HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2009, 05:12 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,161 Posts
I am lovin' my Dandy. It is a great grab and go plane. With daylight savings I have been able to go over to the park nearly every night this week. I have close to 15 hours air time in the past week and a half on it. It would be more but I only have a couple batteries for it. Next thing I am going to get are a few more batteries. I really like planes the size of the Dandy. Small enough I can toss it in the car and go, yet big enough that it can handle some wind.

I so want to get me another Mountain Models plane. Maybe in a few months I wll get me another.
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:28 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,753 Posts
Took out the Dandy today yippee. Forgot how well it flies with so little power. Robert
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:19 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Thanks Chuck,
That helped, but still not the nice pretty turns I was hoping for. I think my thumbs need more training!

I wish there was someone local in Victoria with a Dandy Sport to compare. Mine seems, well, not quite right. It is very floaty, and pitches up with any sort of speed or throttle. I don't know if that is how it is supposed to fly, or if mine is just out of adjustment. I think I'll double check the wing incidence, add more down thrust, and experiment with different CG's. (At different times, of course.) But it is frustrating, because I know how well it flies for other people, and I have so little time to adjust mine and fly it.

Edit: I re-read the manual for the Dandy. It says the CG should be at the trailing edge of the spar to 1/4" behind. I've been setting it near the front of the spar because I thought the elevator was too sensitive. I'll lower the throw of the elevator and move the CG back. (A bit at a time.) It'll be interesting to see how things change.

Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Colin,

Use heavy rudder 'before' it slows down. Ailerons aren't needed.... only elevator to keep it pointed straight up...and then, before it slows down and stops, use the rudder.

Chuck
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Last edited by ColinB; Mar 24, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:15 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Ok, I flew the Dandy again while moving the CG back. It makes a world of difference. I didn't have much time as it was getting dark, but I can tell I'm on the right track.

This just goes to show; I've been flying for a few years, and I think of myself as decent modeler and pilot. But still, simple mistakes got me - set the CG properly (and read the manual!) At least I got there eventually!

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB