HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:07 AM
shickshinny pa.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Discussion
dyslexia how many of you have it

I was wondering how many of us model aviators have it and how you think it has help or hinder you. I have it my self and had to quit school and teach my self. Timed test are not for me. and spelling is a pain in the @!#$##%#@@!!. But there is one thing for shore I would not give it up if they found a cure. Thank god for spell checkers best thing since the wing . I think we have the advantage over those who do not have it. We will never be the fastest typists but when it comes to thing out side the box we have it made. let me here for anybody that is interested. well It's time to make my spell checker smoke.
heliraptorcbm is offline Find More Posts by heliraptorcbm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Are you telling me that the you look at the letters on the keyboard, and then you, let's say look at a *f*, but you *see the *d* or the *g* ? Does dyslexia only affect you left to right or vice versa, or does it also affect you up and down ?

A spell checker may find spelling errors, but it does not make up for grammatical errors.
OTOH, it makes up for incorrectly spelled words, but then it often inserts the wrong words altogether.

Does it really affect pilots in their flying, or does dyslexia only affect your reading capabilities ? Since I do not have it, it is hard to imagine what it is like ?

If it does not or should not affect your flying, then this topic is a bit off topic, no ??
If it does, I would not like to be in your vicinity when you are flying or when you are driving .....
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:52 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
I think he's just saying that it's hard for him to spell or else even spell check could'nt help.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
shickshinny pa.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoruwet
Are you telling me that the you look at the letters on the keyboard, and then you, let's say look at a *f*, but you *see the *d* or the *g* ? Does dyslexia only affect you left to right or vice versa, or does it also affect you up and down ?

A spell checker may find spelling errors, but it does not make up for grammatical errors.
OTOH, it makes up for incorrectly spelled words, but then it often inserts the wrong words altogether.

Does it really affect pilots in their flying, or does dyslexia only affect your reading capabilities ? Since I do not have it, it is hard to imagine what it is like ?

If it does not or should not affect your flying, then this topic is a bit off topic, no ??
If it does, I would not like to be in your vicinity when you are flying or when you are driving .....
My eyes see fine It apparently dose not effect the right Side of the brain, but the left side. The right side of the brain is the artistic side of the brain which is what flying is. It can take a life time to over come the complexity of this disorder. In spelling the brain can't put the letters in the right place. I never miss spell the same word the same way, it is always different. As far as flying I am all ready doing inverted hover face in. Starting to get nose down funnel, tail down funnel back flips forward flips. My rolls look like I have ailerons it took a year of Sim training. Only the god of graphics knows how many helis I put in. Us with dyslexia have some difficulty with left and right but that is a god send when it comes to the nose in hover we have to come at things from out side the box
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
shickshinny pa.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53
I think he's just saying that it's hard for him to spell or else even spell check couldn't help.
Ya spelling sucks made strait fs in english and when it came time for public reading it was painful because you knew every body was going to laugh at you it was miserable english spelling make know kind of sense any way we need a few more letters Ben Franklyn was right we should spell it the way it sounds
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
Dushore Pa. & Arcadia Fl.
Joined Jun 2002
110 Posts
HELI ---A member of our club is one of you being cursed with Dyslexia. He is one of the better pilots we have, at least he can fly better than I can. It is a pleasure to see him enjoying the sport as much as he does.

Indourwet: I don't know why it should come up as to it being off topic or not and why it should matter even if it is. I guess we should all be perfect like you. I am sure that if you pilot an RC plane you never even had a close call much less crashed in an uncontroled manner.

Heli -- I live in Dushore Pa in the Summer where do you fly.
Robert Bauer is offline Find More Posts by Robert Bauer
Old Jan 29, 2007, 06:09 PM
shickshinny pa.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bauer
HELI ---A member of our club is one of you being cursed with Dyslexia. He is one of the better pilots we have, at least he can fly better than I can. It is a pleasure to see him enjoying the sport as much as he does.

Indourwet: I don't know why it should come up as to it being off topic or not and why it should matter even if it is. I guess we should all be perfect like you. I am sure that if you pilot an RC plane you never even had a close call much less crashed in an uncontrolled manner.

Heli -- I live in Dushore Pa in the Summer where do you fly.
just out side of shikshinny on a farm I walk out side go 75 feet set my air plain down and go fly ether heli or airplane or rocket what ever the flavor of the day is
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Hmmm.... did some reading up on this problem.
Seems that it only affects recognition of graphic symbols and the mental processing of symbols, hence the difficulty in reading and arithmetic. Since those symbols are mainly left to right, the *problems* seem to be left to right, or horizontally.
It apparently does not at all affect anything else, so people having this *problem*, can drive safely. Flying should be able to be put into the same category there, no ?

FWIW, many of us (including me) have a problem writing the correct sequence of a word on a keyboard where words like *the* are then spelled *teh* etc. It is a similar problem.

Here is an interesting observation for all.

Acrcndiog to resecarh at Cimdrgabe Unierivsty, it deson't meattr what oderr the lertets in a word are, the only ionramptt thnig is that the frist and last lttrees are at the right palce. The rset can be a toatl mess and you can sitll raed it wutihot a pboelrm. This is becsuae we do not raed every letetr by itself but the wrod as a whloe.

With this in mind, I say to heliraptor, just write whatever you write, and everybody will know what you are trying to convey.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Feb 01, 2007, 10:13 PM
shickshinny pa.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoruwet
Hmmm.... did some reading up on this problem.
Seems that it only affects recognition of graphic symbols and the mental processing of symbols, hence the difficulty in reading and arithmetic. Since those symbols are mainly left to right, the *problems* seem to be left to right, or horizontally.
It apparently does not at all affect anything else, so people having this *problem*, can drive safely. Flying should be able to be put into the same category there, no ?

FWIW, many of us (including me) have a problem writing the correct sequence of a word on a keyboard where words like *the* are then spelled *teh* etc. It is a similar problem.

Here is an interesting observation for all.

Acrcndiog to resecarh at Cimdrgabe Unierivsty, it deson't meattr what oderr the lertets in a word are, the only ionramptt thnig is that the frist and last lttrees are at the right palce. The rset can be a toatl mess and you can sitll raed it wutihot a pboelrm. This is becsuae we do not raed every letetr by itself but the wrod as a whloe.

With this in mind, I say to heliraptor, just write whatever you write, and everybody will know what you are trying to convey.
Apparently you must be correct. Had no problem reading your letter and the words did more or less jump at you. But I pried my self on correcting my self so other don't have to concentrate on my bad spelling. Thank you spell check.