HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:35 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
Discussion
Help Me Identify These Sailplanes

I am currently trying to build my fleet of sailplanes and one of the local club members was selling off some of his stuff so I bought a few. Imagine what my girlfiend said when she came home to three new planes. Problem is, I don't really know what they are or very much information about them. I was hoping I could get some info from those in the know.

The first plane looks like a F3F sloper. It's wing span is ~2.6m and has a full flying elevator cross tail. It has a FG fuselage and suposedly a carbon bagged foam core wing. The wing joiner is a solid carbon rectangle ~15" long with some dihedral in it. This plane is being shipped to Dustn so I am sure he will chime in with any further questions.

The second one I know less about, it's wing span is ~3.2m and has a bolt on V-tail. It has a FG fuse with one funky looking nose cone. The wing is foam core with carbon bagged skin as is the tail. This one didn't come with a joiner but it needs to be round, 5/8" diameter, and 50" long.

In regards to the 2nd one, which I will be keeping, what should I make the joiner out of? It doesn't have a ballast tube so I thought I could do a steel tube and change ballast by putting steel rod, aluminum rod, or nothing inside of the steel tube. Would this work? I also would like some info on control throws and the suggested CG location. I am sure I will think of some more questions later. Thanks for the help.
Aceshigh84 is offline Find More Posts by Aceshigh84
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:46 PM
cranium accessories
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
Hoorah! New toys! The larger one does have an odd nose. Looks like a Good & Plenty... Maybe somebody rebuilt it?

Do you have a pic of the joiner for the 2.6m?
dustn is offline Find More Posts by dustn
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:39 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
Here she is. I don't think it is the orginal joiner for the plane becuase it was too tight to slip in and its about .5 inch too long on one side to let the wing come together all the way. I sanded it a little bit and now it fits.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:54 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,910 Posts
the 2.6m looks very much like a ship called a "gambler" - triple tapered, carbon wing? Kinda an oblong shaped kevlar nose cone? It's a great plane.

$150 for all three of those planes, you darn well ripped somebody off. You should charge Bryan 5X that just so that someone gets fairly compensated.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:34 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
Hey I made the Gambler! Cool shots! Glad you like it!

The one in the first post is not a Gambler. Maybe a Clerx Mako?
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
I am surprised that someone has not IDed the 2nd plane posted in the pics. I would think with the distinctive nose it would be easy to spot. Regardless of what it may be, does anyone want to give their $0.02 on the wing joiner issue? How much do I really need. A solid steel wing joiner will add 4.5lbs to the plane.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:17 AM
cranium accessories
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
Ok so its not a gambler... So out with that idea of charging me a whole lot

I am curious about the wing joiner too... I don't remember ever having seen one that long. 5/8 x 50" is a lotta material.
dustn is offline Find More Posts by dustn
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:23 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
Sounds more like something the DS guys would use.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:27 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustn
Ok so its not a gambler... So out with that idea of charging me a whole lot

I am curious about the wing joiner too... I don't remember ever having seen one that long. 5/8 x 50" is a lotta material.

Negative!

I think that they are using the same wing mounted tubes for ballast, NOT a 50" long joiner...
The dihedral joiners at ACP are something on the order of 18" long, at 1/2" diameter....

Those planes were a steal!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Jan 31, 2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:55 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
I don't think it needs a dihedral joiner but do elaborate on ACP. Is it a company that makes wing joiners? So if I buy a joiner that is 18" I am assuming I need to make some steel and wood slugs to take up the space on the ends to keep the joiner centered and to act as balast, correct?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:58 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,408 Posts
Not sure that this will work.
Target

http://www.acp-composites.com
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:59 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,408 Posts
You won't know if you'll need Dihedral joiners, or not...

BUT, if the tubes in each wing panel are that long (25" each), it's safe to say that the tube themselves ARE NOT angled in the panel, and MOST designs will benefit from @ 3-5* of dihedral in the center...So, to get that, if my assumption is right, you'll need a dihedral joiner.

HiLaunch also sells T-6 aluminum dihedral joiners...

http://www.hilaunch.com/

Yes, you are correct, the ballast would go outboard of that, and spacers too, if you don't want full ballast.
Last edited by target; Jan 31, 2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:20 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,408 Posts
I just looked a little closer at the pics you posted...
It looks like there is another hole in the wing root, that is aft of the first one? If so, that looks like it is closer to where I'd think the CG will be...

The panels look flat to me, so yeah, you'll need about 5* of dihedral, if that is the case.

It's deceiving on wings like that, where the CG ends up being. IF the TE is straight, and only the LE sweeps back, the CG will likely end up close to the 40% mark of the root. Really!
But that won't be the case, if the TE seeps forward along the wings' span. Then it will be further forward...

And, you'll want ballast to be on the CG, or just 1-2 mm forward of that.

You could try to install a ballast tube in the fuselage, which will give you some ability to adjust the ballast load, fore and aft.

T
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:25 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
Thanks for the info. The hilaunch joiners look good. Now on to servo selection. Bryan is sending me his HS-125's with new gear sets as partial payment on the 2.6m. I know how every one seems to hate them but I am not going to DS it any time soon so I guess they are going in for the ailerons. The slots in the fuse for the V-tail servos are sized for an HS-81/85. I guess I will do 85's but should I do MG or nylon gears? Will HS-85MG's be enough for the flaps? I have plenty of depth, .65" so I could always step up to HS-225MG's.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:32 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,408 Posts
I had a 3M plane that came with 225MG's for the flaps....After changing gear sets/cases a couple times, I went to JR DS368's and the white Hitec wing servo "cans"....
I haven't had a problem since....
It's hard to say if the 225MG's would hold up for you or not better than 85MG's

For the tail servos, I'd use 85BB's if you want to go budget; stay away from 81's.

Resin gears don't get sloppy like metal geared servo. The same plane I have above came with 225MG's for the v-tail; I replaced them with 225BB's. You DONT want slop in the servos that control pitch!

I wouldn't glue in the 125's for the ailerons. Use a mount, and screw them in, and leave a plug in the lead. If you want to race or fly the plane a lot, buy one spare 125 servo. Better yet, make SLOOP-man buy it for you!

Target

PS. Here's a thread that has a 225 servo mod that helps reliability. The case plastic is soft.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589365
Last edited by target; Jan 31, 2007 at 07:38 PM.