HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
I'll go with Phil's tail heavy comment. I just flew this plane a week ago, and it flys well:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post13038495

The Guillows plan cg is probably too far rearward for rubber flight, and definitely too far forward for heavier rc flight. This is true with all Guillows plan cgs. I'm not sure if you used it, but I now start all my planes out at 25% center chord or less, assuming a straight wing that is reasonably symmetrical about the center chord line. I flew this plane at less than 25% center chord and it was quite sporty and responsive. Did not fly like a nose heavy plane whatsoever, and I would not move it rearward at all, after the flight.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:28 AM
Registered User
Pigeonflyer's Avatar
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
Hi WTFLYR,
Good point, tail heaviness! I wish your build thread had been earlier than my maiden flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFLYR
The Guillows plan cg is probably too far rearward for rubber flight, and definitely too far forward for heavier rc flight.
I used the CG specified in the instructions, probably just slightly less than 30% from LE. Now I see that must have been one problem, and will check the thing for a nose-heavier balance.


Quote:
my rudder was a bit out of alignment...
...The first flight before the corrections was a tail dragging sidewinder. Really tough to keep in the air.
This is quoted from your build thread, but it is exactly like in my case, exept that my plane landed nose-first...


Perfect build, congrats, anyway!!!
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Last edited by Pigeonflyer; Sep 11, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:41 AM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonflyer
Hi WTFLYR,

Quote:
my rudder was a bit out of alignment...
...The first flight before the corrections was a tail dragging sidewinder. Really tough to keep in the air.


This is quoted from your build thread, but it is exactly like in my case, exept that my plane landed nose-first...

Perfect build, congrats, anyway!!!
Partially quoted. Actually the slight rudder misalignment alone would not have been much of an issue, if it was not in conjunction with the incidence mismatch. The plane had greater positive incidence on the right wing, which caused it to bank left. Now combine that with a rudder pointing slightly to the right. That caused the tail to be forced leftward, which created the overall "sidewinder" effect.

Well anyways, I'd like to see you get the nose back together and put some good flights on the plane. To nice of a build to shelve.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
3 Posts
As i was seperating the parts into seperate bags depending on if it was the wing, tail or fueselage i realized that some parts on the directions were not wood...they must be something else does anyone no by anychance what that could be?? also i realized that it comes with a few medal rods and a wood rod, clay etc...i would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me to explain what all this stuff is and were it goes? as this is my first build ever thank you. and could u please reply to my thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113063
Justin Zwecker is offline Find More Posts by Justin Zwecker
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:59 PM
Suspended Account
WTFLYR's Avatar
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Zwecker
As i was seperating the parts into seperate bags depending on if it was the wing, tail or fueselage i realized that some parts on the directions were not wood...they must be something else does anyone no by anychance what that could be?? also i realized that it comes with a few medal rods and a wood rod, clay etc...i would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me to explain what all this stuff is and were it goes? as this is my first build ever thank you. and could u please reply to my thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113063
Guillows used to use plywoood, but they cheapened and use this vinyl crap now. I think it's ok for firewalls, but that's about it. I do use it as a former inside the cowls on some of their planes, where it is practical. I would not use the vinyl parts for things such as wing spars and struts. Use real wood.

The clay, screws, and other parts are for control line flying. I save the stuff, as it is all useful. I use the wood dowels for locator dowel in my builds, such as for removable cowls. The control line string is good for wing rigging on biplanes, and for hanging your planes from the ceiling. The wire that is roughly .032" can be used for pushrods, but most is heavier and is unnecessarily heavy for an rc conversion. The wire they give you for the landing gear is too thin for an rc conversion, and you'll want to use a bit thicker. I stash the wire away, and have used it in other builds over the years.

I just finished one of these recently and have been enjoying flying it. Here's the build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092242
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GUILLOW'S CESSNA 172 SKYHAWK conversion to electric. reznikvova Parkflyers 25 May 03, 2008 01:56 AM
Video Guillow,s cessna 172 video Zimm Electric Plane Talk 15 Dec 10, 2007 04:08 PM
Video New cessna 172 video slow flying Zimm Electric Plane Talk 2 Feb 06, 2007 07:28 PM
Video! Guillow's SE5-a with CD-ROM AteIier-U Parkflyers 5 Sep 24, 2004 11:41 PM
RFFS for Guillow's 24" Cessna 170 mkirsch1 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 6 Jan 22, 2003 08:26 AM