HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:49 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Discussion
Want to get one of these Coaxial helis, which one ?

Gentlemen, thinking about getting one of these type of helicopters for messing around inside the house/front yard. This will be my first for this type of helicopter. Being so many makes and models out there, which one do you guys recommend ?

Also, depending which one I get, what upgrades do you recommend that really make a difference in performance not for anykind of bling, bling ? Thanks in advance.

Marcusg
marcusg is offline Find More Posts by marcusg
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:14 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
I was in the market for one of these coax helis (but am now happy with my new airhogs reflex) and after reading much about the lamas and blade cx's I was set on buying the Dynam Vortex heli because its supposedly more stable and durable than the others mentioned. Another choice which emerged was the Robinson 22 which seems alot like a vortex but under a different name.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Feb 05, 2007, 04:46 AM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
The cheapest/best for you in the USA I suppose would be the Esky Lama V3, but the Blade CX2 looks like a gunship My friend's just bought one over here in England and it flies great!
Don;t know what the US price is like for the Twister Medevac if you want to go the M.A.S.H route.
There is also the Hirobo XRB SR Lama (I've got one) - expensive, but very nice - helps you learn about blade tracking; some of the others aren't adjustable.

EDIT - go for the one which has spares backup in your LHS!

Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old Feb 05, 2007, 07:50 AM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
I am new to this hobby having purchased an E-Flight Blade CX2 a couple days after Christmas. I love this heli!! It flies great, looks outrageously awesome, has the new DSM tx (no interference from any other RC tx's), and parts are cheap and available at almost any local hobby shop. The price is a little higher, $189 in most cases, but the heli is rock solid. Mine will hover hands free for up to 20 seconds. I have attached a picture of my BCX2 with the stersman carbon fiber boom.

Good luck.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old Feb 05, 2007, 05:04 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Thanks a-lot fellas for the help. I went ahead and just ordered a Lama V3 from Helidirect. Hope I made the right decision. Is their any upgrades that you guys recommend not for bling, bling but that actually help performance or should I just keep this bone stock ? Also where can I get a nice scale body for this thing ? Thanks again.

Marcusg
marcusg is offline Find More Posts by marcusg
Old Feb 05, 2007, 05:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg
Thanks a-lot fellas for the help. I went ahead and just ordered a Lama V3 from Helidirect. Hope I made the right decision. Is their any upgrades that you guys recommend not for bling, bling but that actually help performance or should I just keep this bone stock ? Also where can I get a nice scale body for this thing ? Thanks again.

Marcusg
Good choice! The CNC inner shaft is a good upgrade.
STi489 is offline Find More Posts by STi489
Old Feb 05, 2007, 05:26 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg
I went ahead and just ordered a Lama V3 from Helidirect. Hope I made the right decision. Marcusg
You did good! I have more than one from helidirect and they all fly great. Takes a bit of trimming out to get them hovering like a hummingbird, but not that difficult if you read all the related topics and take your time.
Out-of-the box pre-flight, make sure your blades are loose enough to slowly fall away under their own weight when you hold your Lama on it's side. Make sure the flybar is straight and is level with the blade grips. Carefully hold the heli by the sides and throttle up and check top blade tracking. Set Tx trims to neutral and throttle and throttle trim to lowest positions. You more than likely will not have to make adjustments to the gain pot, but will have to tweak the proportional pot.
Mine are all stock, can't see any benefit performance wise to the CNC parts, but not a bad choice if you anticipate crashing a lot!
GOOD LUCK!
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Feb 05, 2007, 09:44 PM
Joined Mar 2006
72 Posts
I just bought a Lamav3 for a first heli and it flys great ,great deal for 100.00. I also bought a blade on ebay for 107.00 and will compare them when it gets here, Im pretty impressed with the Lama through.
Fly Guru is offline Find More Posts by Fly Guru
Old Feb 05, 2007, 10:03 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
get the lama, you cant go wrong
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf
Old Feb 05, 2007, 11:05 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2006
433 Posts
I agreed with the other.ESKY is the value for money coaxial you can get.
Hazy is offline Find More Posts by Hazy
Old Feb 06, 2007, 05:36 AM
FLYING MAKES MY ARMS SORE
Joined Jan 2007
327 Posts
Yeh yeh lama v3, its the nuts
switchback7 is offline Find More Posts by switchback7