HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:02 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,583 Posts
Discussion
Depron Turkey Vulture

Where I fly on the ranch I have loads of Turkey Vultures always thermaling around.....so I thought I'd try one out of 6mm depron. Had Bob Hoey's plans for quite awhile (from Model Airplane News). Used his basic plan form. His is a pretty complex built up balsa designed sailplane. I wanted a simple foam powered one to fly with the local turkeys. It's 6mm black and white depron, 65 inch span. Will use a clear vertical tail and a brushless 370 with a folding prop. Some flat carbon for strength. Some pics as it comes along. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.
STRINGFLY <>++++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:05 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,583 Posts
and...

and.....
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:14 PM
Lancaster, OH
Joined Mar 2004
196 Posts
Oh my. Yes. That's another 'must build".
We have Black Vultures in the early spring and
Turkey Vultures (all black wings) in the rest of the
year. It'll be hard to out fly them, though.
Yours looks fine. I like a lot. Wont those be fun to
soar around with.

WWII
WrongwayII is offline Find More Posts by WrongwayII
Old Jan 25, 2007, 01:02 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
I like it!

But..... is it a male or female ... TV????

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Jan 25, 2007, 01:09 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Dec 2003
87 Posts
Stringfly,

You’ve done it again; created a marvel of simplicity and something a lot of people are going to want to build (myself included). Three summers ago I spent about ten minutes in a big thermal with several vultures. They became curious and navigated closer until I turned on the motor to come back home. That sent them flying away, but it was fun while it lasted!

Nice project.
Buster Brown is offline Find More Posts by Buster Brown
Old Jan 25, 2007, 05:29 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Nice job Stringfly. It ought to make the little birds crazy and you can circle it over people you don't like. LOL

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jan 25, 2007, 05:38 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
awsome vulture stringfly!
are you going to sand in a bit of airfoil to improve the glide? and id sand the tip feathers too imho
i recall seeing an update to the raven in MAN that gave it aileron with just the tip feathers. it looked really cool. wouldnt be too hard with a foamie i 'spose

Derrik
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jan 25, 2007, 06:07 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Where we live it's common to wake Up in the morning , look out the window and see schmaybe ' 30-40 Vultures in a tree, opening their wings to warm UP in the sun (when it is out)... Strange but cool .... This new plane should be very interesting flying with the flock... Beauty job as usual , String !!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:24 AM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
It's a beauty

Any chance of a plan in the future.

A few minor changes and you could have a hawk or an eagle(that would cause some excitement in the avian population...)
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,583 Posts
plans

May do some simple plans if Bob Hoey doesn't mind. Need to get it all worked out and flying first. STRINGFLY <>+++++
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:58 AM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Here is one that I built out of fan fold a couple of years ago. Span 48" painted with Apple Barrel craft paints. Flies very well and always draws a crowd when I bring it out. Supprisingly it looks fairly real when it is up there. I have had many times where several buzzards will join me in a thermal.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
cool stuff string! I love it! Plans definitey!!!
I've build a bird style plane last summer. glided super but wing was too soft and collapsed. rudder-elevator setup with good portion of dihedral works best on those kind of thermalling planes.

I've had a funny encounter with some seagulls a wile ago. I was doing very tight circles with my (very silent) mini-motorglider in the park when suddenly two gulls showed up and joined my plane. they must have thought that I've found a thermal and wanted to take advantage of that one too. dumb animals - it was about -1°C and overcast, absolutely no thermalling conditions :-)
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:10 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
I am an environmental Educator and I could use this for a bird study class... pretty coold specially to scare some squirrels haa haa... I would love to see some plans
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:28 AM
North seattle
Joined Oct 2006
36 Posts
Wow! That has got to be one of the coolest planes I have ever seen!
Maybe after a while, when I actually become a decent builder i can try my hand at one of these.
Tell us how it flys! Is this an aieleron (hmmmm how do you spell that?) plane? Elevons? What is the estimated final weight?
Sorry for all the questions... I love planes that look like something else!
Thanks.
foamlover is offline Find More Posts by foamlover
Old Jan 26, 2007, 08:35 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,583 Posts
Have the motor mounted and just about all the radio gear in. Will post some pictures tonight. It will be aileron and elevator to start with....may add rudder coupled with ailerons if needed. Will probably just put a depron vertical tail in place instead of a flimsy clear one. Not to concerned with the actual visual impact but would like it to handle reasonable well. All up weight should be about 10 to 12 ounces.....has over 600 sq. inches of wing area...... should be a real floater, but won't penetrate wind very well with the highly undercambered wing. STRINGFLY <>++++