SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2007, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2007
60 Posts
Discussion
Traxxas Villain IV Motor Upgrades?

What motor upgrades are available for the Traxxas Villain IV? I just got one and I am pretty sure that a pair of 550 size mod motors will work, but I am not familiar which makes and models of mod motors come in reverse rotation to be able to maintain my counter rotating props.

Any advice?
ThunderboltV12 is offline Find More Posts by ThunderboltV12
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2007, 02:04 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Theres been threads already that would help you.Do a search.The motors turn in different directions because of how their wired,not because of differences in the motor themselves.Have you gone to the traxas website?,they may have some info that will be helpful.You can upgrade your Villian IV to Villian EX performace by changing out some components and going to 14.4v from 7.2v.Run a search for the other thread on this,it will help you.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Feb 03, 2007, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2006
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slocum
Theres been threads already that would help you.Do a search.The motors turn in different directions because of how their wired,not because of differences in the motor themselves.Have you gone to the traxas website?,they may have some info that will be helpful.You can upgrade your Villian IV to Villian EX performace by changing out some components and going to 14.4v from 7.2v.Run a search for the other thread on this,it will help you.
The motors Will be the same in either direction,IF they are neutral timed.
If not,the one used in reverse will need to be retimed.
fleetmaster is offline Find More Posts by fleetmaster
Old Feb 08, 2007, 09:43 PM
Maryland
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
there are tons of upgrades. I came over from offshoreelectrics.com forums. Lots of great vids and mod info. I chose to ditch my dual setup and go with a single 2700kvw brushless. Using a wire drive to a CF prop and twin 1.5" stainless turn fins. I made my own water pickup and use a oversized flush mount water outlet port. I've got a twin storm that I mod'd to run twin 2700kvw brushless motors. That arent timed. It it does kick to one side, but take off is soooo fast it hardly matters. I run 1.75" turn fins on her. They sell some pretty cool ones out there. I use an electric knife sharpener to keep them in good condition. PM me if you have any questions. I had a lot of help myself.
4200burner is offline Find More Posts by 4200burner
Old Feb 09, 2007, 07:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
60 Posts
I've been looking at offshore's website and I came across their Trinity motor package for my boat.

OK, so all I need are motors that are neutrally times, and I will be OK.

I would assume that their Trinity motor package is already set up for this since it is specifically being sold for Villain boats. I'll just hook up my water cooling system tot he whole thing and drop in a new ESC to convert it over to 14.4 or higher.

I already have a set of stainless turn fins, Octura prop shafts, and Octura X447 props which have helped out greatly. Should be even better with the mods.

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 09, 2007, 01:04 PM
Maryland
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
Are you running the stock esc? Only reason I ask. Is the motors themselves will be fine. Its the addition of the props that will cause some excess heat..... PM the seabasstard on there or steve vaccaro. i got tons of help. And I asked some questions, def noob dumb questions, looking back now. They are some great guys.
4200burner is offline Find More Posts by 4200burner
Last edited by 4200burner; Feb 09, 2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: corrected screen name of member
Old Feb 09, 2007, 05:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
60 Posts
Gotcha. I am running a stock ESC right now, but I am going to upgrade my ESC so I can do 14.4 and water cooling. If I had the ESC of the EX, I wouldn't bother, but I know that an upgraded ESC will be more efficient and handle the mod motors and props better.