Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:53 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Discussion
first test of my Beaver wing I burned myself in 16 MPH wind

first test of my Beaver wing I burned myself.
I wasn't able to film it but what a difference. TEMP 12 degrees F
specs
truerc. com 3 cell 10 C 1500 MAH
GWS 4600 KV inrunner S2 (280-1) Gear with
APC 7050 prop
The wind was 16 MPH and it handled it great, of course slower wind speed would have been nicer but it cuts the wind great, I only opened it up a few times and it screams but handled good, with very little throw about 3/8 on the rudder it turns on a dime... any more throw than that and it was evil, the TM is the same, the faster they go the less rudder throw is used I had gotten rid of my other Beavers because they were slow and didn't handle the wind over 6 to 8 MPH winds tops, and hey weren't very acrobatic at all, great plane for beginners very forgiving and easy to handle but got boring real fast after you learn to fly..
since I can burn my own wings now I bought another Beaver to try the wing on...
Now the second test was with the wing I burned for one of my friends who doesn't fly all that well
His plane a Beaver stock with my wing on it
Motor 350 witha D Gear 6.6-1
Prop 1080 slow flyer
truerc.com 1500 Mah 10 c 2 cell
I didn't think he could fly in that wind with a 350 at all, he had no problem at all, he took it off several times, landing was tough because of the high wind but the stock wing would have never got up.
I also burned the wing for the Slow Stick and what a difference it made, I used a 47 inch wide wing by 9 1/2 and it did well and then I cut it down to 40 inchs and it flew even better, On the slow stick I wanted a wing to get up quickly and would float with no power very good.. well this did both really well for taking photo's.
Now the slow stick is a blast to fly also when I am not using it for a camera plane.
when we get a day where it is clear and not 16 MPH winds I will make some movie's
Heres a Photo of the beaver wing I made on the beaver, I painted it Pink and black like the candy "good N Plenty, got tired of yellow and the reds
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2006
188 Posts
That is awesome! So... how much for one?
akdude47 is offline Find More Posts by akdude47
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:15 AM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
very interesting. Could you do a side by side comparison of the stock wing vs the one you made?

I'd like to know how you changed the chord, aspect ratio and such to improve the performance. My slow stick handles ok, but a new wing design sounds very appealing...
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:38 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge98
very interesting. Could you do a side by side comparison of the stock wing vs the one you made?

I'd like to know how you changed the chord, aspect ratio and such to improve the performance. My slow stick handles ok, but a new wing design sounds very appealing...
There is no compareson
I took a new slow stick wing (I have 5 of them) and drew or copied the wing shape of the original and made a pattern and wire burned it
I have flown the ss for 3 years now, learned to fly with it, its a great beginners plane but there again it gets boring fast after you learn to fly and does not handle the wind worth a darn, now it does.
I new it would fly better with a flat bottom and did it ever..
Steelhead Products sells a ss wing that is very good but I wanted several like The TM and Beaver so I made my own wire burner and I can experiment by cutting down the wing size
Heres Steelheads link, I was going to order some when I decided to make my own burner and he didn't make them for the Beaver or TM.
I have a brushless on my SS but with the stock wing it was O-k but didn't float as well and sure didn't handle the wind as good..
By the way I have had a lot of inquires about making the TM wings to sell and no doubpt there will be on these, I don't plan on selling any, to much trouble for me, it would cut into my flying time.
I am going to contact Steelhead and see if he would make The TM and Beaver wing for those who want them, he can do it better and he is in the buisness
http://www.steelheadproducts.com/

Also when I glue the wings together Tallflyer from this site really helped me out with this Tip, Use a hot glue gun instead of the polyurthanne glues I was using
I bought two at walmarts, one is blue low Heat and the other one is Pink High heat, Tallflyer said to use low heat but the $1.97 (mini size) ones from walmart the pink (high Heat) was better, I also experimented by glueing just flat together and then I poked holes in the joints to be glued with a tooth pick and it held even better, the sharp end of a bamboo skewer works even better, its a strong glue joint, I glued a couple of scraps of a wing together and bent them from the ends and they doubled way over and finanly broke the foam but not where the hot glue was
Last edited by steve ypsi mi; Feb 02, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 12:03 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
ahhh, I understand now. Thank you for the link.

I currently have a SS that I've been flying for a bit and while it's fun, it needs a serious wing overhaul. The plane gets tossed around in any serious wind conditions which is bad for me since I almost always have to deal with winds around 8mph. I'm using a 2208/18T motor with a 10x4.6 prop on a 2500mah 2s Lipo. The plane can't handle full throttle too well with the current wing but she flys great at 30%. Maybe the new wing would help with the full throttle issue as well. Have you tried the new wing at high thrust settings?
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:04 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ypsi mi
first test of my Beaver wing I burned myself.
I wasn't able to film it but what a difference. TEMP 12 degrees F
Well Steve we're about 24 hours behind you with getting those temps. When we get the zero F predicted, wonder what you'll be at?

Flew my float Beaver off the snow yesterday.

A while back, maybe a year, there were some issues here with ST giving some incredible delays, after orders were paid for. I don't know if he did, or not, make good on them eventually. I do remember the reasons posted ranging from flooding, to being in the hospital, to a number of others. I guess these 1man outfits are day-to-day. I'd check to see if orders have been properly filled to this very day, if it were me.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:55 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge98
ahhh, I understand now. Thank you for the link.

I currently have a SS that I've been flying for a bit and while it's fun, it needs a serious wing overhaul. The plane gets tossed around in any serious wind conditions which is bad for me since I almost always have to deal with winds around 8mph. I'm using a 2208/18T motor with a 10x4.6 prop on a 2500mah 2s Lipo. The plane can't handle full throttle too well with the current wing but she flys great at 30%. Maybe the new wing would help with the full throttle issue as well. Have you tried the new wing at high thrust settings?
Thats the same thing I found even with a GWS 4600 inrunner at 28 ounces of thrust, it handled but not much better than a 350, couldn't open it up after setting the flying trim for a slower speed cruise because it would rise and the wind still moved it around. couldn't get a middle ground on flying slow and then speeding up.
Now I can fly at very slow speeds and then really fast on the same ele setting, its strange the TM and the Beaver both have to have the rudder control set so low or they don't handle well, more like Evil if the rudder throw is more than 3/8 of a inch or set just so the rudder touchs the outside edge of the fuse at the rudder, now the Slow Stick can use full throws and it handles well at slow or fast speeds.
Heres a E Starter with doc flying it and the first time I flew the new wing a week or so later we tried to fly close together to see if his E Starter which appeared a lot faster but the slow stick with the new wing stayed real close to him, if his was faster it wasn't much but it was hard to keep them close.
the movie is to give you a Idea how fast the SS is even though its not in the movie with the E Starter, he couldn't run away from my SS
in the next weeks when the weather calms I will try to get a movie of the E Starter and SS flying together to show how well the SS Flys now
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34851527&hl=en
Old Feb 02, 2007, 06:01 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
A while back, maybe a year, there were some issues here with ST giving some incredible delays, after orders were paid for. I don't know if he did, or not, make good on them eventually. I do remember the reasons posted ranging from flooding, to being in the hospital, to a number of others. I guess these 1man outfits are day-to-day. I'd check to see if orders have been properly filled to this very day, if it were me.

I didn't know that
Guess I won't post his link till I know.
Thanks scratch
Old Feb 02, 2007, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Nice job on the Beaver Steve but that color has got to go. It looks like a Good and Plenty..

Just kidding, I read your original post. Do you use a hot knife to do this or does the foam come already shaped that way?

John.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Last edited by TopSpin; Feb 02, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2007, 01:57 AM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ypsi mi
I had gotten rid of my other Beavers because they were slow and didn't handle the wind over 6 to 8 MPH winds tops, and hey weren't very acrobatic at all, great plane for beginners very forgiving and easy to handle but got boring real fast after you learn to fly..
Disagree with you there, Steve. The stock Beaver may not handle the wind but a Beaver with a reinforced wing (mine has carbon rods taped to LE and recommended wing taping but not the modified struts) will fly in quite a strong wind. I have flown mine in conditions where the breeze was strong enough to halt any forward flight and fly backward, powered by the stock 350 brushed, 10*4.7 on 2S Lipo running flat out.

For fun with the Beaver try flying figure 8s no more than 4 feet off the ground, do touch and goes on a grass runway. In a nice stiff breeze try harrier landings and takeoffs, hover like a hawk, minus 5 foot take offs are a lot of fun too.

The new wing is same airfoil? Did you add any spars or rods to stiffen the new wing?

Looks like a good base to add ailerons to.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Feb 03, 2007, 02:47 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Magrat
Disagree with you there, Steve. The stock Beaver may not handle the wind but a Beaver with a reinforced wing (mine has carbon rods taped to LE and recommended wing taping but not the modified struts) will fly in quite a strong wind. I have flown mine in conditions where the breeze was strong enough to halt any forward flight and fly backward, powered by the stock 350 brushed, 10*4.7 on 2S Lipo running flat out.

You must not have read my post if you said this

I have flown mine in conditions where the breeze was strong enough to halt any forward flight and fly backward, powered by the stock 350 brushed, 10*4.7 on 2S Lipo running flat out.

I said in the post that the wing I made for my friend flew in 16 MPH wind with a stock motor and that is what I was trying to achive, well it exceded my expectations, I didn't think it would fly in that high of wind, I was hopeing to be able to fly in 10 MPH wind... Monte was so impressed with it he is going to leave the stock 350 on it, we don't normally fly in 16 MPH winds but this was a test to see how good the wing works and for the next 3 days the wind is going to be 22 to 25 MPH so we went for it being that 16 MPH was going to be the lowest speed for a wind handling test.
Old Feb 03, 2007, 03:00 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin
Nice job on the Beaver Steve but that color has got to go. It looks like a Good and Plenty..

Just kidding, I read your original post. Do you use a hot knife to do this or does the foam come already shaped that way?

John.
Topspin
you are just mad that you didn't think of this color combo first.

John you need one of the hot wire burners I made for about 25 bucks to make the wings, 4 X 8 sheet of pink foam $12.00 each sheet will make 9 SS wings or 9 TM wings or or 13 Beaver wings, thats about $1.25 ea or less... so I can experiment to my hearts desire but what I have found is the TM and Beaver shape fly really well in the new wing at near the original size but I cut the SS down from 48 to 40 inchs and By 9 1/2 instead of the 47 By 11 1/2
My burner is 18 inchs X 46 3/4 plywood base and the hanging bow holder is 2 feet tall by 12 inchs 1X2, it all comes apart in 5 or less minutes to store on its end
Old Feb 03, 2007, 07:36 AM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
nice setup

I have a foam wire cutter for fanfold but I would be willing to make something like this for airfoils...

Any chance you'll create a how-to for this setup?
Old Feb 03, 2007, 10:48 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Wow. Nice setup Steve. I'm planning to retire soon and that's just the project I need to keep me busy. One improvement I thought about is to add a variac on the input to the transformer to control the knife temp for different kinds of foam.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2007, 03:28 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin
Wow. Nice setup Steve. I'm planning to retire soon and that's just the project I need to keep me busy. One improvement I thought about is to add a variac on the input to the transformer to control the knife temp for different kinds of foam.
You really don't need a variac
I used part of their set up from The www.Utahflyers.org
http://www.utahflyers.org/movies/foamcutter.wmv
and some of these photo's
and I used a $10.49 transformer from Radio shack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
the side with 2 black wires is for the 115 volt coming in to a dimmer switch ($4.95 home depot) to the transformer only useing the 2 yellow wires out of the transformer to the bow hot wire, the center black between the 2 yellow is heatsrink wrapped and not used.
also I used 1/4 steel rod from the hardware, $1.49 for 3 feet, this can make 2 bows
Iused rubber bands and a aluminum piece to conect the wire to the steel rods so I could keep tension on the wire
I used a old plum bob I had around for the weight to pull the arm down and it weighed 1.25 pounds

I just made a slot burning tool today out of a 100 watt soldering Iron, I bent a piece of .078 piano wire and used 2 wheel locks 3/32 in size, they have set screws but you can't tighten them very tight so I used a second wheel lock to make sure they held, you can't get the wheel locks to touch the other wire or it will only get hot above the wheel locks not below them so it needs just a few thousands clearance so they won't touch the other wire, I used a steel ruler at first but you can tilt some, I ended up useing a aluminum channel 5/8 in wide by 1/2 for about 4.00 at the local hardware, works great, you can keep the wire running true and flat pulling it slow and steady, see the 2 attached photos of a test piece of foam and the tool
the .078 wire is just the right size for a piece of wood 1/8 inch thick and 5/16 wide, attached 2 photos of a wing with the 1/8 X5/16 wood after burning the slot

Heres a short movie on how the 100 watt soldering gun slot cutter works with the .078 Piano wire with 2 3/32 wheel locks to adjust the depth of cut, the 078 wire is just perfect for making a slot for 1/8 th wood
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74741717&hl=en
Last edited by steve ypsi mi; Feb 07, 2007 at 07:11 AM.