HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2007, 07:54 PM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
374 Posts
Discussion
why aren't there more scale helis?

I'm not currently flying heli but I'm thinking about getting into it. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed at the dearth of scale helis available though. It seems a decent flying scale heli isn't possible without a significant scratch building effort. I'm not interested in extreme, 3d or inverted flying, just something that looks and flies like a real helicopter.

Is there just no market for them? Are there nice scale helis that I'm simply not finding?
CzechSix is offline Find More Posts by CzechSix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2007, 08:33 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
I think that they are not as common as scale airplanes because weight is such a critical issue with helicopters. There are scale bodies that you can buy that will fit the right heli with not too much effort.

http://helihobby.com/html/fuselage.html

This link has some of the more common fuselages and if you pair it with the right chassis, there wont be to many obstacles and you will have a nice looking heli.
rdogg32 is offline Find More Posts by rdogg32
Old Feb 02, 2007, 08:44 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,016 Posts
I agree! A thin plastic shell weighs the same scale or non-scale. GIVE US SOME SCALE HELI'S!
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old Feb 02, 2007, 08:47 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
More people are into performance or at the very least attracted to performance features. A heavier scale heli is counter productive.

Another factor is that a really cool original canopy is easier to manufacture than a realy good scale fusalage.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Feb 02, 2007, 09:03 PM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
374 Posts
Thanks for the link rdogg, some of those are very nice.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 09:11 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Mine looks pretty nice, if I ever get it totally done.

Below a few more for the ECO 8 made by different people

Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Feb 02, 2007, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Hi Czechsix,

Check out www.miteecopter.com, he will be launching his helis this summer (US) but he is designing and building purpose built scale helicopters.

www.darthdrk.4t.com that is rcgrouper's Darth's online shop for his huge line of Micro, 400 and corona fuses. Highly reccommended.

And I am in the middle of developing (Collaborativly with Darth and Rosella) a micro-scale MD520N Notar.

Regards,

Ben
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:39 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP
More people are into performance or at the very least attracted to performance features. A heavier scale heli is counter productive.

Another factor is that a really cool original canopy is easier to manufacture than a realy good scale fusalage.
There you go again, not really knowing what thou speakest about.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Last edited by darthdrk; Feb 02, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:50 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Comming: All these are micros since this is the micro heli section of the forum
Bell412
UH-1H Huey
Airwolf
Bell222
Tiger
Hind D
And more
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:52 PM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
374 Posts
All very cool models, gents. Still though, they are all nearly 100% mods though, right? Too bad there's not many purpose built off-the-shelf models. I look forward to seeing what miteecopter.com comes up with.

Ben & Darth, beautiful Notar!

Thanks for the input and links, good to know I'm not the only one who appreciates the scale look.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:00 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
'Cause I crash too much!!
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:02 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Darthdrk you have issues I am not aware of? I give my honest opinion and you flame me.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Last edited by Gino CP; Feb 02, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:05 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
oops forgot my other one. I had to trim the rear of the body a lot more than I wanted to to fit this particular helicopter. But it still looks pretty scale to Magnum PI's

Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:13 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cp
Darthdrk you have issues I am not aware of?
Yeah, I know.
Scale helies arent counter productive. In the heli realm, there are those that Like scale and some that could care less. Usually after flying a heli for a while, you will begin to find what you like best. Some like performance helis for 3D and some like scale. Trust me, I know, there are alot of guys out there flying scale mabey not as many flying regular pod and boom but there is a lot.
They arent counter productive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechSix
All very cool models, gents. Still though, they are all nearly 100% mods though, right?
Most of the bodies I do require no mods. Some may require an elevated tail and some may require wheel landing gear. Basically these are BCP/CP2/Micro heli ready