HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:12 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,182 Posts
I am lovin' my Dandy. It is a great grab and go plane. With daylight savings I have been able to go over to the park nearly every night this week. I have close to 15 hours air time in the past week and a half on it. It would be more but I only have a couple batteries for it. Next thing I am going to get are a few more batteries. I really like planes the size of the Dandy. Small enough I can toss it in the car and go, yet big enough that it can handle some wind.

I so want to get me another Mountain Models plane. Maybe in a few months I wll get me another.
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Took out the Dandy today yippee. Forgot how well it flies with so little power. Robert
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:19 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Thanks Chuck,
That helped, but still not the nice pretty turns I was hoping for. I think my thumbs need more training!

I wish there was someone local in Victoria with a Dandy Sport to compare. Mine seems, well, not quite right. It is very floaty, and pitches up with any sort of speed or throttle. I don't know if that is how it is supposed to fly, or if mine is just out of adjustment. I think I'll double check the wing incidence, add more down thrust, and experiment with different CG's. (At different times, of course.) But it is frustrating, because I know how well it flies for other people, and I have so little time to adjust mine and fly it.

Edit: I re-read the manual for the Dandy. It says the CG should be at the trailing edge of the spar to 1/4" behind. I've been setting it near the front of the spar because I thought the elevator was too sensitive. I'll lower the throw of the elevator and move the CG back. (A bit at a time.) It'll be interesting to see how things change.

Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Colin,

Use heavy rudder 'before' it slows down. Ailerons aren't needed.... only elevator to keep it pointed straight up...and then, before it slows down and stops, use the rudder.

Chuck
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Last edited by ColinB; Mar 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 12:15 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Ok, I flew the Dandy again while moving the CG back. It makes a world of difference. I didn't have much time as it was getting dark, but I can tell I'm on the right track.

This just goes to show; I've been flying for a few years, and I think of myself as decent modeler and pilot. But still, simple mistakes got me - set the CG properly (and read the manual!) At least I got there eventually!

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Jun 09, 2014, 12:16 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
What outrunner to choose for Dandy regular (non-sport)?

Am building a Dandy (trainer, non sport), and can see from this forum that there are two issues to deal with:

1. Special planning is needed to avoid adding nose weight...what is the best way to handle this?

2. Unless you are going to use an older stick mounted motor there may be difficulty in mounting the motor...how can a non- stick motor such as an Eflite Park motor be installed?

Any advice?
rwpeek is offline Find More Posts by rwpeek
Last edited by rwpeek; Jun 09, 2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
Is this a reasonable choice for Dandy power system?

This motor will allow a prop of 9 inches or less so ground clearance should be ok, and provide around 75 watts of power. If I later change to a Sport wing will the power be adequate?

Himax HC2808-1160 motor, with 1300 2S lipo?

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html

I am wondering if there is a way to avoid adding nose weight.
rwpeek is offline Find More Posts by rwpeek
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:24 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeek View Post
This motor will allow a prop of 9 inches or less so ground clearance should be ok, and provide around 75 watts of power. If I later change to a Sport wing will the power be adequate?

Himax HC2808-1160 motor, with 1300 2S lipo?

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html

I am wondering if there is a way to avoid adding nose weight.
While I don't have the 1160KV version I have several of the 980KV that I ran on 3S packs in both Dandy's and all 10 SwitchBacks. Can't recall what prop size off the top of my head. Those Himax motors are bulletproof and dirt cheap used. They already come with the 10mm stick mount adapter so it just slides right in place. Not sure why anyone has nose weight issues. I just move the battery as needed to achieve proper CG.

Going to the sport wing from the "standard" wing will actually be a performance improvement. 75 watts or so will fly this plane well beyond your expectations as long as you keep overall weight down. 2S LiPo is a good start for weight savings.

Enjoy!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jun 12, 2014, 03:05 PM
Stevephoon
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
It maybe too late... but I like the little EMax motors. HeadsUpHobby sells them with both the stick and firewall mounts.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-CF2...otor-E-505.htm

There's a few other versions available as well...

Use a 850-1000 mAh 2 cell and an 8 in prop and you can float forever!

Steve
slabuta is offline Find More Posts by slabuta