HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Build Log
1914 Ingram/Foster Biplane...

Ok, many many moons ago I had to go down to Albequerque for work, and got a chance to see the ONE 1914 Ingram/Foster biplane in existance. It was just darn cool in my book. And having recently been inspired by a member in our club that does some awesome glow/gas scale ships, I thought I'd do a little research and look into doing one.

After just a quick bit of searching, I saw that Pat Tritle had designed and built one. Knowing that scale would be new to me, doing it scratch would be even harder. So I contacted Pat, and the following week while down there for work yet again, I met up with Pat and picked up the plans and a CD full of build photos and referece photos.

I thought I'd get to it somewhat quickly, but life got in the way, as is normal. Well now I'm settled into a new house, my building space is limited until I can build a workshop, but I have enough room to get started. It's going to take me a while, but I hope to do his plan justice.

Here's a picture so you can see what it is (in case ya don't know)...
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Last edited by Arbo; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:08 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,724 Posts
Cool project! We'll be watching!
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Feb 02, 2007, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Ok, wood ordered. One step in the right direction.

Going by recla-metals today to look for some odds and ends. Hope to get building within the next week or so.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:02 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Nov 2005
192 Posts
Arbo, saw you live in Montrose. I grew up in Gunnison, just up the road from you. Looks like a cool plane. Are those ailerons hanging so far off the back of the wing?

Bill
wmcharg is offline Find More Posts by wmcharg
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Yes, they are half way between the top and bottom wing, and stick out past the end of the wing.

This picture may show it better:
Old Mar 18, 2007, 04:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Got started: Here's the top wing mostly framed up:
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Top wing still needs sanding. Bottom wing built as well.

Started the front fuse.

My bambo skewers seem to be fatter than shown on the plans... so I'll need to do a bit more to secure the connections.. but they are tacked together.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:48 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Rudder and horizontal stab...

BTW, what's the best method you guys have for getting good bends in brass and aluminum tubes?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Rudder and horizontal stab...

BTW, what's the best method you guys have for getting good bends in brass and aluminum tubes?

In automotive muffler shops they use a special set of mandrels that slide along the tube as it's bent, keeps the tube in shape.

I'm not sure if they're still available, but in the HVAC industry theres these tubing bender springs that you slip over tubing while it's being bent. Although if the tube kinks, you can end up with the spring stuck on it. You might try slipping a close fitting spring over the tubing and give it a try..
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:14 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,205 Posts
Doesn't K&S in the USA make a set of externally-applied bender springs for 1/8" and slightly larger size tubing? Their products are available at hobby and craft shops and some hardware stores, along with interesting sizes of aluminum, copper, and brass tubing, some even in square cross-sections.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:17 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,759 Posts
If you don't mind a little flattening you can use fine sand. Crimp one end, fill with sand (or salt) and crimp the other end. Bend. Then cut off ends and empty.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Turns out one of my club members has the mentioned springs and has offered to let me use them.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Pilots seat (and aileron control )...
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:56 PM
Dortmund, Germany
Joined Feb 2007
9 Posts
Cool!!
I started the same project yesterday!
So far i have finished the elevator and rudder (the most difficult parts ). Right now i am making the fittings for the nosewheel from brass. I have bought the spoke wheels from Keith Sparks. But i will use a different material for the tires. It is grey silicone and is a lot sturdier than the foam material which Keith uses for the wheels. I bought it from AerodromeRC here in Germany (which has it's main website in the US http://www.aerodromerc.com/

Good luck with your project!

Olaf

P.S. The bamboo sticks on the picture really look bigger than 1/8'' (3mm). My chinese supermarket round the corner had sticks just the right size.
Olaf Menze is offline Find More Posts by Olaf Menze
Old Apr 08, 2007, 09:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Olaf, yes, my bamboo is too big. It's the only size I could find. So I'll be making a new one with 1/8th dowls. I'll have to check on the stuff for the tires, I kinda wanted a white like the original more than a black foam. I have yet to order my wheels, as I was considering making them, but I think in the next day or two I'll just order some.

I've been out of town for the past week (and still am) but should be getting back to the build soon.

I'm going to be in Germany (Erlangin) for two weeks in my, depending on your distance from there perhaps I could stop and see your's on a weekend.

Paul