HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2007, 09:29 AM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Discussion
Any News About RCX, March 31st & April 1st

While I was at the AMA Convention a few weeks ago, I saw information about a combined event that Model Airplane News magazine is hosting on March 31st and April 1st, 2007 at the Fairplex in Pomona California. It looks like a combined event with the RCX Show and the Model Airplane News Expo going on at the same time in the same building.

I had not seen any info about it here yet, and I was wondering if anyone went last year and if so, what was your opinion of the event. Also, who is planning on attending this years show.

Thanks!

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:23 PM
Escondido CA.
Joined Jul 2003
205 Posts
Hello Lucien,
I have been to RCX twice. One of the times was last year.
I have heard some airplane guys complaing that it isn't a RC event, but an RC car/truck event. They definitely lean towards cars/trucks, but there is a decent amount of planes there. I got the impression from the Model Airplane News advertisement that they are trying to get it more equal.

Not sure if you are thinking about going as innov8tivedesigns or just plain ol' Lucien My RCX/AMA show partner is bailing out on me for RCX so if you are interested in car pooling let me know.

Here is some video from last year. RCX 2006 Video

Matt
mtucker is offline Find More Posts by mtucker
Last edited by mtucker; Mar 12, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:56 PM
Escondido CA.
Joined Jul 2003
205 Posts
RCX Coupon

Attached is the JPEG version of an e-mail I received that gives > 1/2 off RCX 2007 admission. I removed the list of names from the carbon copy section for privacy.

Who doesn't like saving money!?!

Matt
mtucker is offline Find More Posts by mtucker
Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:07 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I went to RCX the last two years running. Both times the show was heavily oriented towards RC cars and trucks, but there was still enough RC plane stuff to interest me. The problem was that both times they were running GLOW trucks and cars - indoors - and the ear-splitting noise levels and nitro fumes filled the entire exhibit hall within minutes of the show opening its doors.

After twice paying a fair chunk of change to enter the show, having my eardrums assaulted with this racket, and leaving with burning eyes and sinuses and a splitting headache from the exhaust fumes and noise, I decided I was never going back to RCX until the organisers regained their senses, and moved the glow vehicles outdoors. Or ditched them altogether.

Running glow vehicles indoors in an enclosed space is not only idiotic, it is probably illegal, as participants and visitors are being exposed to very high levels of air pollution. Not to mention the noise pollution.

RCX organisers, please take heed. I would like to come and enjoy your show, but I will not do it if I am to be deafened and poisoned while I am there.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Mar 21, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:02 PM
Kat Builder
Bellflower, Calif.
Joined Apr 2004
712 Posts
Hi Folks...

This year, at the FairPlex, there will be an outside area available, but just who will be using it, I have not found out yet. The show will be in two buildings, and one "lot".

I'll be there all day Saturday, at the Rouge Squadron Booth, with my small swing wing TomKats (2, 4, and 10oz), and a whole bunch of Aero Ace planes (Modded and stock), and at least two of them will have my "teeter bar" aileron mod.

I'll be that old toothless man in a straw hat, with "bobber Bob" RCGroups sign on it. Looking fwd to seeing the faces that go with the names!!

Bob Reynolds
. ComeUpHere
Bobber Bob is offline Find More Posts by Bobber Bob
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:14 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Bob, if you are in contact with the organisers, it would be wonderful if you could determine whether or not they plan to run glow engines indoors and let us know on the thread. The presence of an outdoor area this time is promising. I would love to know for sure that the stinky/noisy stuff will be run outdoors where it will not poison everyone at the show.

Meantime, take earplugs and a gas mask, or scuba diving equipment with you. The last two years it was bad just being in the hall for an hour or two, I really felt bad for the exhibitors who had to be there all day, every day.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:38 PM
Kat Builder
Bellflower, Calif.
Joined Apr 2004
712 Posts
Hi Flies...

The information that I passed on, was only what a live person told me on the FaiPlex's Info Line.

Unlike the AMA Convention (where I had bought a couple of booths, and shared one with the Rouge Squadron), I am only the face in the booth that the Rouge Squadron got on its own.

And what I shared above was just what I hopped that the public information meant. BUT, I am hopfull !!! As I was put off also by all that NOISE !!!!!!

How I found the contact phone number (witch I did not save) was just doing a web search for the FairPlax, and it was on top of the list.

One thing more that I can share, is go north on FairPlex (rd or ave or), and when it "T"s into another road, just turn right, and it will be there in a short distance.

Bob Reynolds
. ComeUpHere
Bobber Bob is offline Find More Posts by Bobber Bob
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:36 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jan 2003
21 Posts
I'd like to let everyone know I'll be doing some live interviews and demos at www.therczone.com/live/. Be sure to tune in and tell your friends! Check the site for a schedule on Friday night.
therczone is offline Find More Posts by therczone
Last edited by therczone; Apr 23, 2008 at 06:16 PM.