, AR6100, and DX6, and AR6000 show BACKORDER. Some show availability dates, but not all do. All you can buy just now is the bind plug, one of which comes with each receiver!

I heard earlier that they were having some trouble with their supplier of AR6000s. Now it looks like everything is BO. That's not a good sign, IMHO! At the very best, it's a symptom of too much success.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:35 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsJr
Was in the local hobby store this evening and I asked how well the DX7s were selling. The sales guy indicated that he only had one and that the backorder date from Horizon was listed as 4/22 Anyone know if this is true and if so whats up?
Jon.
Just checked the Horizon web site and it gives the due date for the DX7 as late February.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM2710
Was your LHS trying to sell you somrthing else?
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
My LHS was saying the same thing about back order. He just got in some AR6100 and I snagged one. That goes into a foamie Formosa I have been flying for a good while now.

Now if the temp warms up a bit and the winds calm down I will fly it.

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Feb 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,295 Posts
Spektrum stuff has been flying off of the shelves as fast as my LHS can get it. I don't think that they planned for or even imagined the great success. For Example I have bought three AR7000 Rx's and nine AR6000's to outfit my fleet. My wingman bought seven AR7000's and five AR6000's. If everyone is upgrading their whole fleet, then that is the supply problem.

Regards, Bill
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador
Last edited by Gordito Volador; Feb 11, 2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Fix Typos
Old Feb 11, 2007, 05:36 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Interesting comment this-------

"At the very best, it's a symptom of too much success."

What pray tell might that be?
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
650 Posts
with the release of the futaba ss system, prices of 199-249 and in late march,
this would make a number of people wonder which to buy.
I think a price drop is coming on the dx stuff.
Who knows.
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:15 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
I'll be surprised if Spektrum lowers their DX6 or DX7 prices given their apparent difficulties with their supplier, leading to the apparent current supply delays.

The sad thing is that they may lose a lot of sales to competing systems coming on the market any day now if people perceive the Spektrum equipment is tough to get. Once a competing (incompatable) brand is bought, all Spektrum sales to that individual seem unlikely forever. A sale today is not just a single sale, but likely impacts many future purchases by that individual.

Just my $0.02. I'm clearly frustrated by the shortage of AR6000s the past month or so.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
{Quote}
I'm clearly frustrated by the shortage of AR6000s the past month or so.
{Quote}

Now THAT I can understand!

The "out if stock until April 22" was never correct (DX7).
In all my time in RC (been a long time) I do not ever remember such a 'ground swell' as that which Spektrum has clearly created-------not even when digital Propo made its appearance. By comparison it was but a blip on the screen which took several years to gain acceptance.

Of course digital Propo had to live down the reputation Propo overall had earned by virtue of the analog attempts. (the P-dash-crash)
Now that is ancient history!

To: kilwein

Frankly, I do not want to see the prices go down!
They are already in the basement. No decent profit margins = no reason for R&D expenditures
We are already down to the "TOY" category and that doesn't speak well for the future of RC.
Last edited by onewasp; Feb 12, 2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,434 Posts
Have you priced the Unigen module in bulk for instance? The profits here are IMMENSE!
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:24 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
I believe the user numbers are more than slightly different.

The profits in the Automotive Manufacturing business can be immense also----but it remains a penny business. Make your costing base and you are in clover-----miss it and the red simply won't stop. BTDT

I have no idea what the world wide RC market is (# of customers) but the number has to pale when compared to memory etc. If you have the multiplier then even small unit margins appear good-------but if you do not-------.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:10 PM
Tye
Chacotoma, NM
Joined Jan 2004
701 Posts
" The "out if stock until April 22" was never correct (DX7). " ? ? ?

And so Onewasp ............ your quote is based on what ?

And what is the correct date ? ? ?
starzak is offline Find More Posts by starzak
Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp
I believe the user numbers are more than slightly different.

The profits in the Automotive Manufacturing business can be immense also----but it remains a penny business. Make your costing base and you are in clover-----miss it and the red simply won't stop. BTDT

I have no idea what the world wide RC market is (# of customers) but the number has to pale when compared to memory etc. If you have the multiplier then even small unit margins appear good-------but if you do not-------.
But RC is using pretty much stock stuff from the WiFi world, like Unigen. The modules cost literally a couple of bucks.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 03:47 PM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,295 Posts
Website says:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Stores/P...tId=R&CatId=RF

Late February
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador
Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,434 Posts
There are several online places with DX7's in stock.