SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:15 PM
PiLoTuS pArKfLyIcOuS
Dub Cee, California
Joined Aug 2002
928 Posts
Best AC/DC charger???

i just bought a dymond super turbo charger and found out it didnt have ac support. when i called dymond, they told me that most people prefer dc only cause of the "flat charge"? whats this? im really looking for the convenience of having both ac/dc with the display of the dymond, is there a better charger out there for me?
torcgolf is offline Find More Posts by torcgolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:57 PM
Thumbs a blur
Allen,Texas USA
Joined Dec 2000
126 Posts
Thats a good charger just get a 12 volt power supply from radio shack.
Augeredin is offline Find More Posts by Augeredin
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:18 PM
PiLoTuS pArKfLyIcOuS
Dub Cee, California
Joined Aug 2002
928 Posts
is it safe???

the guy at dymond said that they offer a 12 volt adapter for $84. he said the others are unstable (or something like that) and that his are made for this type of conversion. for $200 id rather get something in the $130 range that supports ac/dc...
torcgolf is offline Find More Posts by torcgolf
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:53 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Look on Ebay. Power supplies can be had for around $35 or so.
12 volt and anywhere from 3 to 15 amps.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Sep 26, 2002, 04:45 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Do you have an old computer lying around? If yes, then is the power supply on it rated to supply the amps you need to charge the biggest pack the charger will support? If yes, then search this site for a cheap way to convert old computer power supplies for rc charging use.

The way I did it is to strip everything out of the computer except the motherboard, power supply (of course) i.e. all the peripherals, drives, etc came off. Then I took the small floppy driver connector and yanked the yellow and adjacent black wire out of the connector. With the computer off, I clip the -ve lead to the black wire and the -ve lead to the yellow wire. My power supply can provide 4A and my mini charger needs 1A.

Just make sure that connection is not exposed and does not touch any metal part on the computer and that you connect/disconnect the charger with the computer off (I yank the plug from the outlet just to be sure).
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:11 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2001
635 Posts
Here's a Pyramid power supply for $34.95 that puts out 10A. The output is 13.8V which I assume is fine for the Dymond. They also have lots of other power supplies...

http://store.yahoo.com/millionbuy/pyrps12k.html

I personally use a modified PC power supply for my charger...
tom_yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by tom_yellowblue
Old Sep 26, 2002, 06:01 PM
Gravitationaly Challenged
La Canada, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
354 Posts
Here is another solution.
Power the charger with a 12 volt lead acid battery.
You can use anything from a small gel cell up to a deep cycle marine battery depending on how many amps you need.
Batteries made to provide constant discharge will last longer, but they will all work for a while.
Pay as much or as little as you like for the features you need.
Now you have a portable 12 volt supply. And your car will always start.
How to charge the lead acid battery? Sears sells cheap chargers - even a float charger ( a float charger will top up the battery and stop charging until it senses a voltage drop - then charge again) for less that $20.
Best, Jay
jmelzer is offline Find More Posts by jmelzer
Old Sep 27, 2002, 03:20 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
There is no AC/DC charger available that can do what you want. The only way to do it is to provide DC power from an AC source in one (or more) of the ways the others have suggested.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC