HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:57 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2005
398 Posts
Question
Are Spektrum DX7s the same around the world...

Hi folks,

I've been looking at getting a synth module and receiver for my JR 9xII here in Australia and have found that the price will put it about $240 AUS ($180USD) short of a new DX7 unit complete with it's digital servos.

I've also just found out that our club will most likely close on alternate Saturday afternoons (pretty much the only time I'm able to fly) to anyone not on 2.4GHz due to conflicts with some yachties within range of the field (so a new 2.4GHz radio would be good) and that I'm off to the US for a week in March. So I was wondering if:

a. The DX7 is the same around the world being 2.4GHz and one bought in the US could be used without modification here in Australia unlike the standard radios that needed to be converted to 36MHz?

If the answer to a. is Yes...

b. Would a DX7 in the US be cheaper than $400USD and would it have an international warranty in case it broke here in Australia.

Even if you don't know the answer to a. if you know the answer to b. then please let me know.

Thanks folks,

Laci
Bosk is offline Find More Posts by Bosk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2007, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2007
66 Posts
I expect the dx-7s to be the same (except for things like the charger being different voltages/pin layouts). This seems to be backed up by a recent conversation with the local distributor where they mentioned they did a stock swap with somebody in the US to get some mode-2 versions here in OZ.

That said, you wont get the C-tick if you did not buy it through a local distributor (aparently they stick it on), which based on my reading of the MAAA regs, you wont be insured if you don't have the C-tick.

There is a discussion about it here http://www.archeli.com.au/phpBB2/vie...=asc&&start=45

The best price I've found in OZ is 499 (www.rchobbies.com.au), including shipping, so to me it is a little bordline whether the savings are worth it. Especially if you bother to lug it out of the country to get the GST refund.

cheers
kevinelp is offline Find More Posts by kevinelp
Old Feb 07, 2007, 10:06 PM
Sydney, Oz.
Joined Mar 2006
441 Posts
As Kevin said without the C-Tick sticker that is applied by the Australian distributor you will not meet the MAAA guidelines and strictly speaking would not be insured (as crazy as it is).
The warranty card has a sticker on it saying to return it to the Australian distributor (model engines) for warranty repairs. If you purchased overseas you would have to send it to the US at your expense if repairs were needed.
$499 is the going 'cheap' price, Roj's in Melbourne have them at that, and rchobbies in Sydney.
HPSOV is offline Find More Posts by HPSOV
Old Feb 08, 2007, 07:53 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSOV
As Kevin said without the C-Tick sticker that is applied by the Australian distributor you will not meet the MAAA guidelines and strictly speaking would not be insured (as crazy as it is).
The warranty card has a sticker on it saying to return it to the Australian distributor (model engines) for warranty repairs. If you purchased overseas you would have to send it to the US at your expense if repairs were needed.
$499 is the going 'cheap' price, Roj's in Melbourne have them at that, and rchobbies in Sydney.
As Kevin says, it doesn't sound like it's worth it at all. The other thing about it is from the (very) quick look I've had at it and from what I've read, it doesn't feel as nice as my 9xII. I'm wondering if there will be a module (not holding my breath) for the 9xII or a 2.4GHz version of the 9xII coming soon? As I'll probably hold off until one of these options is a reality.

Though not being able to fly at my club 50% of the time without a 2.4GHz set is a compelling reason to purchase now. But I'd really hate to use a "cheaper" feeling radio instead of my 9xII all the time, particularly since I've not had much use out of the 9xII so can't really justify it as "worn out"...
Bosk is offline Find More Posts by Bosk
Old Feb 08, 2007, 06:04 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
I got mine locally, (they come from model flight not model engines)
Local warrenty was worth the extra few bucks. It takes a little getting used to switching from a 9x11 but it wanst that bad. The hardest thing for me was the balance on my neckstrap without the antenna sticking up .
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Feb 16, 2007, 03:50 AM
Joined Feb 2007
123 Posts
anyone heard if the DX7 will be sold/of use in Germany?..i am an American living here (Military) and have the DX& and now i understand it is unusable here...one story i got from a dealer was the DX& that are going to come here do not have the range the others do, less power etc...

i reallllly want to use it lol..
Belgarath is offline Find More Posts by Belgarath
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:37 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Dont worry Belgarath,

Both radios' manual states that they are CE conform, and there is no sign yet that the german/EU versions are somehow crippled or are more likely to cause problems.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez