HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2002, 05:53 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Man that Micro Pitts is hard to build.

I'm getting frusterated. I'm on my 6th (!!) fuse for the micro pitts. It seems that every time I build a fuse it either splits on me while gluing or doesn't end up being square. Anyone else having problems? Any tips on how to make sure both peices of balsa bend the same (yes they are cut from the same peice of wood)?
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2002, 06:03 PM
Living Room Aviator
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
If the fuse balsa splits, you may still be able to CA it together; can you put the split pieces together down on a piece of wax paper and apply TINY dabs of thin CA to the joining line? The resulting repair, after some fine sanding, can be indistinguishable from the unbroken piece except it is stronger and stiffer.

-David
drliu is offline Find More Posts by drliu
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:07 PM
Bill Cartwright
Biloxi MS
Joined Feb 2001
47 Posts
I have not had a problem with 1/32 balsa but on thicker balsa I have wiped the balsa with a solution of about 10% bleach in water. Afterwards you should be able to roll it up like paper.
rcnut65 is offline Find More Posts by rcnut65
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:05 PM
New Paltz, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2001
195 Posts
Hi Jim, sorry to hear you're having trouble. I think I mentioned it somewhere before (or maybe it was in a private e-mail), I judge the wood to be used in the fuselage by rolling a piece into a tube. If I can roll the tube to a diameter of about an inch without splitting, it's soft enough to build the fuselage. You have to make sure the grain is consistent throughout the piece of wood - many pieces will have a considerably stiffer area running through it.

As for the fuselage not being square, where, specifically, are you having trouble. The only trouble I ran into was that one of the bottom sides of the fuselage was bowed out more than the other. I was able to fix this (to an acceptable degree) by gently working the bow out as I glued on the bottom sheet. Aside from that, everything turned out square. I hope I wasn't just lucky (I'll know when I assemble David's this weekend... or maybe it'll just prove that I'm really lucky ;c)

Are you gluing the wing in before gluing the back of the fuselage halves together? If so, you shouldn't be - you want the two halves to naturally bend from the back to the front with nothing forcing them either way.
Chris3D is offline Find More Posts by Chris3D
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:19 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I found that strips of 'magic' tape on the outside would keep the wood from splitting when I wrap it around small curves.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:31 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
One of the old tricks I have used for bending balsa is to put some liquid fabric softner into water and wet the balsa with the solution. The fabric softner seems to have the same effect on wood as fabric.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman