HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2002, 09:34 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Wylam Drawings

Hi All,
Does anyone know where Wylam drawings might be obtained in their original size. I am looking for his drawings of the Bristol F2B Brisfit which were drawn at 1/4" = 1' scale. Thanks
Dave
a67ems is offline Find More Posts by a67ems
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:56 PM
NW California
Joined Mar 2002
114 Posts
Hello Dave
If you measure carefully, you will find that the published drawings are scaled 1/4"= 1'. The brisfit has a 39'4" wingspan and the drawings measures 9.64"- very close to 1/4"=1'. I suspect that the origional draft was drawn larger with photographic reduction for publication planned and the title block written for the publication. Since AirAge (publishers of Model Airplane News) published most or all of the Wylam drawings, they probably own the origionals.

I have built a number of models from Wylam drawings by enlarging them optically and latly by scanning, vectorizing and working them over in CAD. I hope that this has been of some help.
Jim
GHMBO is offline Find More Posts by GHMBO
Old Sep 25, 2002, 01:01 PM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
One warning: Some of Wylam's drawings are very incorrect, and, IIRC, his Brisfit drawings are the worst (per the Air Age book of his drawings). Even if they are incorrect, they're still awfully pretty, though!

Bill B.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 01:45 PM
NW California
Joined Mar 2002
114 Posts
Yes, Wylam drawings have mistakes. Better drawings for some WW1 airplanes are here
http://members.rogers.com/nieuport/
Jim
Old Sep 25, 2002, 09:34 PM
Scott Black, Montreal
montreal quebec Canada
Joined Sep 1999
1,254 Posts
Re: Wylam Drawings

Quote:
Originally posted by a67ems
Hi All,
Does anyone know where Wylam drawings might be obtained in their original size. I am looking for his drawings of the Bristol F2B Brisfit which were drawn at 1/4" = 1' scale. Thanks
Dave
http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/li...d=42&catego=PL

I assume they are the correct size based on ones I have bought in the past.
sblack is offline Find More Posts by sblack
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:19 PM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Wylam Drawings

Thanks to all who responded!

Let me play the Devil's advocate - Who and how was it determined that Wylam's F2B drawings are so inaccurate? Did someone go to an existing F2B with Wylam dwgs in one hand and a tape measure in the other and spend hours checking the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of the dwgs. Does anyone know in what respects they are not correct?

Dave
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:40 PM
NW California
Joined Mar 2002
114 Posts
Hi Dave
I don't know that the F2B is inaccurate, but I have varified problems with the SE5a. It is best that you varify for yourself. I suggest going to
http://members.shaw.ca/flyingaces/archive1.htm
and printing the F2B pictures and doing some scaling and compare with Wylam. Also note the wide model variations. There are several F2b's in collections that can be examined. The Shuttleworth Trust has one and I seem to remember another one somewhere. A search will probably yield more. Good luck.
Jim
Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:10 PM
NW California
Joined Mar 2002
114 Posts
Hi Dave
I did a check of the printed preamble to the drawings in the publication "Scale Aircraft Drawings Vol. 1" and the publisher cautions modelers about accurate problems in the following areas.
1. Oval radiator
2. tapering rear fuselage
3. vertical tail
4. underline of engine cowling

I have to admit that from a draftsmans viewpoint they are beautiful.

In the modeling world, scale has many meanings-any high wing cabin plane painted yellow can be called a Cub, any red 3-winged airplane with crosses can be called a Fokker. If you like the drawings and the airplane - build it. Few know the difference.
Jim
Old Sep 27, 2002, 07:34 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Wylam Drawings

Jim,
Your advice is well taken. You are absolutely right! If a model is not going to be judged in a scale contest then it really doesn't matter if there are some variations from the prototype. As long as the modeler is satisfied with the result.

Thanks for the link to the WW1 aviation picture site. Fantastic. I did as you suggested, downloaded all the F2B pictures.

I know there is a drawing of the F2B for rubber scale (out of England). It's 26.5" w/s. Perhaps this will do for a start, modifying as I see fit. Thanks again.
Dave