SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2002, 05:44 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
What gear ratio for a GWS Hybrid motor running on the Rare Bear Prop.

I just got a rear bear and want to run a EDF motor in my DX-A gearbox, will this work with the stock prop? If not what is the best gearing. I also want to use QC's and 7 cell nicad packs.
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2002, 06:45 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
I have no idea what the Rare Bear's stock prop or gear ratio is....... but I have run one of these "hybrid" IPS drives.

I went from an S2 (3.5:1) with the IPS motor to an A (5.9:1) for the EDF motor while keeping the same propeller (APC 7X4SF). Since the Kv of the EDF motor is almost twice that of the regular IPS motor, that makes some sense.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Sep 25, 2002 at 07:40 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 07:13 PM
E6
Alhambra,CA
Joined Feb 2000
205 Posts
I've seen it ran on my DXA, EDF, with a 7x6 and qualcomms. Locomoto thought this ran much better than his stock setup. I wouldn't recommend a larger prop with the A drive than the 7x6.
I've ran the above setup in other planes and get better results. I think the Rare Bear cowl is to big for this size prop.
I would go with a DXC, EDF and either a 8x6 or 9x6. That what I would think would work good for you.
Al
E6 is offline Find More Posts by E6
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:12 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
742 Posts
My bear is almost ready to fly--- I also though about doing the hybrid thing to it. I will be anxcious to hear how yours goes.

I was also considering running the stock prop with a dual drive, using the #1 gearbox 4-1 ratio or near that... I was thinking it might be able to spin it a bit faster. Have you seen any data for that prop? for comparison,I looked at the GWS three blade prop it's only shown with the 300 motor on thier prop tables though...

Rob
DesignGeek is online now Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:22 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
I'm flying a Mini IFOish with an EDF-50 motor in a DX-E gearbox with a 10x4.7 prop, which is the prop recommended for the DX-A. The performance is tremendous because the lower gearing (higher numerically) of the E drive allows the high Kv EDF-50 motor to spin freely to its most efficient speed. If the gearing and prop do not allow the EDF-50 to spin at a high speed, but rather load it up and cause it to strain, it will not live very long.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:46 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
459 Posts
I have obtained 7 oz of thrust using the EDF motor and the "D" Gear BOx using an 10x8 prop and the 300mah nimh 7 cell pack. It pulled 3.8amps right at first then dropped down to around 3 amps. Was getting around 7min flights on a tiny. I am still running this setup and have not burned up the motor yet, but then again i don't need it at full throttle all the time
www.kpohlmeyer.com

-keith
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Sep 25, 2002, 09:03 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
are you guys buying ips dx-e's and swapping pinions with a bare edf motor? or buying 4.8v dual ips (edf motors I think?) and taking one motor out? might be a better way to go, then slam the unused edf with pinion in a dx-e frame or save it as a spare...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:24 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Or, you could simply buy replacement motors for the LPS-RLC-B or C, which are EDF-50 motors with 10-tooth gears, same as the IPS-DX-EXC motor gear. That's what I plan to do next time around.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 02:50 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Yeah, now that Balsa Products has the LPS-RLC motors as spares you can do a couple of combinations "from scratch". I'm planning to do an IPS-E ratio drive this way to try on the Gym-E and/or TM.

Just be careful with numbers of teeth and tooth pitch (the RLC-C gear pitch doesn't match any IPS spurs). The LPS "B" motor/pinion can serve as the basis for a hybrid "E" drive and the LPS "A" motor/pinion can serve as the basis for a hybrid "B" drive. To get a hybrid "A" you need to either move a 14T pinion from an existing "A" motor or get a 4.8V IPS-D drive and get two motors with the correct pinion installed already. That's how I built my current hybrid "A" drive for the Wing-E.

Watch out here, too: the S1 IPS-D drive pinion has the right number of teeth but different tooth pitch.....

Isn't mixing and matching parts like this fun?
Old Sep 26, 2002, 03:35 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
So you're saying that while the RLC-B and RLC-C motor pinions each have 10 teeth, that the C pinions don't fit the IPS-E spur but the B pinions do? In other words, the pinion and spur gears are matched only for each other, and that a 10-tooth pinion from one is not identical to a 10-tooth pinion from another? That's good to know before buying the wrong ones!
Old Sep 26, 2002, 04:10 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Based on the info on the Balsa Products site - specifically this page :http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/parkFlyers/LPS.asp - the "B" pinon has 0.3mm pitch and the "C" pinion has 0.25mm pitch.

This is in addition to the EPS and IPS S1 and S2 which have 0.4mm pitch gears. One must be very careful in mixing/matching to avoid frustration.....
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:06 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
The rear bear prop is a 3-blade 8x6 or maybe its a 9x6 anyways will a "E" gearbox and a EDF motor run fine on it?
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:14 PM
Des Moines Municipal, Iowa, United States
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
RB prop is 3 blade 9x7, if I understand correctly. I might have the pitch wrong, but it is a 9 inch diameter.
fourleaf is offline Find More Posts by fourleaf
Old Sep 26, 2002, 08:14 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Thanks, BEC. I had not dug deep enough to see the schematic page with all of the details including pitch of the gear teeth. I've always liked the products and service that I've gotten from Balsa Products, and now there's an even better reason to business with them. I really appreciate retailers who work hard to inform the customer of the minutest details about their products.

By the way, has anyone had any experience with the RLC gearboxes? If so, do you like them better than the original IPS gearboxes? Any comments would be welcome.
Old Oct 01, 2002, 07:47 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
742 Posts
Flew the bear in stock set-up last night- I am impressed with it already. I wouldn't mind if it would have a bit more grunt- I would like to get larger diameter loops with it.
Should I be looking for a combo that yeilds more prop diameter, or greater pitch X rpm?
DesignGeek is online now Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member