HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2002, 11:37 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Multiplex ASH 26

Here are some pictures of my Multiplex ASH 26 , I have had this kit for some time now, almost finished, but never got around to finish and fly it because :
Around here ( Cincinnati, OH) there are no decent slopes,
I did not dare to hang on the winch,
There was nobody around for aerotowing.
But recently I met some body who also is into scale sailplanes and aerotowing, so we will have the first flight soon !

Specs :
Wing Span : 4,05 m - 160 in.
Length : 1,69 m - 67 in.
Weight : 5,1 kgs - 180 oz.
Wing area : 81 dm2 - 1255 sqin
Wing loading : 63 g/dm2 - 20,8 oz/sqft

Controls : Elevator, Rudder, Ailerons, Flaps, Spoilers, Retract, tow-release

Front view :

Overall:

Spoilers extended :

Tail group with TEK-probe :

Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2002, 01:41 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
What was your consern regarding winch?
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Sep 27, 2002, 02:08 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Re : winch

Just that I don't have a great deal, actually very little, experience with winch launching, and I am afraid of smashing her up in the process !

Michael
Old Sep 27, 2002, 02:59 PM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
283 Posts
Michael,

Go to the International Scale Soaring Association's website. If you look under Tech Tips, there is an article about winch launching large scale sailplanes. I have seen sailplanes in your size range winched launched.

Good luck,

Terry Throop
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Old Sep 27, 2002, 03:47 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
winch launching

Thanks, Terry, I know that article, I even have installed the dual side hooks on my 3.75m Flair Ka8, and launched it with the bridle, and it worked very well.
Even so I am a bit apprehensive about trying this with the ASH, but I guess I will follow your advice and try it !

Thanks, Michael
Old Sep 27, 2002, 06:03 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Just keep up the ground speed before rotation and dont go too steep at first. The winch is up to it since it can get up that ASK of yours...here a pic of mine...
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Sep 27, 2002, 08:31 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Launching

Thanks for the tip, Haldor !
That Ka8 is a nice sailplane, isn't it ?
I sold mine, in a fit of temporary insanity.....
Still have some pictures, though :

I think I'll have to build another one.

Michael
Old Oct 05, 2002, 09:10 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
ASH first flight

Well, today I finally got the ASH into the air, by aerotow, and I am still running around with a big grin on my face !

Even though it was the first flight for the ASH as well as my first aerotow ever, everything went off without a hitch, thanks to some really experienced tow-pilots !

I am now officially hooked on aerotowing ! It is so much more relaxing than winch launching, plus the added benefit of much higher release altitudes !

And the ASH is a really sweet sailplane !

Michael
Old Oct 06, 2002, 08:05 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
Michael:
Congradulations! Most people who aerotow for the first time have the same reaction. It is the safest and most relaxing way to launch a large scale sailplane. What you quickly discover, is that once above the boundary layer of the local atmosphere, the thermals are well developed and much easier to center in. TD ships are designed largely for boundry layer conditions.
Wayne Angevine has written a nice article on the physics of the boundary layer atmosphere and it is published on the Scale Soaring page under tech tips, here is a link.

Best
JD

http://www.scalesoaring.net/tips.html
scalesoar is offline Find More Posts by scalesoar
Old Oct 13, 2002, 01:26 AM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
I love scale ships and have flown off of slopes for many years but this aerotow thing is getting good to me. I've never thought about flatland soaring but I'm thinking of building a Waco CG4 and you just have to tow it. (with a C47 ofcoarse).

I wonder if there are any clubs in the SF bay area who regularly aerotow?

Earl
Duke58 is online now Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Oct 13, 2002, 08:04 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
Earl;
Yes you are in luck. The South Bay Soaring Club aerotows at least twice a month. There are a lot of people with expertise in this group.
http://www.sbss.org/
I hope that as this forum grows some more scale enthusiasts will become involved. I have links to many resources on my web site.
http://www.scalesoaring.net

John D.
scalesoar is offline Find More Posts by scalesoar
Old Oct 13, 2002, 09:58 AM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Thanks John, great web site there, I guess it's time for me to come down from the mountain and see what civilization has to offer

Earl
Duke58 is online now Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Nov 23, 2004, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor
What was your consern regarding winch?

Yeah, what is wrong with wench towing ... er um WINCH towing???

I remember the saddest showing of R/C STUPIDTY I have ever witness in some 18+ years of flying R/C:

I was a member of S.U.L.A. - the Soaring Union of Los Angeles. One Saturday morning out at Cal State Domingguez Hills College, a group from the Passadena Soaring Society came to visit. They were standoffish and arrogant, but they did have several scale 3 - 4 meter planes. We for the most part, were a middle class working club and seniors on fixed budgets. We flew Sagittas, Olympic IIs, Wanderers, and a few Larry Jolly planes; yes Larry was a club member, and I remember he and his son flying with us. He was one of the "million dollar" fliers in the club.

So, the Passadena guys set up thier winch and proceeded to fly ... for about 6 feet, when the plane rolled and nosed into the ground ... then another ... then another ... it was sad ... we wre laughing and crying at the same time! All that money in broken pieces! See these guys were plenty on cash , but lacking on knowlege ... you DON'T launch a scale 3-4 meter plane like you do a 2 meter - standard, by hand off the wench. You place the model on the ground and pull it into the air. You allow the speed of the model to increase until enough air speed has be achived to allow the wings to fuction.

We had an older gentleman in the club who finally got tired of watching this carnage. He got out is scale ASW (I think he and his son flew the real plane as I would see them towing thier glider in the white cacoon behind thier truck evey so often) and proceeded to ground launch and do a couple high speed flybys with the bird rolling.

Ever since that day, I realized its not the money that matters, but what you do with it that counts! Those guys from Passadena CA, really looked dumb!
Condor is offline Find More Posts by Condor
Last edited by Condor; Nov 23, 2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 03:39 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
358 Posts
Hi MTT

Its always nice to hear that another plane was born. I'm very happy for you and I understand just to well when u said that u still are runnig arround with a big grin in your face it looks just like that

I hope you get your fear over and try to launch this baby using a winch. You did it with the KA6 so why should it not work with the ASH.

You know that hte ASH has the same wing as the Alpina. Just as a side remark.

Saludos Landi
(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299913)
Landi is offline Find More Posts by Landi
Last edited by Landi; Nov 23, 2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
USA, MI, Woodhaven
Joined Feb 2003
260 Posts
What is the cost now for a Multiplex ASH 26??
Kilowatts is offline Find More Posts by Kilowatts