HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2007, 12:24 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
What exactly is a russian black shark? I tend to be well informed of these russian helis but Ive never heard of that... And by the way. Those really are works of art. If I had one, I probably wouldnt fly it.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2007, 12:29 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
theres the AS350 micro from MS Composit if you want scale, as well as the CH46 Tandem from the same manufacturer... but as previously said, a scale heli is still usually a lot of work to make it really look good
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Feb 03, 2007, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2005
219 Posts
Kyohso caliber m24 is a nice scaled heli.
You will also get that nice sound of the blades chopping the air with this heli.
I have been flying it for a year now and I really like this micro heli.
I know many people condemn it. It took me a while to understand the characteristics of this heli, but once you got it, it will fly very nicely for you.
OETOMO is offline Find More Posts by OETOMO
Old Feb 03, 2007, 01:05 PM
Sidewalkers stand clear!
Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
212 Posts
Just in case i get one of those scale turbine heli's, is it illegal to fly your dog in it?

No really, i don't dare getting a scale micro/mini. My karma isn't the best these days.
But i love to see them fly and it should be more scales out there.
Cityflyer is offline Find More Posts by Cityflyer
Old Feb 03, 2007, 01:10 PM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
369 Posts
Hi Oetomo, that little Shweizer is a nice looking bird!

Two questions...

1) With it's faults in mind, do you think it's a good first heli (assuming some simulator time)?
2) Do you know if it's available without the transmitter? (got two of those already)
CzechSix is offline Find More Posts by CzechSix
Old Feb 03, 2007, 02:26 PM
Everyone crashes sometime
Orlando, FL and Washington D.C.
Joined May 2006
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Or Die
What exactly is a russian black shark? I tend to be well informed of these russian helis but Ive never heard of that... And by the way. Those really are works of art. If I had one, I probably wouldnt fly it.
I think it is just another version of their KA-50.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/ka50/

Carl
quickster47 is offline Find More Posts by quickster47
Old Feb 03, 2007, 03:01 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
I was wondering what I was going to use my Best Buys gift cards for..

Now I know....

A new keyboard, I drooled so much I just shorted it out
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Feb 03, 2007, 05:45 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Heres my KA-50 BCX Blackshark
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Feb 03, 2007, 07:44 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
723 Posts
I am a novice heli pilot....at least on the r/c side of the world and am flying a Quick QJ8, Corona and just bought a T-rex. I'd like to do some scale versions now and the T-rex is what I'd like to convert.

How are people solving the upswept tail on so many of them...like a Huey? I can se how it would be a lot easier with a motorized tail. Being an ex-huey driver I just can't bring myself not to have the tail rotor up where it belongs.

I'd love to see some shots of some scale birds with the fuselages off so I can see the mechanics.

Just idle thoughts from someone trying to figure things out.
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Feb 03, 2007, 08:57 PM
Joined Oct 2005
219 Posts
This is my first fixed pitch single rotor heli, so I do not have any reference to compare with in judging whether this is a good heli for beginner. One thing I can say is that once you have trimmed it proper, it is very stable in hover.
I have to change the battery to 3S lipo and added weight in front to balance the heli.
I also changed the tail motor to a bigger one by Esky.
With the above changes it flew great.

I changed the main gear to aluminium type and replaced the tail boom with the carbon rod type, all these from Kyosho. But it was flying great even without these changes.

Make sure that the flybars are parallel to the mast head and the pinion gear is not meshed too tightly to the main gear. If you do that you should have a nice flying heli on your hand.

Heat sinks and blackening the motors with black ink marker seem to extend the life of both main and tail motors.

I have not tried using a different transmitter with this heli, but I do not see why it should not work. I have not seen any sold without the transmitter, it is supposed to be an RTF item.

Later on I added some
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechSix
Hi Oetomo, that little Shweizer is a nice looking bird!

Two questions...

1) With it's faults in mind, do you think it's a good first heli (assuming some simulator time)?
2) Do you know if it's available without the transmitter? (got two of those already)
OETOMO is offline Find More Posts by OETOMO
Old Feb 03, 2007, 09:12 PM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,633 Posts
Hi Greg, hope this helps

Plenty of 'off the shelf' scale micro helis body shells at the toyshop. Just go look in the plastic kit section But none that fly, without some help.
Here's my old Huey, just had its 2nd birthday.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/107479933...1/*pigsdontfly

This guy has done lots of them, I did mine after seeing his stuff
http://liaison.ms.u-tokyo.ac.jp/agus...o-plastic.html
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Feb 03, 2007, 09:55 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
That is some great work there! This thread may be changing the direction I go in for my next helicopter project. I was thinking about the comments related to the time involved in creating these scale models, and I really think that it is proportional to the time it takes to learn the 3D maneuvers that lots of people enjoy. After hours of patience and quite a bit of money spent you have something cool to show for your trouble, whether it be a nice scale model or some new moves, it all depends on what your fancy is!
rdogg32 is offline Find More Posts by rdogg32
Old Feb 03, 2007, 10:13 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I still think you come out cheaper going the scale route. T-rex for example How many times does an individual crash trying to accomplish a 3D maneuver. I can Imagine at least several just learning inverted flight with nose in or out. Average cost mabey $40 bucks a crash, 5 crashes, 200.00 bucks (Im low balling I know) Wipe out a battery pack is about $70.00. Wipe out a Gyro Hmmm, $140.00. FG Blades $40.00 for some cheapies . So, you can see it dosent compute.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Feb 04, 2007, 06:45 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
I just do not understand the fascination with 3D. I like just flying around, scale like. Maybe it is because I cannot comprehend how to even move the sticks to do 3D. Maybe in the future, a flip, or roll. We'll see. I have yet to see a real heli stop in mid air and bing out some "tictocs".
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Feb 04, 2007, 07:08 AM
Shhhhh
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Jan 2006
609 Posts
My $0.02....what you can create for $50AUD....by buying a crap heli and using the canopy to make a Twister CP/Blade Cp look better....and it seems to fly better tooo
Roachie is offline Find More Posts by Roachie