HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2007, 12:03 AM
Italy, Umbria, Perugia
Joined Sep 2006
85 Posts
Discussion
Receiver Compatibility?? Old School Radio!

Hi all.
I hope some of you can offer me some advice. I have a very old 29mhz 7ch Sanwa/Airtronics EX70 Excellence series radio set, with the original 7ch rx. I'm having range problems, (ground test achieves only 10m before severe problems and about 100m in the air). Unless you have any suggestions on how to get better range, I think it may be time to upgrade the receiver. I'm not ready to upgrade the whole set, so I'd like some ideas on what I can do.

Is it as simple as buying any "run o' the mill" 29Mhz FM 7ch rx, or is there more to it? How do I know if my TX is positive or negative shift?

I look forward to your input.

Kind regards,
Scott
coffeegeek is offline Find More Posts by coffeegeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2007, 02:18 AM
Belgium, Lessines
Joined Dec 2004
284 Posts
Hi,

Did you checked the electrical continuity of the Tx aerial? Oil and dirt can make very bad contacts between sections over years.

Daniel
Daniel7866 is offline Find More Posts by Daniel7866
Old Feb 06, 2007, 09:33 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,202 Posts
Hi Scott,
To my knowledge shift is only an issue on 72 MHz. Where in the world do you fly on 29MHz? It's helpfull if your profile shows the country that you are located in, especially with radio related questions.
Best regards,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 06, 2007, 05:45 PM
Italy, Umbria, Perugia
Joined Sep 2006
85 Posts
Thanks Pete,
I've updated my profile. Daniel, thanks for your advice. I checked the continuity and found the last segment is not making continuous contact. If I jiggle the antenna while measuring continuity it drops in and out on the last segment. I'll clean it and see how it goes.
I still need advice on replacing the rx, so if you have any ideas i welcome them.

Kind regards,
Scott
Old Feb 06, 2007, 06:07 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Most of 29 Mhz is part of the 10 meter Amateur Radio band in Australia. Is it currently used for radio control there?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Feb 07, 2007, 03:56 AM
Italy, Umbria, Perugia
Joined Sep 2006
85 Posts
Hi Mike,
Yes, in Australia 29Mhz, 36Mhz, and 40Mhz are used for RC.