SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:19 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Question
Brushless motors: Geared or Direct Drive?

Although I'm not a total noobie, this seems like a noobie question, so I thought I'd post it here...

I've been using direct drive brushless motors and have been very happy with them. I just noticed a Feigao 4.43:1 B motor and gearbox at BP Hobbies for $33 that will produce 14 oz of thrust while drawing ~5 amps using an 1147 prop.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...18&pid=V298562

Questions:

Other than more moving parts to go bad (I assume), what are the disadvantages to the geared systems?

Anyone have a feel for the weight of this motor/gearbox? I didn't see it listed.

Thanks in advance for your input.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:57 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
There's no disadvantage really. If you put LOTS and LOTS of flights on it you may eventually wear out the plastic spur gear, but it's an easy replacement even if you do. It's possible to break the gearbox in an accident, but that's better than bending the motor shaft in my book!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:35 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Tres, thanks so much. I'm going to give 'em a try. Appreciate your thoughts. Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt