HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2007, 12:05 AM
anyone else on 27?
santa barbara, ca
Joined Mar 2003
51 Posts
Discussion
The plastic pinion gear keeps spinning off the prop shaft on my Parkzone FW-190

After a hard crash the black plastic pinion gear on my Parkzone Focke Wulf 190 detached from the motor shaft and ended up in the back of the fuselage.

While I was glueing my plane back together I snapped the pinion gear back onto the motor shaft and applied a liberal dose of 5 minute epoxy, but earlier today the gear busted loose again mid-flight, and the sudden loss of power resulted in a tree landing.

Is there anything I can do to keep that little plastic gear from coming loose in the future? If not, does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement metal pinion gear?

Thanks.
arena is offline Find More Posts by arena
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2007, 01:22 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena
After a hard crash the black plastic pinion gear on my Parkzone Focke Wulf 190 detached from the motor shaft and ended up in the back of the fuselage.

While I was glueing my plane back together I snapped the pinion gear back onto the motor shaft and applied a liberal dose of 5 minute epoxy, but earlier today the gear busted loose again mid-flight, and the sudden loss of power resulted in a tree landing.

Is there anything I can do to keep that little plastic gear from coming loose in the future? If not, does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement metal pinion gear?

Thanks.
Well first thing to try is scuffing up the motor shaft with a file. This should give something for the epoxy to attach to.
Other then that, you may simply have to buy a new 480 motor(they are about $11)
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 04, 2007, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
Once that pinion gear has spun loose you might as well throw it away and apply a new one. Parkzone sells the pinions in a bag of 2 for $1.99---and it doesn't take a hard crash to spin one. You can roughen the motor shaft like said above, stick it in a vise and apply 800# of pressure to deform the shaft into an oval shape, use red,blue and or green loctite, epoxy, CA.......doesn't matter, the new pinion is still going to spin loose in no time. I average maybe 4 flights per pinion, and the pinions will spin in flight. You'll realize it when the plane quits moving forward but you can hear the engine! And that is why my PZ P-51 and FW 190 are in a pile on the floor collecting dust at the moment. You might want to go ahead and order one or two of the replacement "internal structures" @ $2 each because the battery tray area is going to start coming apart. When the front of the tray finally gives way (and CA doesn't seem to bond the plastic) while you are flying you'll realize that also, as the battery will slide forward into the gearbox and rest assured your FW 190 WILL make a 90 turn towards the ground and go straight in!

Somebody somewhere has found a metal gear, but you'll have to search a lot of forums to find it mentioned!

Good Luck with your PZ plane.
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
Last edited by Rube Goldberg; Feb 04, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 02:45 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
its a brasspinion, once it breaks free, it's usualy streached to far to ever fit again. new pinions, as mentioned above are cheap, but putting them on can be tricky without streaching the new ones. easiest to buy a new $11 motor and gear and forget the hastle.

If you have an RC car shop near by, you might try them, and see if they have a pinion that attaches with a set screw.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
Old Feb 05, 2007, 09:18 AM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Maybe its time to graduate

Hum... Rube about described my experience with the ParkZone Flyers to a "T". All that stuff got old as my skill level increased

Brings back old memories.......as I got to be a better pilot I hopped it all up to Lipo and I was flying wide open all the time.

Basically .......I had outgrown the limited PZ parkies. All the battery tray issues ect caused me to ignore this stuff and I new it was time to move on to direct drive outrunners, balsa , bigger planes , better planes ect.

What I found was in the end of fixng and fiddling with small planes of cheap materials I could buy bigger planes and better planes and have less worries.

Sort of the evolution of a Parkflyer I guess.
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Feb 05, 2007, 11:06 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatcher
Hum... Rube about described my experience with the ParkZone Flyers to a "T". All that stuff got old as my skill level increased

Brings back old memories.......as I got to be a better pilot I hopped it all up to Lipo and I was flying wide open all the time.

Basically .......I had outgrown the limited PZ parkies. All the battery tray issues ect caused me to ignore this stuff and I new it was time to move on to direct drive outrunners, balsa , bigger planes , better planes ect.

What I found was in the end of fixng and fiddling with small planes of cheap materials I could buy bigger planes and better planes and have less worries.

Sort of the evolution of a Parkflyer I guess.
Well, not for everyone. I have both electrics and glow planes. I enjoy flying the electrics everybit as much as the larger glow planes. Plus, we have an electric field with paved runway less then 2 blocks away from my house whereas the glow field is 18 miles away.
The Parkzone planes are not limited at all if you modify them to have rudder and put brushless motors and lipos in them.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:20 PM
Kokomo Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Well, not for everyone. I have both electrics and glow planes. I enjoy flying the electrics everybit as much as the larger glow planes. Plus, we have an electric field with paved runway less then 2 blocks away from my house whereas the glow field is 18 miles away.
The Parkzone planes are not limited at all if you modify them to have rudder and put brushless motors and lipos in them.
Please elaborate. I have a FW 190 I would like to replace the motor in. What motor do you recommend?
i have a Mega 16/15/4 that I could put in a gear box but I need to know a little more.
PsYcHoTiC OnE is offline Find More Posts by PsYcHoTiC OnE
Old Jul 27, 2007, 09:54 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,869 Posts
If you wish to use the stock gearbox look for 28mm inrunner motors in the 2000kv range. My Wulf has the EFlite Six Series 2000kv motor and flies very nicely. Some say try the Typhoon motor but that did not work out well as the kv rating is too high for a 3-to-1 gearbox. You will need to remove the ridge in the gearbox to enable the brushless motor to install properly. Short work with a Dremel tool.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
1/2 scale
Pitt Meadows. B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2006
148 Posts
pinions

to all of you that have spun the plastic pinion gear in the PZ 190, I bought a replacement motor at my LHS that was for the PZ Cub, it's the same motor, comes with a metal pinion. Simply install in the 190 and off you go.
Cheers, Dave.
mogman is offline Find More Posts by mogman