HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Rant
Boston Bomb Scare thing..... Hoax or just... really dumb Bostonians?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/sus...rss_topstories
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249110,00.html

I hear they're angry about this "hoax", but I'm wondering if they're just trying to find a scape-goat for their own idiocy? I really doubt this was part of a plot by Cartoon Network to start a bomb scare... They've been in ten other cities for weeks, no bomb scare. But the Bostonians... nah, they've got to freak out.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Old Feb 01, 2007, 03:43 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Care to explain why you consider them idiots?

For 30+ years we in the UK have been educated that anything out of the ordinary should be eyed with caution. Every unattended bag or briefcase causes concern and foreign students with rucksacks will always get a seat on a bus.

We have hoaxers in this country, normally schoolkids or malcontents. Without intelligent thought they are aiding terrorists and extremists. If our prisons weren't full I would have them locked up.

Presumably you haven't been in the situaton where relatives and co workers have been a bit too close to one of these incidents. The concern they cause normally turns to anger.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Last edited by Robert May; Feb 01, 2007 at 04:00 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2007, 03:48 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
From the TV news blurb I saw on it, it was a STUPID advertising promotion.

Something not well thought out done in a manner inapropriate to the times. Since the police responded in the manner they did, it was obviously not a good idea. If it had been done better, the police would have recognized them as advertisments. (which may or may not have been placed legally...)

Advertisments should be obviously advertisments. Police won't DETONATE something (attaching thier small charge to force the thing to blow up in a semi controlled manner) they don't see as a potential bomb.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Feb 01, 2007, 05:12 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Anyone leaving electronic devices planted about a city needs to have a short sharp shock administered. Such things might be "cool" to them, but they aren't at all smart. Even if the devices themselves are harmless their effects could cause panic and cause people to get hurt. A bit like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre.

From the pictures that we've seen they consisted of LED displays of cartoon characters, with a small black box attached, wiring and dry batteries. Exactly the sort of thing that would set alarm bells ringing if turning up unannounced.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Feb 01, 2007, 06:23 AM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu157
They've been in ten other cities for weeks, no bomb scare. But the Bostonians... nah, they've got to freak out.
I'm surprised there was no bomb scare in those other cities. Maybe we should call them silly... for not noticing or reporting a device that clearly warrants some suspicion.
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Feb 01, 2007, 09:52 AM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxje
I'm surprised there was no bomb scare in those other cities. Maybe we should call them silly... for not noticing or reporting a device that clearly warrants some suspicion.
there were 41 such "devices" in NYC...the authorities knew about them in advance
and didn't blink an eye...the residents yawned and dutifully opened their subway
carry-on's when asked by NYC's Finest.

Peter
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old Feb 01, 2007, 10:42 AM
Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu157
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/sus...rss_topstories
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249110,00.html

I hear they're angry about this "hoax", but I'm wondering if they're just trying to find a scape-goat for their own idiocy? I really doubt this was part of a plot by Cartoon Network to start a bomb scare... They've been in ten other cities for weeks, no bomb scare. But the Bostonians... nah, they've got to freak out.
While they have been seen in other cities and not caused any problems is not an indicator that Bostonians are dumb, it may be that they are more observant and more prudent than the people in those other cities, but the truth may be in the fact that the network hired locals to plant their "devices", and that maybe this one was a bit dumber than the others.
But what can't be po-poed away is that the network had the responsibility to report their intentions to plant those things before hand and get an ok from those in charge, the police should have also been notified also, their dropping the ball on those responsibilities for what ever the reason resulted in nearly a million dollar expence to a city already crunched for money, the closing of three major highways leading into the city as well as many secondary roads and a well traveled waterway, the mayor of boston has started the city's lawyers to filing law suits against the network, and I would hope that LE files criminal compaints as well.
seeinginthedark is offline Find More Posts by seeinginthedark
Old Feb 01, 2007, 12:29 PM
If it wasn't for the foam
PA
Joined Dec 2004
522 Posts
It was an advertising campaign, not very different from a sign or billboard. Although I'm sure a billboard could be rigged to pack a bigger punch than a light-bright game, and would attract less suspicion. Does it make sense to be overly concerned with one type of advertising when another, more accepted type poses a greater risk, not only due to the ability to conceal and the potential for damage, but also the high level of complacency toward those objects?

Admittedly, this wasn't very well thought out. However, it's refreshing to see some creativity in advertising, rather than just another billboard. And as I pointed out, it's not like these things had greater terroristic potential.

These guys should be charged with littering, and/or advertising without a permit or advance notification, if that's required of them. If that was someone else's responsibility, then the responsible party should be charged in accordance with whatever penalties are prescribed for that particular failure.

What's even scarier than these devices is the fact that it took weeks to notice their presence. The city of Boston showed the world how easy it would be to plant bombs in critical locations. It also showed the world that despite all the anti-terrorism rhetoric, those looking out for our security still aren't talking to each other. No wonder they want all the attention focused on these two guys.

[sarcasm on] OMG! I just saw the pictures of the perpetrators laughing, in what could be a courtroom! Although we can't know what they're laughing about, we can surely assume that they're laughing at the authorities, and indeed all of us, and the U.S. in general, and they're not taking their crime seriously! And one of them has dreadlocks! Oh dear. The anarchy! I suspect we'll soon hear calls for their heads. Maybe Bush should label them terrorists and send them abroad for "questioning". I bet these guys could be made to talk. Then we can hold against them whatever it is we make them say. Then we can claim the moral high ground again. [sarcasm off]
tduro is offline Find More Posts by tduro
Old Feb 01, 2007, 01:25 PM
Joined Apr 2004
510 Posts
Apparently, most of the posters are missing the point. It is not about the initial reaction of the police. The reaction is perfectly OK. It could be a bit unusual that they mistook a piece of flat plastic for an explosive device, but in these days it is better to be safe than sorry. Everybody understands that.

The problem is the actions of the city authorities after it was discovered to be a non-issue. If they had half a brain in their heads they wouldn't force any follow-up to this story. It is them who screwed up, not the PR and/or TV company. Let's just have a couple of laughs and forget about it. But these morons are planning to press charges. That's when you know that someone in the city administration is really supposed to attens a "special education" school, not run a city.
AndreyT is offline Find More Posts by AndreyT
Old Feb 01, 2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,097 Posts
The key thing to me that no one else mentions in this discussion so far is the location of the "devices." They were almost all stuck under bridges or highway overpasses -- just where someone would plant bombs if they really wanted to wreak havoc. I think that it's natural for people to react the way they did. It doesn't appear that the company had given any notice to the authorities and that the devices were just "stuck" in various places. If the authorities, in fact, did have notice, then the reaction was way out of line and resulted from some kind of communication screw up within the city agencies.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Feb 01, 2007, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2004
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Since the police responded in the manner they did, it was obviously not a good idea. If it had been done better, the police would have recognized them as advertisments. (which may or may not have been placed legally...)
Oh, perfect logic... And when police breaks into someone's house and shoots everyone inside just because some kid made a prank telephone call saying that there are drugs sold there - it is the fault of the people who got shot, right? "Since the police responed the way they did..."

It is not a secret to anyone that sometimes some members of the police force are not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. It is not unexpected that they can't tell a bomb from a hole in the ground. What is expected though is that someone higher in their chain of management was supposed to have at least their basic brain functions working properly. But it looks like in Boston things got really bad these days....
AndreyT is offline Find More Posts by AndreyT
Last edited by AndreyT; Feb 01, 2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2007, 02:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Anyone leaving electronic devices planted about a city needs to have a short sharp shock administered. Such things might be "cool" to them, but they aren't at all smart. Even if the devices themselves are harmless their effects could cause panic and cause people to get hurt. A bit like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre.

From the pictures that we've seen they consisted of LED displays of cartoon characters, with a small black box attached, wiring and dry batteries. Exactly the sort of thing that would set alarm bells ringing if turning up unannounced.
Exactly, I would not go near them and would report them as suspicious.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Feb 01, 2007, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Apparently, most of the posters are missing the point. It is not about the initial reaction of the police. The reaction is perfectly OK. It could be a bit unusual that they mistook a piece of flat plastic for an explosive device, but in these days it is better to be safe than sorry. Everybody understands that.

The problem is the actions of the city authorities after it was discovered to be a non-issue. If they had half a brain in their heads they wouldn't force any follow-up to this story. It is them who screwed up, not the PR and/or TV company. Let's just have a couple of laughs and forget about it. But these morons are planning to press charges. That's when you know that someone in the city administration is really supposed to attens a "special education" school, not run a city.
exactly.

Another thing... the two guys they arrested.... anybody see their time on the microphone? They should be arrested for being so weird! (ok, maybe not)
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Old Feb 01, 2007, 04:51 PM
If it wasn't for the foam
PA
Joined Dec 2004
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse
I think that it's natural for people to react the way they did.
Dozens of these were placed in each of 9 cities around the country, IIRC. Boston authorities reacted differently than all the rest, or "abnormally", by definition. Although, I have to give them a little credit for acting normally for the first couple of weeks anyway.
tduro is offline Find More Posts by tduro
Old Feb 01, 2007, 05:29 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT
It is not a secret to anyone that the majority of the police force are not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.
A little harsh. Are you speaking of just the force in Boston or all such?

I've known some pretty sharp and fast thinking police and they continue to serve even those who feel the way you do.

Lyle
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad