SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:18 PM
Derby, UK
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Question
What resin is suitable for ABS plastic?

I need to reinforce a pre-fitted deck joint, and was thinking of getting some resin that I can paint around the inside of the deck from the deck hatch.

I think I recently read something about not using certain types of resin with ABS, but can't find the recommendation from the forum search.

Thanks,
Pete.
badbunny_uk is offline Find More Posts by badbunny_uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
228 Posts
use epoxy. its the best thing for the job, and it doesn't smell as bad as polyester. west system is the best, but expensive.
420sailor is offline Find More Posts by 420sailor
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:26 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,709 Posts
nope! Not on a plastic ABS hull- epoxy might fool you into thinking it's sticking, but it's not!
I've found three materials that actually stick (fairly well) to ABS:

1. Pattex Stabilit Express- two part stuff (not an epoxy) that can cure in an airtight joint;

2. In the US, we have "PL Premium" polyurethane construction adhesive in caulking tubes... thick gooey stuff, adheres well to ABS, but needs to breathe to dry (good for fillets).

3. Milliput 2-part putty... not really a glue, but a filler which will stick to most plastics.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:28 PM
Derby, UK
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
melting?

I think I read about avoiding some types of resin because it got too hot during curing and melted ABS? Does anyone know what they were?

Also, I am very confused by the different types of "resin" available. Can someone knowledgeable give me a dummy's 30second guide to what they are?

Thanks,
Pete.
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:54 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,709 Posts
"Resin" is just about any prepolymer waiting to be crosslinked into a "Plastic". Think about wet spaghetti- it's almost liquid. Let it dry a bit, the noodles stick to one another at multiple sites, you get a rigid mass- "cross linking".

So, as many resins as there are plastics. Some cure with heat; others with another chemical, a catalyst.

Polyester is very common in fiberglass work, it's cured with a teeny bit of catalyst. Stinky stuff, less expensive.

Epoxy- typically uses a higher ratio of hardener- 1:5 to 1:1... more expensive, many different viscosities (thick glue to runny liquid).

And several types of resin designed for pouring into molds, to make "resin" or "polymer" castings.

All catalyzed/hardened resins give off heat when curing. Small thin layer, no issue; big blob (or a cup full)- lots of heat, could melt adjacent plastic if used that way (like pouring into hull bottom for some reason).

PM
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:57 PM
Derby, UK
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Pete.