HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2004
464 Posts
Discussion
help i'm broke!

Help I'm broke (normal for me lately though)

and find myself in the needs for a project to do..... ok so i got a flying bug after a local rc aution i went to over the weekend......

so help me pick out a project to do.....

here is what i have available.......

2 hs50 servos
1 3s 2100 lipo pack (maxbatteries.com)
more johnson 250's than i can count.......
a selection of receivers (i can steal from my unicorn, my zagi, my slowstick etc)....
a couple speed 400's (from unicorn and zagi)
a variety of esc's.....
and i should have around here a 2s lipo pack (not sure where it is)

I am having trouble finding fanfold here, so will have to result to coroplast, papercovered foam board, or eps foam.......

Any suggestions on what i can build to satisfy my cravings?

thanks

Aaron
asjeep is offline Find More Posts by asjeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:12 PM
Joined Oct 2004
494 Posts
Aflying wing came to mind but you already have those. Do you want something aerobatic like maybe a profile plane?

TreeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TreeFlyer
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2004
464 Posts
i have never tried one.... i am in colorado lately nothing but snow perhaps something with skis LOL but a wing would be good too i know hat to expect when flying them I think half the fun will be building ......
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:21 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
An STC would be fun with skis, but the 2100 3S would be a bit much, maybe the larger full fuse STC for photograhpy to carry the weight of the battery and skis.... just thinking out loud. I really like the STC, it's a blast to fly.
Lukejt is offline Find More Posts by Lukejt
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2004
464 Posts
i also saw the thread on the noodle looked finda fun to build anyways lol but i am afraid the 3s 2100 would be too much for my j250 originally i got it for the unicorn and the zagi, but the brushless i have takes too many amps for the pack as well .... go fig......
Old Feb 05, 2007, 03:52 AM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
I wouldn't know how to make them from coroplast, but you could have a look at the capricorn (gemini lookalike). It still classifies as a flying wing, but I would expect it to be a lot different than a zagi.
btw: use a smaller prop if your bl draws too much current. High rpms -> higher induced resistance -> less current. Even with 16 Amps you could haul a few ponds around.
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old Feb 05, 2007, 04:17 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
Maybe a twin 400 if you can make a matched pair of motors. Or a push-pull twin. The LiPo can probably supply two motors. Do you have a brushed ESC that could handle two 400's in parallel?
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Feb 05, 2007, 04:45 AM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
Or even funnier: put two j250's in series and two in parallel. A four engined plane looks cool, and with the power per motor reduced, it won't eat your motors that fast. If you have a ESC that can handle 1 j250 on 3 cells, it can handle this layout too. Or use two ESCs and use differential throttling.
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB