HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2007, 03:15 PM
Paris, FRANCE
Joined Nov 2006
200 Posts
Yippee!
Videos Saturn donuts-models parttern flying

Hi guys,

Please find a new plane by Donuts-Models.
The Saturn : 780mmm, 160g-170g, axi 2203/53, 3 EP6.0 servos, 2s battery.

Two videos :
http://sfpam.club.free.fr/Saturn/Cli...Free_Style.wmv
http://sfpam.club.free.fr/Saturn/Clip_Saturn_Impose.wmv

The link www.donuts-models.com is not updated but the new plane is available.
nicolas pietu is offline Find More Posts by nicolas pietu
Last edited by nicolas pietu; Jan 26, 2007 at 01:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2007, 03:16 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,271 Posts
Interesting aerodynamic device on the rudder.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:44 AM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
I want one!

Our club has just acquired the use of a small schools gym and I was looking for my first 3D capable foamy. I want something that flies at a slower pace like the Donut Models Aito, or Mystique. But they are a bit on the larger side.
Then I checked out Donuts web site in France and came across this plane, the Saturn. Oh man, perfect. I see in these close ups the air brakes/spoilers mounted on the struts and rudder. These must aid in the slow flight.
I just wrote a letter to Hobby Lobby to see if they have any plans on importing this model, but I imagine thats highly unlikely. On the Donuts website there is a vid of it flying in competition in 2006, so the design has been around awhile.
If I cannot get one here, I`ll see if they or another European distributor will ship me one at a fair price. Gotta fly this one!
Chad H
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:14 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad H
Then I checked out Donuts web site in France and came across this plane, the Saturn. Oh man, perfect.
Chad H
Hi Chad,

did you notice how old this thread is? Biplanes are an old hat. No serious competitor uses them anymore.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:56 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Hi Chad,

did you notice how old this thread is? Biplanes are an old hat. No serious competitor uses them anymore.

Jürgen
My impression though is the trends in F3P aren´t based solely on performance. It´s a lot about copying what the best guy currently uses. And what the best guy uses often comes down to personal preference.

Just look at F3A where people have chosen monoplanes over biplanes for a very long time. Now that they are starting to find out how to design biplanes with a "monoplane feel" and getting around the coupling issues, bipes are growing in popularity and Quique Somenzini won the worlds last year with a biplane.

So I think we may be seeing more biplanes again in F3P in the future... when? I don´t know.

I just don´t think it´s as simple as saying that no serious competitor uses biplanes. I simply think that the biplanes used in F3P so far were designed using the wrong concept (too much wing area for one thing, but many other details as well).

Oh well, we´ll see.

/Erik
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Johansson
I just don´t think it´s as simple as saying that no serious competitor uses biplanes. I simply think that the biplanes used in F3P so far were designed using the wrong concept (too much wing area for one thing, but many other details as well).

Oh well, we´ll see.

/Erik
Of course I simplified my statement, but I don't think biplanes have an edge over monoplanes from an aerodynamic viewpoint - neither in full size, nor as a model.

Biplanes have been popular in Aerobatics, full size and Indoor, but they aren't anymore. They have never been popular in F3A at all.

Jürgen
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:34 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
They have never been popular in F3A at all.

Jürgen
Definately true. But the top pilots are flying them now. The advantage they claim is mainly superior performance in rolling manouvres. The main downside in F3A is all the added complexity and the difficulty of building them below the weight limit. Neither of which is a problem for indoor planes.

I don´t hope for another wave of bipes in F3P nor of anything else. I just find it boring to see just about everyone coming to a competition with the same kind of plane. So I hope to see a better mix in the future.

/Erik
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:49 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Johansson
I just find it boring to see just about everyone coming to a competition with the same kind of plane. So I hope to see a better mix in the future.

/Erik
Hi Erik,

unfortunately the mix you are hoping for is something you saw in the past. All modern F3P (or F3A) models are very similar: Manta, Clik, Mercury, Nexus etc.

Jürgen
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Exactly my point. I´m hoping that will change...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:14 PM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. But your misinterpreting me. I do not fly F3P .Maybe I should not be inquiring in this forum, but this is the best place to go for what I am asking. I am just a newbie to the indoor 3D/pattern/aerobatic scene. Our small club as just acquired a local school gym on the cheap, and I am in the market for a foamy that will fly at a slower pace yet be capable of doing it all. I don`t care what is in fashion at the competitions, what the world champion uses, or if the tail drops a bit out of the bottom pull out of a square loop.
What I would like, is a foamy with lots of drag in a smaller package , and lots of wing area for lift at slower speeds. A biplane foamy fits the bill.
I saw the video links to the Donuts-Models Aito and Mystique, and man, I love the speed they fly at. But they are both a bit on the large size for my flying site.
Then just the other day I came across the videos of the smaller sized Saturn. Seeing it too flew at a slower speed, with even simpler construction (hence cheaper) , fits my bill to a "T".
If you know of a monoplane that flies as slow as it does , in a 78cm package that I can buy over the counter, I am all ears.
Thanks, Chad.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:48 PM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
Just to add another note, the 2008 I-Hobby winner was a Fancy Foam Maxum. It also placed 7th at the 2007 E-TOC.
The 5th place winner was a Fancy Foam Blender (Andrew Jesky design)
And guess what? they were both biplanes with a wingspan under 27 inches (69cm)
http://www.fancyfoam.com/Combo%20Kits.htm
Chad.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Yeah but they are all north american designs....they can't be any good.
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Last edited by george@dream-flight; Feb 25, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:54 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad H
Just to add another note, the 2008 I-Hobby winner was a Fancy Foam Maxum. It also placed 7th at the 2007 E-TOC.
The 5th place winner was a Fancy Foam Blender (Andrew Jesky design)
And guess what? they were both biplanes with a wingspan under 27 inches (69cm)
http://www.fancyfoam.com/Combo%20Kits.htm
Chad.
And 4th was a Vrolet, 3rd was a Razorback bipe, and 1st was a Keima bipe. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more monos this year. Keep in mind though, most of our ETOC pattern maneuvers are very different than the F3P maneuvers.
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:22 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,117 Posts
Quote:
They have never been popular in F3A at all.
Jurgen, why do you bash biplanes....
Saying that bipes have never been popular in F3A is not true.

The Aito won no less than 4 F3P championships, and countless more smaller contests most likely.

There is nothing wrong with bipes, and if set up correctly, are just as capable of flying F3P as any other plane. The reason why most of the newer designs are monoplanes is mostly for weight. Everyone is trying to get lighter and lighter designs.

To say that bipes cannot be effective winning designs is pure bull. Even Quique Somenzini, the WORLD CHAMPION would disagree.

If monoplanes were so superior to biplanes, certainly the world F3A championships would have been won by one.
Bryan Davison is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Davison
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:08 PM
Go Buckeys!
Champaign, IL
Joined Aug 2005
118 Posts
Perhaps the our fine friends from overseas have never competed against competetive competitors with biplanes?

You cannot argue with results.

JN
JasonNoll is offline Find More Posts by JasonNoll