HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:02 PM
Chandler
Joined Sep 2006
156 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes? Poor quality/Poor Customer service

Has anyone else had a problem with them and there customer service?? I have talked with several people who have had troublewith them..
I recieved a new Yak 54 e-performance plane as a gift. It looks great but is cheaply built. Uses Special great planes only control hardware. Mine was molded wrong so they bind the servos!! They say there usable with most servo's(yea right I had to buy new ones to make it work). The battery hatch will only hold 1800mah or smaller battery thats BS. and many other problems thet had to be reworked. I ve seen Taiwan kits more finished than this.
What has happened to great planes?? They use to be good.. I own several of there planes from a few years back. I like them??
Compared to the Eflite mini funtana-X I have this plane is a piece of garbage. Hands down the funtana ia a way better plane for less money.
I spoke to great planes customer service, asked for a exchange, maybe I got a bad Yak? They stated break your plane up into pieces and ship it to us for Warranty consideration "AT YOU OWN RISK ONLY IF YOUR SURE ITS A WARRANY PROBLEM" Otherwise sorry. I even gave them feed back on what I thought could be improved. Call "E-FLITE" and they tell you send it in we take care of it no problem thanks for your business. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE GREAT PLANES ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. They taught me a lesson .
Ajdtiger is offline Find More Posts by Ajdtiger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:59 PM
Rock Rapids IA
Joined Jan 2007
392 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear of your luck
michaelb323 is offline Find More Posts by michaelb323
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
For what it's worth, I've dealt with Great Planes on 3 separate occasions relative to their products not quite living up to what would be perceived as normal to average quality. This, despite paying higher than normal to average prices for the product.

It took me three attempts, but finally it has sunk into my head that on the whole this company markets an inordinate amount of shoddy merchandise along with it's better quality items. And personally, it appears the former is overtaking the latter.

Bottom line is that I don't even entertain anymore the idea of purchasing Great Planes products, regardless of any recommendations I may receive.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:00 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdtiger
I WILL NEVER PURCHASE GREAT PLANES ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. They taught me a lesson .
dont order anything from tower hobbies then ... tower= great planes
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:36 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,369 Posts
I haven't built mine yet, but I'm more disappointed with the covering than anything else. It was really wrinkled and I could not get it to shrink. I gradually turned up the iron to the point that the chinacote finally melted without any results. I've stripped the plane of it's covering and was actually impressed with the build quality of mine. I haven't looked at the hardware yet, but I think it will be a good plane once it is recovered. It's not worth the price though, with the amount of rework that it requires.

I have a 1/4 scale Gene Soucey Extra from Great Planes that I'm pretty happy with, but I am a little discouraged after this purchase. Also, I was thinking of buying the big Christen Eagle of theirs at one point, but after some research I read that they stole the plans from Skyshark RC. The guy was trying to work out a deal for them to build it in their factory and they quit returning his calls and put it out as their own plane a few months later. What kind of company does that?

FWIW, I just checked my TP 3 cell 2100's and they appear to be small enough for the battery compartment.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Feb 01, 2007, 12:04 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbored21
dont order anything from tower hobbies then ... tower= great planes
No problem there. Their shipping to Canada is out to lunch.
Old Feb 01, 2007, 04:07 AM
Victim of gravity
Upcountry, South Africa
Joined Jul 2002
373 Posts
1. GP Electricub: Poor parts fit, parts not the same size as the plans included with the kit. Asked about the tailplane incidence, got no reply. Phoned GP: "Just build it like the plan says". Er, well, thanks for nothing then!

2. GP Siren: Carbon fibre fuselage cracks along the wing seat after about 5 flights, a universal gripe about these models. GP solution: sell extra fuselages! Incorrect CG provided with the instructions

3. GP Electrostreak: Motor mount design poor, not adequately epoxied to the fuselage. Fuselage was cracked along centreline on arrival. Poor wing to fuselage fit.

Just my experiences. 'Think I've got the picture now, but please make up your own mind.....
mariuslj is offline Find More Posts by mariuslj
Old Feb 01, 2007, 10:41 AM
Chandler
Joined Sep 2006
156 Posts
These are the same stories I heard time and time again since I brought it up to other flyer's. Most if not all wont touch anything great planes any more. I dident know about the connection to tower hobbies that explains things. I hope people read this and stay clear of GP. There not worth buying.
Old Feb 01, 2007, 10:42 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
Great Pains has gone from a model airplane company to a model airplane MARKETING company. They viewed electric flight as a fad and for a very long time ignored that part of the hobby. When the realization that they had "missed the boat" hit home they attempted to gain a foothold in the electric market. In the process they have made mistakes.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 01, 2007, 10:54 AM
Chandler
Joined Sep 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P.
I haven't built mine yet, but I'm more disappointed with the covering than anything else. It was really wrinkled and I could not get it to shrink. I gradually turned up the iron to the point that the chinacote finally melted without any results. I've stripped the plane of it's covering and was actually impressed with the build quality of mine. I haven't looked at the hardware yet, but I think it will be a good plane once it is recovered. It's not worth the price though, with the amount of rework that it requires.

I . What kind of company does that?

FWIW, I just checked my TP 3 cell 2100's and they appear to be small enough for the battery compartment.
The hardware is cheap and will break if you not very very carefull. Its special to e-performance kits only! You can only get them at "tower". Tell me if your elevator binds your rudder once its set up with this lingage. Also in the hardware theres adjustable and non-adjustable linkage ends are the non-adjustable ends molded at an angle where they would go thru the servo arm, mine are. One more thing. Put some velcro in there and use the supplied velcro band at tell me if your 2100 fits. remember only 2 small magnets hold on that cover.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 09:58 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
TP 3S 2100 fits the battery bay just fine...The rudder pushrod exit needed enlarging just slightly for smooth operation. A couple of seconds of work with a hobby knife and the problem was fixed. I am not ecstatic about the hardware either but it plainly shows it on the box and for the most part works for me. GP is not the only manufacturer around to include less than stellar hardware. I have not had problems with the servo arms, if that is what you were referring to provided you are using name brand servos. I am not sure whether they will fit other brands and generics. The construction on mine was very well done. Hope your luck improves.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Feb 03, 2007, 12:59 AM
Chandler
Joined Sep 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
TP 3S 2100 fits the battery bay just fine...The rudder pushrod exit needed enlarging just slightly for smooth operation. A couple of seconds of work with a hobby knife and the problem was fixed. I am not ecstatic about the hardware either but it plainly shows it on the box and for the most part works for me. GP is not the only manufacturer around to include less than stellar hardware. I have not had problems with the servo arms, if that is what you were referring to provided you are using name brand servos. I am not sure whether they will fit other brands and generics. The construction on mine was very well done. Hope your luck improves.
We can all can fix any problem but for this kind of money should you have to. I also added a tail wheel as I am sure you will also. Try full right rudder and full down elevetor. see if the rudder binds the elevator. Also The hardware linkage ends that are not adjustable. The ones that snap into the servo arms and are glued onto the linkage rods are they molded at an angle where they go thru the hole in the servo arm? Mine are.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 04:19 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdtiger
Try full right rudder and full down elevetor. see if the rudder binds the elevator.
Are you saying that it is possible to get too much rudder travel with the supplied hardware? That doesn't sound like a problem to me; just set your end points. That's a lot easier than trying to get more travel out of a setup.

Why are you arguing with people that agree with you and/or are providing helpful tips? I was trying to inform you of a 2100mah brand of battery that appears to fit just fine; I don't know what brand you tried. If the thickness of the battery is the problem then I doubt that any 3 cell battery would fit.

I have never put together any plane, from any manufacture, that was fool proof and didn't need some kind of mod. I do agree that this one is below the current standards set by companies like Extreme Flight, Hyperion and 3D Hobby Shop though.

Good luck.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:38 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Dec 2006
101 Posts
Dont try to do agresive manuvers with the GP ep yak or reactor that crazy wing joinging system will give out I have lost 2 reactors and 1 yak from the wing joiners breaking and the wings comming off in flight. the fist 2 planes broke within a week. I sent them back to GP and they finaly after having them for a few weeks, replaced them. and the 3rd one I reinforced it/ beefed it up like crazy and got about 50 flights on it and doing a wall (SNAP!) off went the right wing and down went the plane. The reactor is a great flying plane but the quality of GP planes I have owned really sucks weh compared to other electric arf planes. Unless they make some changes on the quality and customer service I will stick with the stuff Horizon Hobby disributes. Also Horizon has Great customer service
flybri is offline Find More Posts by flybri
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:41 PM
Chandler
Joined Sep 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybri
Dont try to do agresive manuvers with the GP ep yak or reactor that crazy wing joinging system will give out I have lost 2 reactors and 1 yak from the wing joiners breaking and the wings comming off in flight. the fist 2 planes broke within a week. I sent them back to GP and they finaly after having them for a few weeks, replaced them. and the 3rd one I reinforced it/ beefed it up like crazy and got about 50 flights on it and doing a wall (SNAP!) off went the right wing and down went the plane. The reactor is a great flying plane but the quality of GP planes I have owned really sucks weh compared to other electric arf planes. Unless they make some changes on the quality and customer service I will stick with the stuff Horizon Hobby disributes. Also Horizon has Great customer service
I agree 100% HORIZON HOBBIES IS #1 in customer service..