SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:30 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
You've covered a lot of ground in just over a week. Impressive!
GAANDAHL is offline Find More Posts by GAANDAHL
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
Finished Pic's

finally got time to finish the Mig-15, here are some current pic's, AUW ~ 2 lbs 6 oz.

AD
AeroDude is offline Find More Posts by AeroDude
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:41 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Maiden soon, or is it snowing there too?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 07:13 PM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
not snowing today, just cold! I won't maiden for a little while, until the weather is good.

AD
Old Apr 13, 2007, 02:50 PM
Charged up and buzzing
Germany
Joined Aug 2005
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDude
not snowing today, just cold! I won't maiden for a little while, until the weather is good.
I first thought GAANDAHL was kidding, until I checked yahoo ...

Poor guys, this what is expected for this weekend in 'cold germany'
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/GMXX0250.html.
Looks like it's warmer than in southern California.

I like global warming

We have the yearly fly-off meeting this weekend on our club field.
Hope you soon see similar flight conditions soon . . .

Peter
vampire67 is offline Find More Posts by vampire67
Last edited by vampire67; Apr 13, 2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 03:32 PM
nut
Pots and Kettels
Among the Masses
Joined Sep 2005
255 Posts
Hey AD

Man, you did a great job on the Mig!
I checked out RT Models site and am very tempted to get the Mig for my first EDF Kit. Just wondering from looking at your build where to put the battery mounting plate? What did you do, and with your power set up what battery did you go with?

Regards,
Nut
nut is offline Find More Posts by nut
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:18 PM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
nut,

check out the first pic in second row, show the bottom bay for ESC, Rx and battery, the Kokam 3S 2000 mah 15C Lipo fits in the forward bay.

I think I could have done a little better, but I'm happy with it

thanks,

AD
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:15 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,126 Posts
Hey, I just purchased the Mig 15 and it will be my first EDF. I was just wondering how you make the air intakes and exhaust. Is it just paper rolled up and fitted to the formers? Or is it something special, or can you even buy air ducts? Sorry for the simple questions.
I like your Mig by the way.
EricClark is online now Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Aug 08, 2007, 09:31 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413622
Eric,
Go to the link above and read the discussion by Steve St. Martin on making ducts for the RT Mig. He does great-looking work.
GA
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:55 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,126 Posts
Thank you GAANDAHL! Thats all I needed. I purchased the larger one, but the concept is the same.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:26 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
Eric,

sorry, not on here much lately, too busy, anyhow the way I made the ducts is to use card stock, fiberglassed both sides with 3/4 oz glass and Polycrylic, used my heat gur to dry it, painted it black, then use a small piece of PVC pipe or a pastry roller to initially shape the duct, once the duct was shaped to fit into the fuse I marked it and used black electrical tape wrapped around the duct in several places to hold its shape, I then epoxied it into the fuse. You will need one section up front and two sections aft of the motor.

A fully constructed fiber glass duct is nice but too heavy, the one GAANDAHL refers to weights a pound more than mine.

I have yet to fly mine, not sure what I am waiting for, I constructed a trolly for takeoffs which has been tested and works great, but not the soccer goals are back up at the park which will make landing difficult, we have had alot of windy days this summer, I will get it in the air soon.

AD
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
For inlet ducting I use Krispy Kreme donut box, the dozen size large box, usually with the shiny side on the inside. I've started using it wet which makes it easier to bend to complex shapes for rectangular inlets, but a making a simple cylinder with dry paper would probably work fine. It's attached to the lite ply bulkheads in my scratcbuilt F-4 and modded EJF 90mm F-18, it holds up fine to the sucting of a Midifan and 1200 watts. I do have some carbon tow wrapped around the F-18 ducting I think, between bulkheads, at least in it's first version, but on the rebuild I glued on 1/8 x 1/4" balsa stringers to the ducting and that's kept them from collapsing, much easier than working with carbon tow (tangled mess). The material is stiff enough I could probably get by without the stringers but I put a couple on anyway to play it safe.
Ed Waldrep is online now Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:20 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,126 Posts
Cool idea! And thanks for the info guys!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
Finished!

I recently got new LiPo's for the Mig-15 from Aero-Nuts, 2 3S-1700 mah for a 2S3P 3400 mah total pack. They lay nicely in the forwad bay in the bottom of the aircraft. I also added the fences on top of the wings. With the new bat's I have a little nose down which should be just fine. Can't find any info on aileron/elevator throw's so I have yet to fly her. I have done one test launch off the trollie, it come off fine and I let her sit back down on the runway and skid to a stop. My AUW is ~ 40 oz.

here's the finished pic's

AD
Last edited by AeroDude; Oct 14, 2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:27 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Nice work! I look forward to hearing about your control throws and final CG.
GA