SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2001, 10:48 PM
WindRover2
n/a Posts
Superman Jet Rally, Metropolis, IL

1) Anybody know when the Superman Jet Rally will be held in Metropolis, IL this year?

2) Any chance any EDFs will be there?
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2001, 11:02 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,846 Posts
Well

There was a huge mess of things last year when we inquired about EDF flying.

The meet is a WEEK long event Oct. 1-7. It costs 65.00 for the whole week and 40 for Friday,Sat. and Sunday. Last year EDFs could only be flown during non-event times (maybe 2 hours before and 1hr after). This is when any type of model can be flown. But you still pay the full reg. fee. I will be there to watch only....still good fun.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 05, 2001, 10:48 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Last year the only EDF I saw was a Ky T-33 which wasn't flying. I doubt there will be any this year unless one of the turbine guys brings one along. the event is stiil worthwile though.
Two years ago rumor has it that Ivan M from Flying Models print mag flew an EJF A-10 or Raf.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 09, 2001, 11:39 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
That sure sounds like e discrimination to me. I sure want to go this year but I'd like to see some edf's...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Sep 09, 2001, 02:06 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,846 Posts
Sal,

It is truly worth it if you like jets EDFs or not. I hope it is not so cold and wind this year!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 10, 2001, 09:03 AM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,416 Posts
Kevin,
That was my T-33....

Last year Ivan M. did bring and fly his brushless powered EJF A-10 early one morning (I think Friday) but I didn't see it come out of his trailer the rest of the weekend. Ivan felt that I made a mockery of EDF's by suggesting to the CD that a lower entry fee could be charged for EDF flyers since they had such short flight slots. The CD stated that many of the other jet pilots would only get in one or two flights the entire weekend and they didn't complain about the entry fee. My "stupid EDF fee" suggestion was mentioned at the pilots meeting on Saturday morning.
I wish Superman had a CD like the one at the AZ jet rally, then we would see a good EDF turnout.
Like Kevin, I'll still go watch, but you won't see me bring anything to fly.
Brad

[This message has been edited by byoung (edited 09-10-2001).]
byoung is online now Find More Posts by byoung
Old Sep 10, 2001, 09:29 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
It sure would be nice to see some of the faster EDF's represented there. I think, and it's just my opinion, one thing that separates many of us from that event is the sheer volume of money needed to make a big showing. Look at the prices of the turbine engines most of the pilots are useing and the price of everything else in a common jet nowadays. The last two jet meets I went to this year had 70-90% turbine models. The ducted fans were almost nonexistant. In Tucson this year, there were only three glow ducted fans, I had one of them. EJF did make a good showing with many of thier fleet, but the place was flooded with turbine$. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a turbine powered model, but my finances just won't allow it at this point in time.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 10, 2001, 10:10 AM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,416 Posts
Greg,
Superman is definitely becoming a Turbine, bring all your money, show also. I probably wouldn't fly there now unless I had a turbine powered jet. If I would win the lottery, I'd have me a turbine powered jet, but since that's not too likely I'll just have to watch.
Brad
byoung is online now Find More Posts by byoung
Old Sep 11, 2001, 06:03 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Sal it's definatly discrimination but it's worth the trip, even if just for the WOW factor. I'll be there, to watch. May go Friday too, It's only an hour each way.
Last edited by Kevin Murray; Sep 14, 2001 at 04:11 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2001, 03:25 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Gents,
Iwas thinking about going to watch on Sat. morning.... Any other E-Zoners going to be there??
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Sep 14, 2001, 04:13 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Don I'll be there Saturday morning and mabey Firday afternoon too.
Old Sep 14, 2001, 10:53 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Murray
Sal it's definatly discrimination but it's worth the trip, even if just for the WOW factor. I'll be there, to watch. May go Friday too, It's only an hour each way.
I'm really thinking about going. I have the video from last year. A little more of a trip from Chicago, about 5-6 hours...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Sep 14, 2001, 11:10 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
It's worth a 5-6 hour trip, at least once. Check the weather. Last year it might not have been worth the trip for you. It was cold and windey.
Old Sep 16, 2001, 12:06 AM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
I plan on coming on Saturday. I'll look for you guys there. I'll bring my Marcel Mirage...but am not flying.

Ron Vallejo
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old Sep 16, 2001, 12:14 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
See you there Ron. It would be nice if the guys from EJF would be there.