HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:05 PM
AVOID BARNS AT ALL COSTS!
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
Discussion
anyone got any ideas for materials that would work for building a b-17?

ok the b-17 flying fortress is my favorite plane problem is noone makes an arf one i'm thinking of building one and need suggestions on materials.
lowbudgetflyboy is offline Find More Posts by lowbudgetflyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:10 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgetflyboy
ok the b-17 flying fortress is my favorite plane problem is noone makes an arf one i'm thinking of building one and need suggestions on materials.
What would you like to build it from. Balsa or foam? Got any experience with fiberglass? A B-17 is a tough build. Care to start off with anything easier?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
Like you, I love the B-17. In my (all be it brief)searched, I've learned that the Multiplex Cargo is very close to the B-17, and many have converted it into one(it even had a bomb bay already). I believe there are even "conversion kits" avalible for them. A search will turn up a few different conversion build threads.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
know of any for around $120?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
I saw a cheap EPP 2ch B-17 on the "Cheap 2ch" thread. It is what it is, a cheap $30 plane, and it flys about that well from what I remember. Looks neat though.

Other than that, I don't think a sub $200 B-17 exists.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:45 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,314 Posts
sorry
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Last edited by MustangAce17; Jan 31, 2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: friend at work bein a bum
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,900 Posts
lowbudgetflyboy

I think you need to sit down and have a really good think about what you want to fly and build/buy.

A Tigershark, or a Mig, or a MH-53E helicopter, or a B17, as that is quite a range of different types of models.

I don't know what experience you have of model building, being a quick learner usually means learning by mistakes and is often a quick way to get fed up with the hobby.

Have you considered buying an ARF scale/semi-scale model if that is the style of model you prefer as I wouldn't recommend scratch building without a lot of experience in model building.
My scratch built B17 is now in it's third year, each problem/frustration means it gets put to one side yet again while I build something else. And if you are on a budget, you don't want the added expense of multi-motors.

Have a good serious think about what you really want, can afford, and have the basic skills to achieve.

Good luck with your flying.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:49 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
I would agree with eflightray.

After looking at your other posts, it looks like you are attempting to bite off quite a bit. What was the trainier you were using? Chances are, if you crashed that into the side of a barn (this is the only time being able to hit the broad side of a barn is a bad thing ), you are not ready for any of the planes you have asked about. I can almost garantee that your first flight with any of the other models you have asked about will be 10 seconds or less. Also, none of these models will be tougher than carbon fiber, so you'll have a lot more repair work to do.

I would recommend the hobbyzone super cub (depending on your skill level). It's a little over you budget, but I think it's a good option, as far as RTF goes.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
i just wanna look into something that would cost the less i'm probly not going to do all of them. but i'm thinking about what i want to go into. though yes this is the only time hitting the broad side of a barn is a bad thing thought it was the shortest side i hit the other 10 times it went out of signal range over by my aunts house 100 feet away.
Last edited by lowbudgetflyboy; Jan 31, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
in fact anything would work as i'm just starting into airplanes.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
looking at some of hobbico's models i think the firebird scout would be good because i would have money left over to work with or as i'mlooking at it the cessna 182 arf aileron trainer would be another option.
Last edited by lowbudgetflyboy; Jan 31, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:23 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgetflyboy
looking at some of hobbico's models i think the firebird scout would be good because i would have money left over to work with or as i'mlooking at it the cessna 182 arf aileron trainer would be another option.
I would go for a Firebird Commander II over a scout. My friend had a scout, and it was pretty worthless and taught him nothing. I learned a lot from my Firebird Commander II though.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43