HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2007, 05:26 PM
Southern California
Joined Dec 2004
16 Posts
Question
To build a Guillow's Messerschmitt BF-109 or not?

I had a Model Airplane kit handed to me by a neighbor that was moving.
This is a Guillow's Model Kit #401 BF-109 kit that appears to be Years old.
All of the parts appear to be there.
It has the option of rubber band, CL or RC.

I would build it RC...

Thoughts?
Wally_Gator is offline Find More Posts by Wally_Gator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:25 PM
Ol' Deadeye
Lubbock,TX
Joined Aug 2005
124 Posts
Lots of Guillows conversions here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-electric-planes-10/
The major complaint is the wood isn't so hot (too heavy).
-Ted
Dusty Puddles is offline Find More Posts by Dusty Puddles
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:03 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,365 Posts
Wally, what sort of stuff do you fly now and what are your expectations of an RC conversion of this kit? If you're happy to just see something flying then it'll likely work out if you use small enough equipment and keep the overall weight under control. But if you are used to flying aerobatic stuff and models that are spirited then you'll likely be dissapointed.

While the design is likely decent you should check the density of the wood. If it's up to par with many of their kits it may be best if you just use it for shimming table legs.

RC and modern electric power systems may hellp a lot but light is still right. If the kit wood comes in at much over 7 lb/cubic foot then the kit parts would be best used as templates for cutting out new parts.

While the airfoil will work it's not the best option. Part of this issue is related to the design of the construction method with flat leading edges that produce a sharp and poorly defined leading edge due to covering sag. A semi symetrical lower camber airfoil with some 1/32 leading edge sheeting would help a lot. Or even just adding an upper 3/16 sq portion to the stock setup to provide a more stall friendly leading edge shape.

There's probably a ton of other upgrades in some other Guillows' threads. But I just thought you should know that you've got your work cut out.

Here's a thread to a balsa sheet density chart. If you like building small stuff like this and you don't have a sensitive scale then I'd suggest that it's high time to get one. Grams count at this size.

Best of luck if you go ahead with it. Frankly I hate most Guillow's kits myself. Had too many bad ones that I tried to make fly with rubber power when I was a kid. It was cruel and unusual punishment....
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
Southern California
Joined Dec 2004
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Wally, what sort of stuff do you fly now and what are your expectations of an RC conversion of this kit? If you're happy to just see something flying then it'll likely work out if you use small enough equipment and keep the overall weight under control. But if you are used to flying aerobatic stuff and models that are spirited then you'll likely be dissapointed.

While the design is likely decent you should check the density of the wood. If it's up to par with many of their kits it may be best if you just use it for shimming table legs.

RC and modern electric power systems may hellp a lot but light is still right. If the kit wood comes in at much over 7 lb/cubic foot then the kit parts would be best used as templates for cutting out new parts.

While the airfoil will work it's not the best option. Part of this issue is related to the design of the construction method with flat leading edges that produce a sharp and poorly defined leading edge due to covering sag. A semi symetrical lower camber airfoil with some 1/32 leading edge sheeting would help a lot. Or even just adding an upper 3/16 sq portion to the stock setup to provide a more stall friendly leading edge shape.

There's probably a ton of other upgrades in some other Guillows' threads. But I just thought you should know that you've got your work cut out.

Here's a thread to a balsa sheet density chart. If you like building small stuff like this and you don't have a sensitive scale then I'd suggest that it's high time to get one. Grams count at this size.

Best of luck if you go ahead with it. Frankly I hate most Guillow's kits myself. Had too many bad ones that I tried to make fly with rubber power when I was a kid. It was cruel and unusual punishment....
Where to start... The kit was handed to me and I am feeling out the ability to make it something fun to fly. Honestly, I feel it is too small. I want something larger to fly. I would like to progress to being able to build a scale B-17 from WingSpan models or the like..
Wally_Gator is offline Find More Posts by Wally_Gator
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:32 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Bmatthews,
It was cruel and unusual punishment.... hee hee, yep. I must like the pain though

Wally,
It would be more for looks than flight. A GWS 109 foamie would fly much better. If you decide not to build it and all the parts are there. I might buy it off you. I've had success with the smaller guillows and would like to see if the next size up can fly as well. I like the looks of the 109 and the challenge, but don't consider these Guillows planes as good flyers. You have to enjoy building as much as flying. I find CDrom motors are good for this size. They are light, you would need to get very light servos. I use blue arrows, they seem to work well. You will need to plan out your equipment locations. The smaller guillows always ended up tail heavy for me. Control surfaces will need to be designed and reworked. Lots of minor details, can be fun if you like working with balsa and being creative.

Kin
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Feb 03, 2007 at 10:12 PM.