Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:01 AM
Joined Apr 2007
76 Posts
Hey Zimmerman I am building a the hobby-lobby cessna 172 and its covered in mylar I was wondering if the plastic you used to cover your model was anything like mylar and what paints you used on it. My biggest problem right now in my build is trying to figure out which kind of paint I can airbrush on the mylar to make it stick. Thanks in advance.
Riotz is offline Find More Posts by Riotz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:37 AM
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotz
Hey Zimmerman I am building a the hobby-lobby cessna 172 and its covered in mylar I was wondering if the plastic you used to cover your model was anything like mylar and what paints you used on it. My biggest problem right now in my build is trying to figure out which kind of paint I can airbrush on the mylar to make it stick. Thanks in advance.

Riotz the film was called SOLA LIGHT.

the lights film and not see thought.

zim
Zimm is offline Find More Posts by Zimm
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
Mansell Models
United States, UT, Layton
Joined May 2004
1,294 Posts
Zim,

You inspired me to start mine. I started the project over a year ago, and got caught in many projects between. I do plan on getting back to finishing the project after the New Year.

Tom
N827TM is offline Find More Posts by N827TM
Old Nov 22, 2007, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
The little Guillows flies nice too. Like Zim, I used the box detail scheme.
I've looked at the 36" 172 countless times, and it'll probably be there on the LHS shelf whenever I want it.

I'm amazed how nice Zim's turned out, without sheeting the fuse. My sparring work would never be clean enough, without sheeting, to look that good.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:12 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
Hey Zim,
Can you tell me the kit number for this one please?
I'm adding it to a database here on RC Groups.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61#post9275360

Cheers- Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:27 PM
Rather be Hover'n
Omaha, NE
Joined Jul 2004
89 Posts
looks like a 802 - CESSNA SKYHAWK 172
Redbeardrc is offline Find More Posts by Redbeardrc
Old Nov 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1 Posts
hi mate , jus wondering if u no a way of keeping the wing struts on wen u take the wing of... if u do could u tell me the simplest way
tadpole95 is offline Find More Posts by tadpole95
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Hi scale Cessna fliers here,
I have just completed mine (the same Guillows-kit conversion), thought you might be interested.
http://forum.rcmodell.hu/index.php?topic=41841.30
Check for post #33.
If I see that this thread is still live, I will post some details here and have some questions, before finally trying to make my Skyhawk airbound. I have serious concerns with weight, thrust/drag of this plane
Regards,
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:07 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
731 Posts
Looks great! Love to see the pics on here and your build/flight experiences.
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement anyway. Here are some pics of the ready-built model. The design (painting + decals) is an attepmt to reproduce the real C172 in sevice at LHPP (Hungary), the closest civilian airport to my home.

Behold the original and the model: 8) For those who cannot but look for differences: yes, there are some. The optical upwards curving of the tail part of the fuselage, resulting from the painted lines, did not please me so I rectified the situation. And, well, I cannot help if no wheel pants are used on the original - they should be there

Whether my model will be able to fly, we'll see.. It is perfect in taxiing on the rug, anyway

All-up weight 394g = 14 ounces
The currently installed drive system in the plane includes a 1000mAh 2-cell LiPo battery, a 29g 1500KV 100W Hyperion brushless motor with adequate 10A ESC, and 6,5x5 or 7x5 BlueBird Thin Electric prop.
The former (smaller) prop gave just 180-190g = 6,3-6,5oz static thrust at full rpm.
The wing area is 10 sqdm = 1,076 sq foot, which, compared with the 14 ounces seems a bit weaky...

I don't want to smash the li'l one right for the first takeoff attempt.
Need your suggestions...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
731 Posts
I've never flown this plane. But if I remember right it flies nice as long as it's light. Did you see the video in this thread. It looks like a nice flier. The scale detail on yours looks very nice and, well, detailed. I've had one of these planes in abox for about 10-15 years now (I think it was the mid 90's when I got it???) and would like to build it someday. Your project and all the others inspire me to get off my butt and build my bird.
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old Feb 20, 2009, 04:07 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Thanks, Pootman
Yes, I watched both videos, and the sight is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootman
if I remember right it flies nice as long as it's light.
This is just what might be a problem with mine. Zimmermann's plane is 10 oz compared to mine which is 40% heavier. I am wondering what drag/thrust would be enough for my plane and what speed could give it reassuring potential to climb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootman
Your project and all the others inspire me to get off my butt and build my bird.
Yeah, do so! I can confirm that it is worth getting down to it.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Crashed it...
Short video here:
C 172 Skyhawk unsuccessful test flight (1 min 14 sec)

Plane still on top of the bookshelf.
Actually I have no idea what the problem was. No damage to drive, electronics and wings, so I will soon will re-build the nose and test the model again.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:23 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
Tail heavy I'd say to start with - but what a beautiful model!
Shame to see it go back to the workshop so soon.
Looks like enough power, may need some left trim in the ailerons.
Cetainly needs to be able to return the wings to level while climbing out because that looked like a stall to me just as it started the (fatal) side-slip.
more height would have bought you more time.
Please keep at it, these are beautiful models - superb craftsmanship indeed.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Thanx Phil,
I was suspecting the rudder to have stuck to the right (down-turn starts abruptly at 0:53 as speed wears away but wind from the prop remains) but it was in central position and moving freely. Not enough height was a problem indeed: that's what prevented me from being able to see the plane once it had turned in behind my car.
Will be back as soon as there's some advance.