SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 04, 2007, 06:53 AM
Registered User
JWilliams2's Avatar
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Discussion
Need simple, easy-to-find kit for first-time builder.

I have never built a plane or any model since maybe a little plastic tank as a kid and I would like an easy (at least within reason) kit plane to build (definitely it will end up electric). I need something cheap in the $50 range and probably would end up picking it up locally, so what's a good plane to look out for?

My basic criteria, besides overall easy/quality of the kit, are that I'd like a 3D plane, but alternatively might want something that can battle the wind pretty well (although this won't be a large plane).

No offense to cub flyers but I might want something with a bit more "sass", like either a war bird or a 3d plane in appearance or something, and probably not a biplane.

Electronics are no consideration now and will come down the line later. All I can currently budget is a kit, plus whatever minimal supplies I need to complete it
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2007, 07:00 AM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Have a look at the mountain models stuff..easy to build fully laser cut lightweight aerobats.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25_29_76

Best kits are never available locally....oh and the tantrum switchback and mini flash are really well known planes with loads of build threads on em.

As long as you are beyond the 'oops which way do I push the stick' stage, they are strong enough for hard landings, but a lawn dart will turn them back into kits.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
Registered User
JWilliams2's Avatar
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Have a look at the mountain models stuff..easy to build fully laser cut lightweight aerobats.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25_29_76

Best kits are never available locally....oh and the tantrum switchback and mini flash are really well known planes with loads of build threads on em.

As long as you are beyond the 'oops which way do I push the stick' stage, they are strong enough for hard landings, but a lawn dart will turn them back into kits.
Great, actually I was reading about the miniflash elsewhere which is why I posted this. It looks like it could be a decent 3d plane and is not badly priced, plus apparently the parts kind of do fit together pretty easily

EDIT: BTW, how much of these planes can be built before the electronics are put in? Is it possible to do the finish on the plane including covering the wings? I kind of envision finishing the plane and then staring at it while I ponder the electronics.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:55 AM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Dangerous..the more I build the earlier the servos and snakes go in!

And the motor.. you may then take them out, but at lest you know they will fit without having to do keyhole surgery later on..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 03:58 PM
A Clinger
rclark's Avatar
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Actually the MiniFlash can be completely built before putting in the electronics. Nothing here that 'require' installation before. For the wing aileron servos, just run a string from the servo area out the side of the wing so it will be 'easy' to pull the servo wire later. That really is it. Basically you'll have an 'ARF' at that point .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 04:12 PM
Registered User
rtherbe's Avatar
Lancaster,PA
Joined Apr 2003
450 Posts
That Switchback looks like a real nice simple build and the consesus is she flies great...
rtherbe is offline Find More Posts by rtherbe
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 04:17 PM
A Clinger
rclark's Avatar
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
I'd agree with that. The SB is even easier than the MF as it doesn't have the rounded turtle deck. It was my first build.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 04:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Check out www.m-a-e.com A lot forthe money and well designed. CA
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 04:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
No offense to cub flyers but I might want something with a bit more "sass", like either a war bird or a 3d plane in appearance or something, and probably not a biplane.
Please excuse me for asking this, but in going over your other posts I get the impression that you've never actually flown an rc plane before. If this is true, then may I recommend starting out with something that will give you a chance to actually learn to fly? Warbirds and 3D planes certainly look impressive, but they are not what you want at this stage of the game.

If you're already an accomplished pilot, then I apologize for my assumptions...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2007, 05:17 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Well he could still buy and build the Switchback. It is a very sweet plane.

And with an instructor, it would be the perfect plane.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 05:20 PM
ODB VI September 2014
1987tc's Avatar
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
He could also buy a Dandy with the big wing and the Switchback Sport and have the best of both worlds!
It is easy to set the wings up to interchange.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Well he could still buy and build the Switchback. It is a very sweet plane.

And with an instructor, it would be the perfect plane.

Frank
Hi Frank,

Sweet looking plane! Ok, here's a stupid question for ya. Why do so many planes like that have square fuses up front? Wouldn't that make it less aerodynamic? Or is there something here I'm missing? I've always wanted to ask that question, because I see a lot of planes shaped like that.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2007, 05:54 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Frank,

Sweet looking plane! Ok, here's a stupid question for ya. Why do so many planes like that have square fuses up front? Wouldn't that make it less aerodynamic? Or is there something here I'm missing? I've always wanted to ask that question, because I see a lot of planes shaped like that.

Chuck

Chuck,

Well that's a good question. Although I have no real idea why I can only guess. Maybe someone else can chime in after.

Here are my guesses:

1. At these low reynolds numbers, I don't think the square fuselage vs a rounded one would make much of a difference.

2. It's easier to design and build a square fuselage for these type of Parkflyers.

Frank

PS Thanks for the kind words on my plane.

PPS The Dandy is also another sweet MM/Laser Arts plane.
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 06:44 PM
Registered User
JWilliams2's Avatar
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Please excuse me for asking this, but in going over your other posts I get the impression that you've never actually flown an rc plane before. If this is true, then may I recommend starting out with something that will give you a chance to actually learn to fly? Warbirds and 3D planes certainly look impressive, but they are not what you want at this stage of the game.

If you're already an accomplished pilot, then I apologize for my assumptions...
I have flown only a Sky Fly, a $100 RTF. I would like to build a kit plane, though. Your point is well received, though--I've no intention at all in flying a balsa plane that I put some real time into without getting some more flight time, but as long as I build it and let it sit in my basement unflown, at least it can't break and until I can get some more hobby budget on the go, a kit would be much cheaper than a full flyer at this point
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2007, 01:57 PM
Registered User
JWilliams2's Avatar
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
FWIW, my local stores carry tons of "House of Balsa" kits and also a brand named Duss (I think that was it)...
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion need advice on a balsa kit for a first time builder GOK Australia 9 May 29, 2007 07:33 AM
Discussion What to build for a first time builder??e Flyboy03051 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 13 Sep 24, 2006 06:48 PM
Advice/recommendation for FFF/elevon plane for first-time builder micsaund Foamies (Kits) 2 Aug 28, 2005 08:27 PM
Can someone recommend a easy 3D balsa plane for first time balsa builder? picasso 3D Flying 7 Mar 31, 2004 08:44 AM
X250 ok for first time builder? Kosh Electric Plane Talk 15 Oct 09, 2001 11:59 AM