HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:13 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2000
459 Posts
Need help setting up Phoenix 35 BL controller

Hey guys,
When I plug in the batter the servos and everything work fine but I'm getting a rapid flash from the controller and it won't go into setup mode. Can anyone make any suggestions?
-Stephen
spessx is offline Find More Posts by spessx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2002, 10:52 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Stephen,

Not enough information...

1. When you plug a battery in with the controller connected to a motor and a receiver with servos attached while your transmitter is turned on, do the servos move ok before it arms and does it arm ok and run the motor? If this is not so, you need to make this happen first.

2. If the answer to the above is yes, what exactly happens at each step of the enter programming sequence.

Greg in Minneapolis
gstew is offline Find More Posts by gstew
Old Sep 27, 2002, 09:11 AM
Texas
Joined Nov 2000
459 Posts
Hey Greg,
Thanks for your response. The servos and radio are working fine(running off of the BEC of course) but the controller will not allow me to enter the programming mode. When I connect power I just get a rapid flash from the controller and nothing else. I have tried switching the servo reversing on the throttle but it has not helped.
-Stephen
Old Sep 27, 2002, 09:56 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
But Stephen, can you run the motor when it is all connected? You didn't say if you can or not... and as stated in the instructions, you need to be able to do that before trying to enter programming mode.

Greg
Old Sep 27, 2002, 12:08 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2000
459 Posts
Sorry, didn't read your previous post close enough. The motor will not run when connected.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 05:24 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Ok. Thanks.

I have to admit that I'm finding this a bit frustrating. We can't help you debug a problem unless you tell us what's going on. You need to describe what you tried and what the response was step by step... otherwise we have no way to offer any useful input.

I also question how well you've read the instructions. Section 8.1 says to verify normal operation of the controller before trying to enter programming mode... did you do this?

So section 3.0 of the Phoenix-35 instructions describe how to initialize the controller and section 5.0 describe how to troubleshoot it when it is not working. Go through those steps, observe what happens, and then if it doesn't work, tell us what happened.

I'm not trying to dump on you or anything, but I'm probably one of the few people on this list who has spent some time with a Phoenix-35 in a heli... I'd like to help you, but can't given what you've said. Give us more info and we can help you out.

Greg in Minneapolis
Old Sep 28, 2002, 12:29 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2000
459 Posts
Hey Greg,
No need to be frustrated any further. Fitz got me pointed in the right direction. I had the ATV on my radio set wrong. I'm all set up now.
-Stephen
Old Sep 29, 2002, 12:21 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Stephen,

You're happy, I'm happy!

What heli you using it on? I've tried mine on a 10 cell Kalt Whisper and on a 10 cell cut-down Eco (to about Whisper/Voyager size). It worked ok on the Whisper, but I had one under-voltage/over temp (dunno which, really) cutout on my cut-down Eco which is a somewhat heavier heli than the Whisper with a more powerful motor setup... I'd wait for the higher-current Phoenix's for an Voyager/Eco setup... maybe even for a HP EP Concept. It'd be good in a Corona, however.

Later!

Greg in Minneapolis
Old Sep 29, 2002, 12:35 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Stephen,

Oops... you don't have to answer that now... I just read your thread talking about your Corona BL setup. Sounds like it's working really well for you. Congrats!

Greg in Minneapolis
Old Sep 30, 2002, 03:01 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing, Fitz was just a tad faster!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Sep 30, 2002, 01:31 PM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,117 Posts
Fred, Ijust got lucky.
Fitz Walker is offline Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:40 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
That was my thought too, but I hate to offer a suggestion or solution without knowing enough to be sure that I'm actually providing value... too darned methodical for my own good!

Later!

Greg in Minneapolis
Old Oct 01, 2002, 07:38 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Hey, as long as it works !
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk