HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts
Discussion
Oil that PicooZ bearing

I noticed that after about a dozen or so flights that my PicooZ started to chirp (a high-pitched squeak). This was obviously the main shaft bearing starting to rub, which would eventually lead to reduced flight time and a loose wobbly shaft.

To gain access to the bearing without cutting open the whole body, I straightened a paperclip and heated one end in a flame and then melted a small hole in the base of the copter, directly below the bearing. This takes a steady hand, but is quite safe as there are no wires or electronics in this region. The bearing is about 7mm below the surface.

Using the same clip, I then ran some thin machine oil along its length while holding it horizontal and then quickly dipped one end to touch the base of the bearing. The oil ran along the clip and deposited a single drop on the base of the bearing. I then turned the rotor a few times and repeated the process. You could try powering the copter while holding it upside-down.

It may take a couple of flights before the oil penetrates fully, and until it does the rotor may pulsate as the bearing goes through periods of binding and then free running.
Monkfish is offline Find More Posts by Monkfish
Last edited by Monkfish; Jan 29, 2007 at 10:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2004
96 Posts
thanks, good tip.
talktodan is offline Find More Posts by talktodan
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
Great tip, thanks for sharing. I think I'll do this before it's a problem.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Yeah good tip.....

I usually use Marvel Mystery Oil as that Light Weight Machine oil.....

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=545
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jan 28, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
rotor head
St. Joseph, (NW) Missouri
Joined Dec 2006
423 Posts
Try fishing reel oil. It comes in a little bottle with a tiny metal tube at one end kind of like a syringe. I haven't tryed it myself, but I have been thinking that this would be the ideal thing to use for getting to those bearings.
EP_Heli is offline Find More Posts by EP_Heli