HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
Cool
Here is my KFm-5 DLG GLider (Kline-Fogleman)

Ok, if you guys don't mind, this is a depron glider, so it qualifies here. Not too many interested when comparing it to a 350. to 600. composite glider, I would have to say my smiles are just as good and there is probably more appreciation over here>
If anybody is interested for free plans,see below, just go have them scaled up.

3mm depron wing with 3mm step on top at 50%
doug

Tests on this in the HLG forum, this is the controlled version.,

If you are interested in building the Depron Dynamite from 6mm and 3mm depron look here - excellent beginner build-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614246

Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Last edited by dougmontgomery; Apr 21, 2014 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
wing complete 1.5 ounces

shooting for 4 ounces

36" span with two dymond 4.7 installed with pushrods and control horns

launch peg installed, CF flat stock 7/8 circle

will complet fuse now.

doug
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:52 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
fuse complete, ready for paint

Fuse weight, .5 ounces

so far as shown
wing with servos 36"WS
fuse
horizontal fin

this would make a perfect lunchtime glider...

2.1ouces
doug
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:58 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
991 Posts
Man, I love that fuse. Mind if I borrow the design for my powered foamie glider? Great work Doug! Did you take any pics of the fuse build?
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:22 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Very cool. I've been wanting to try HLG's but can never justify spending the kind of money they want for the composite versions. This may be the ticket to a first try with HLG.

-Noel
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:53 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
paint job complete

WM-sorry but I thought it was so basic-i didn't.

Basically print the plans whatever scale you want,
on the the cut line on the fuse right behind the wing, just make how many layers you want, I am making this one fast but I contemplated the 50" version to have:
7 nose sections
3 tails sections

like this:

IIIMIII

IMI

The M (main)fuse would hold the .055x.177 flat carbon fiber. That is installed by simply cutting a Centerline seperating the top fuse from the bottom fuse. Epoxy in:

then start laminating the layers on.

once all are laminated, sand away to your favorite shape.

I will be building a 50" possibly, this is just a time killer because my composite fuse mold is drying, and I wanted to visit some well appreciative scratchbuilders.

as is weight is 2.2 ounces
doug
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:57 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
DANG IT DOUG! I wanted these guys to think I invented these things,thinking they would never look in the hand launch section,then you have to show them that you did and a REALLY,REALLY PRETTY one to boot!

Man thats nice,where the heck do you find time? And I hope you know I was only kidding!

BLUE SKIES TIM
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:29 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
3.1ounce auw-yipee

Here it is, a one day build and test glide. I have been working on the drawing since last week though.
I really didn't want to cut into the nose, but once again, where else do you put the gear.

I had to make a custom battery lead out of some servo ends.

this is a 6 volt camera battery i soldered directly to.

Test glide with no issues in the backyard, went 50 feet with a gentle toss.

I am happy with it, will get DLG video tomorrow.

I can wait until someone builds a full built up one of these, It will haelp stabilize the rear fuselage.

thanks guys for your interests, once you build one, you will see the affliction.

doug
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:26 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
Oh yea, I just wanted to say a few words.
When I first had the thought of a depron dlg, I wasn't sure which way I was going to build it. Built up or The foamies way. So i let it stew for a while.

Then I remembered the KF airfoil in the foamies sectin that Tony6565was doing and when i first had seen his thread I didn't think to much of it. Now, many months later I went back to get the KF run down. I decided to make my first Depron DLG, The Depron Dynamite using the STEP on the bottom. I wasnt quite sure of how much I wanted to use the profile due to the fact you do not want a lot of drag in DLG. So I did flat plate style with the step at 35%.

With huge sucess and tremendous launch heights, I was impressed so I kept throwing my latest dlg, with flaperons. Video taping when I could of how proud I was.

then One day, Mr. DICK KLINE called me. I almost fell out of my truck because I was going out of town. I wondered, how did he get my number, how does he know my name and so on.... Then I remembered U-tube the videos of his airfoil that I filmed.

I felt like Bruce Willis had just called. Mr. Dick Kline is 75 years old and acts like he is 30. Very insppirational to talk to and we have been talking once a week or so. I still cannot believe the History of this airfoil. I will always remember those feelings I had.

Dick, was very excited to see what I was doing with his airfoil, and suggested that there was actually higher lift with the step on top. So I thought, later I shall test.
he also sent some of my info to a Mr. Dick Wood that actully built an Ultralight withthe KF airfoil on top and flew it.
We still did not know the optimum placement of the step. I did these tests and video taped on just a freeflight glider based on this one I just posted, only with a 30" WS. 1.2 ounce auw.

Remarkably the step worked the best at 50%, as far as I could tell from the video tapes and actually being there.

So I just wanted to show my appreciation for everyones comments, and the fact that this airfoil still lives and works well for the foamy application for strength and speed of build.
Thanks to the following for my enjoyment of this Hobby.

Mr Dick Kline
Mr. Dick Wood
Tony65X65
and anyone else with positive efforts in making things better.
Doug Montgomery
www.montgomeryliteflyers.com
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:12 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery
...then One day, Mr. DICK KLINE called me.
Wow... Small world

It's amazing how much has changed with the evolution of these designs and being able to share information with the advent of the internet.

-ms
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jan 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Thanks for the kudos Doug. I am delighted to see this carry on. It's really winter here and test flying is difficult (I'm allergic to winter) so I'm glad you're doing it. Your glider flies great and you deserve a pat on the back to for continuing the exploration.

I've talked to Dick Kline too and he is truly an exceptional man and a real inspiration.

Keep up the great work,

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
great work doug!
this thing is really beautyful!!! you definitely get the appreciation that you deserve here in the foamy-scratchbuild forum

i've been following the KFm discussion and tony's thread for a while now with great interest. I plan to make a glider with detachable wings to experiment a bit with this airfoil and maybe get some evidence of how it performs against a "normal" foil.
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:58 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Hey guys,

I hate to but in here but there's all these gliders and you have really got me interested. Where do I look to learn more? And what is DLG or HLG? Hand launch I am assuming.

But I would like to learn more so if you can point me to the threads it would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks,
Stephan
Stephan8 is offline Find More Posts by Stephan8
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:11 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
YES... I like this depronbird. Have been thinking about something similar for some time, but too many projects have postponed it.... thank you for sharing this.

Kim
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
For a bunch of info on hlg(hand launch gliders) and sal(side arm gliders) and dlg(disc launch gliders) go here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/hand-launch-96/
If you plan on purchasing a 300-600.00 dollar non motorized glider,
or get a bunch of good ideas by looking through the thread and videos.
I have not had much interrest or comments over there with my depron stuff, because it is not composite, and you can build mine for less then 25.00.

I should have some short video tonight, after editing.

The KFm-5 does need some different reinforcement for dlg, I think I am going to add a piece of 1/64 birch down the side. I was getting some tail flex causing pitch changing on launch today.
doug
Last edited by dougmontgomery; Jan 28, 2007 at 06:16 PM.