HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:21 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
Discussion
Good Cheap Turbine

Does anyone know where one might find a good cheap turbine engine which is light produces about 5 lbs of thrust? I like the simplicity of a pulse jet but the run time is short and I'm not sure where to buy replacement valves, if any are available. Just looking for the smallest jet engine around. Thanks all!
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
113 Posts
You should look at wren turbines more thrust than you are looking for but could be detuned a little.
Careoseen is offline Find More Posts by Careoseen
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:47 AM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
The MW44 Gold and the MW54 MK3 ECO hand start/ECO onboard start look very nice. The MW44 is roughly the size I wanted. I'm going to see if they sell here in Canada. What I want the engine for is to propel a boat. The engine will determine the size of the watercraft.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 04:07 AM
Burnin Kero & Diesel Downunder
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody f86saber
Does anyone know where one might find a good cheap turbine engine which is light produces about 5 lbs of thrust? I like the simplicity of a pulse jet but the run time is short and I'm not sure where to buy replacement valves, if any are available. Just looking for the smallest jet engine around. Thanks all!
Good, yes! cheap no, but you get what you pay for as they say in the classics.... go here for Wren sales and service in Canada-
http://www.altecarerc.com
Marty C... is offline Find More Posts by Marty C...
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:40 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
898 Posts
There is no such thing as a good cheap turbine, ask anyone who has owned a chinese turbine!

About the smallest practical turbine around is the Kolibri:
http://www.lambert-modellturbinen.de/html/gallery.html

A friend has one & it's a fabulous little machine. BUT, it's not cheap! - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:19 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,203 Posts
John,

Wow.....Thats Nice.....Hope JetJoe will be making such a small turbine Jet.....I want something I can installed in a 30 size Helicopter.

Maybe 10 years from now, this Jet Engine will be just a kids toys.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:29 AM
Joined Aug 2005
40 Posts
The smaller the engine, the more difficult it is to make, which is why neither the Lambert Kolibri nor the Wren MW44 are cheap. It actually costs us more to make the MW44 than the larger MW54.

That's why the cheapest engines at the moment are usually those designs from European companies which are based on a 66mm compressor and turbine. (The MW54 has a 54mm compressor and the MW44 a 44mm one). This size is the easiest to make.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Sara is offline Find More Posts by Sara
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
Thanks alot! All your replys are very helpful! Can't thank you enough
Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:01 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
I might as well ask... putting size aside, what is the best bang for the buck-the cheapest turbine that is reliable and easy to repair and care for?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
113 Posts
jetjoe is the cheapest 1/2 price or less than anybody else and they do run my 1200 runs very well.
Careoseen is offline Find More Posts by Careoseen
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:19 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
898 Posts
Probably the manual start Wren 54 mk3 kit. The quality is high but costs have been cut by eliminating the starter, auto start function plus you have to do some of the assembly yourself. Email Wren, they can give you the details including where to buy one.

Also check out prices on Jetcat engines where you live. Also top quality & sometimes on special.

A friend had a chinese turbine & had nothing but trouble. He has since replaced it with a Jetcat. Chinese turbines 1/2 price - yes, a bargain - no. But hey, if you can afford to gamble the asking money go ahead, you may get lucky.............. John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:32 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1 Posts
Cheap jet engine.

I am having a hard time finding a cheap jet engine too, where do you think I can buy or build a very cheap gas turbine engine?
koolsk8ter111 is offline Find More Posts by koolsk8ter111
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:27 PM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolsk8ter111
I am having a hard time finding a cheap jet engine too, where do you think I can buy or build a very cheap gas turbine engine?
So..just what is your budget? $1,000USD? $2,000USD?
Are you after any value or just cheap?
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:31 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Post six of this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690931

Martin
mcjustis is offline Find More Posts by mcjustis
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2004
149 Posts
Dear Cody,

I own a JJ1400, Wren 54 Mrk II, and two JDE Hawk 14 engines. All are what is called 54 mm engines.

The JJ1400 I have works OK after some upgrades to the latest version. If you purchase a 'tuned and set-up' engine from Gabe at JetJoeUSA you should have what you are looking for. Gabe does all the checks etc. to ensure a good running engine at a reasonable price. BEFORE everyone jumps all over me, Yes, it is not the best of my four engines, but it works and flies my Reaper OK. And what I learned sure helped make me aware of what makes a turbine run. A Gabe tuned engine wouldn't require the learning I did according to the reports I have read on various forums. And yes, I have dealt with Gabe and no I do not have any association with any vendors. Period. Just a cheap modeller.

DW_Crash
dw_crash is offline Find More Posts by dw_crash