HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:25 PM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Build Log
Stop me before I go too far

Second scratch build so far. Spent a couple days getting everyting down on paper and planned out. Started cutting out parts last night and am starting to wonder if I am overbuilding it. So far I just have the nose and forward fuselage internals started. Looking for opinions and observations. Estimated weight will be around 10-12 ounces. Let me know what you think.
Nick
Cautrell05 is offline Find More Posts by Cautrell05
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:34 PM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Few more pics.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:55 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,031 Posts
And it is a ............?
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:02 PM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Duh That would help huh. 36 inch wingspan, 37 inch long mid motor jet.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:10 PM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
More structure means more glue joints. The two together mean more weight.

Other than that - it looks cool what ever it is

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:33 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
I'll Bite

Ya got me on this one.. not like I'm some expert anyway, but what is a mid motor jet? Also, is that the GWS outrunner you've got on it and I know I've see that prop before, but I can't remember where. I'd love to see a picture of what it should look like when it's finished and i'll be real interested to follow your progress... sounds unique..

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:30 AM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Quick shot of one of many drawings. Guess you could call it a ducted prop. Kindof an experiment to see if it works. If anyones real ambitious they could help me figure out where to balance the thing at. Thanks.
Nick
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:19 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,115 Posts
Does not look like much of a motor to power something that big and possibly heavy. Best of luck with it though.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:06 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
I love it, could have used you in the Skunk Works a few years back :>)

A suggestion for balance…

First build a profile model…
Cut a foam copy of your top view (post 7). It can be on a smaller scale. Include all control surface but do not cut hinge line yet (some designs require reflex for stability).
Next cut and install your vertical stabilization method (include control surface, don’t cut hinge line).
Hot glue in place (a little drop goes a long way) ‘low’ temp hot glue is lighter.

Then hot glue weight in the nose until your model glides to your predilection.
I prefer double ‘00’ buck shot because I don’t have to cut or handle as often,
but any fishing lead works.

Go back into Skunk Works,
stand two sharp pencils in modeling clay, points up, one under each wing tip …. adjust model fore / aft, VIOLA!

In my humble opinion…
you will not require near as much internal support structure shown in post 2

Build lite it WILL fly, build to crash and it gets heavy quick.

WOW! Keep us posted !!
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Last edited by Gramps:>); Jan 31, 2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:03 AM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
One of the things I had planned after getting everything layed out was to go back and cut a bunch of lightening holes. Figured that would help. As for the motor for $15 I figured id give it a try. If I can get 8-10 ounces out of it on 3 cells with a 5 inch prop I should be ok. If not I have room in the fuse to try other ideas. The two flat pieces going straight back by the motor will be pulled together to a point just ahead of the motor to help support the mount and the top and bottom of the fuse.
Keep the input coming. Have a feeling I need the help.
Nick
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:27 PM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Got some more pieces cut out today. Probably start gluing together tonight.
Nick
Last edited by Cautrell05; Jan 31, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2007, 08:59 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
O.K. Now I get it...

Nick,
Now I get it.. I tried something like this with Ewo's super F-16. I shrouded the prop on a BP21 and did'nt know that I had the stupid prop facing the wrong direction, I just thought that motor and prop combo stank... LOL.. it was very light and stillwould not fly but not because it should'nt have... I dig where you're coming from, but what kind of motor and stuff is that. To get that kind of thrust you usually need a high KV inrunner, but some outrunners are capable of similar power... So, what kind of motor ????
Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Feb 01, 2007, 10:21 PM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
The motor is a gws 2205/15. Initially I thought this thing might come in around 10 ounces and I might be able to make it work with 3 cells. I threw all the parts on the scale today and its closer to 13. I will keep going on the nose and wings but am going to wait to seal up the top untill I get some numbers that I like with the motor. I also have another one, a 400f if I remember right in one of my helis that I might try. If I have to there is room to just throw an edf inthere. Lots of options. Got to get it together first. I started a buildup thread for this one. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635576
The canard is probably gonna get ditched for a full flying version to simplify mounting and linkage issues. Have to see what I can get done tonight and tomorrow.
Nick
Old Feb 01, 2007, 11:40 PM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
I have that motor. It is a nice little motor for the money. But, the instructions are right about NOT using it with a 3S pack. It WILL over heat. You might get by with it on a very small prop but I don't think it would put out near enough thrust for that much weight. That will be a cool plane when you get it done. I would suggest if you use this motor to lighten up the plane considerably & use a 2S pack. This motor can be over propped very easily so you'll have to watch that.

Steve
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Feb 02, 2007, 07:36 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
sorry for the hijack, but Gramps, were you working with Kelley Johnson or Ben Rich? I just read the book skunk works, and loved it! really couldnt put the thing down, and it never ceased to amaze me.
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'