Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:22 AM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Discussion
Nitro in a 49 Chris Craft Racer

Hi, Newbie here. I have a 49 Racer I'm building, and am curious if anyone has put a nitro motor in one... I am currently researching a 2stoke motor, was also thinking of a 4stroke, but with a clutch, and possible electric start??? Any suggestions? Thx in advance.
Al B is offline Find More Posts by Al B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2007, 08:28 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Al B, Most people usually go with an electric motor. No mess, no fuss and you get pretty sparkly performance. And you can put the model back on your shelf without it smelling up the whole house.

Having said that, if you really want to go nitro, I took a quick look and it looks like the smallest engine, I could find that would fit is this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMMZ8&P=7

In a boat this small, there is no need or room for a clutch, or electric start. I don't think they make a 4-stroke marine engine this small.
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:47 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
While it could be done, the only benefit would seem to be the noise and exhaust. Considering that the top speed at the recent straight away record event was set by an electric boat at nearly 141 mph, why would you want the nitro? Compare the Traxxas Nitro Vee at 25 mph and the Traxxas Villian (electric) at 30 moh - both have the same hull .
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:33 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,752 Posts
If that is the Dumas C*C, I wonder how the Sentra which is what the sub structure of the hull is made of would take the constant fuel bath from an IC motor?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
It can be done!

Al B, I've put a .15ci Traxxas in a Lindberg PT hull (29.5") and it works just fine, that is ...... it hasn't been completly tested in the water yet. It was my last years project but after investing about 3 months on it just figuring out how to and installing the engine i ended up with a broken starter cable and a self locking prop (don't ask!) Both situations unrelated to the built itself, as not to discourage you Anyways I'm suppose to pick it up coming summer again, all I can tell you is that on dry land it definitly looks goods. As to answer Aerominded worries I would recommend fiberglassing the inside of your boat. Mine is plastic and the Nitro will weaken this kind of plastic if I didn't glass it. Your cooling system, especially if your using a clutch is very important. You will have to use a waterpump to keep the ic engine cool. And I know, there's something about ic engines that all the hassle it brings with it wouldn't keep you away Grts, Eugène
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:15 AM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Wow, thanks for the input guys... here all this time I have been waiting for the email system to send me an email for the responses! I have done some searching, and have found the traxxas nitro vee to have a clutch system, just have to get one in my hand to measure the little guy to see if it will fit. Thanks for the heads up on the plastic, I could totally see that. I tried plastic welding all my seams, and my welder didn't have a cold enough heat setting to weld it properly and not make a "blackened" mess, so it must be a derivitave (sp?) . This plastic doesn't seem that it is to friendly for anything except for sanding and moulding it to the frame with very slight heat.
My only want for the nitro was the ability not to keep changing batts and the noise... wanted it to be more real sounding in the water. I really don't care about speed. The neighborhood water hole doesn't accept nitro, so I may just end up with electric to keep it more "friendly to the enviroment".

Thanks again,
AL B
Al B is offline Find More Posts by Al B