HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2002, 09:55 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
Perfect fit for the GWS EDF 50!

Oh my oh my!!!
I was at the hobby shop trying to figure out just how I was going to put my two new GWS edf's to good use before I got my Mr Bones ready and voila! my son finds a comet mini hand launch jet! Better yet, it was on sale for 2.95!!! I realized the true potential that this little bugger has and decided to make it my coffee fix delight tonight.

I started with a dremel tool cutting out a flat area for the fan aft of the wing then figured out where I needed to mount the battery to get the CG right.

We took it out for a hand launch to see if the wingloading was going to work. It flew like a brick - just right!!!

Came inside and began carefully using the dremel tool to cut slots for servos, and receiver. Then cut out the rudder and the elevator using tape to join the elevator and EZ CA hinges for the elvator!!! COOOOOOOOOOOL
Test flew tonight - it flies but needs lots of room!!! for the launch - very pitch sensitive on the launch until the speed is up but flies none the less!!!
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2002, 10:05 PM
NRH, TX
Joined Jan 2002
190 Posts
That's pretty cool! It doesn't look like it has much dihedral, does it turn allright?
Flying Taco is offline Find More Posts by Flying Taco
Old Sep 25, 2002, 07:59 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Wing sweep = dihedral
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:15 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
tricky launch

it is pretty stable once it gets going but real tricky on launch . . it loves to tip stall if you try to raise the nose before it is ready. Gentle and straight launches are required and from a high post - reach up high - so you get a little bit extra altitude to build up speed.

Overall speeds are reasonable but needs to be going all the time. . there is no slow flight yet as the little bugger gets real squirly once it slows down - swept wing with rudder only is a bit tricky!!!

It is very durable - suprisingly.... I hit hard many many times before I got the launch correct - but it just kept on going without a break. The fan on top is great because it doesnt get junked up when you rack it in since it is shrouded.

The all up wieght is 4.9 OZ with the Qualcomm cells up front and the thrust of the motor on 7 volts is suppose to be 3.5 OZ.

I took extensive pics of the retrofit, if folks are interested in it Ill post them with the "directions"..

It is prety cool cosidering that I only spent 2 hrs putting it together and spent only $2.98 for the "kit"!!!!!

Phil
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:29 AM
I am to the limit!
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Sep 2002
138 Posts
I'd seen this a few days ago and thought maybe you might be interested in it since you're using an EDF-50:

http://www.aeromicro.com/dennisdefevere_EDF50.htm

They report 25% more thrust by adding an inlet ring and tail cone to the fan unit. There's another artical at http://www.aeromicro.com/DennisDeFevere_EDF50_Rotor.htm that describes how to balance the fan assembly.

Jeff
Jeff Costantino is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Costantino
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:59 PM
NRH, TX
Joined Jan 2002
190 Posts
flying taco = Dummy

I haven't had any experience with swept wings, thanks for the lesson.

I have been searching for something that flies a single edf-50 with a qualcomm pack, this plane looks like a winner.

I tried that set-up on a Drenalyn , but it didn't have enough power to climb. Maybe if I try it again with that inlet ring and tail cone, plus taking a little of the under camber out it would work.
Flying Taco is offline Find More Posts by Flying Taco
Old Sep 25, 2002, 03:14 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I have the same thing only mine is a Varmint. M-100 motor geared with a 7x8 prop (add more twist to a 7x6 prop). Your right though that it needs speed. Flies like a rock on low throttle.
And sorta hard to launch right. But once its up, hold on to your
pants!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Sep 25, 2002, 05:43 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
squiggley

yeeeeeeeeeees saaaaaaaaaaaaaa

the launch is tricky and you just have to let it go before you mess with it, if you try to turn before you fly it about 60' out you are going to mess up!

I messed with it today and had the same results but flew it for about 6 minutes before I got the bug to fly something else.

It is fun but you cant really do anything with it other than nice big turns and high speed passes...when the power drops - you are landing. . . . . it is rather nice - there is no planning involved - just let everything get out of the way!!!