HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:31 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Question
Can carbon strip be scored and snapped cleanly?

I'm envisioning being able to longitudinally cut unidirectional carbon strip the same way one would score and cut a sheet of glass. Is this possible?

Cheers,
golem
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
Lund, Sweden
Joined Jun 2006
56 Posts
try?
lolzor is offline Find More Posts by lolzor
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:47 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzor
try?
Thanks for the recommendation but...if I had some I would have already tried it. Positive input will be the determining factor as to whether or not my first carbon strip purchase is a single wide strip that I can cut to required widths or buying multiple narrow strips.

Cheers,
golem
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
I've found that when I try to break a strip even after I've scored it, there are always some threads that are hanging off. From what I've experienced, it'll break but not cleanly.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Thanks for the insight rmgmag. That's what I was hoping not to hear but what I was prepared for nonetheless. Probably would be expecting a lot for both the filaments AND score to be lined up perfectly. Curious though, did the threads clean up easily or does it seem to be more trouble than it's worth?

Cheers,
golem
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:38 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
I guess it depends on the thickness of the strips because lately I've just been cutting them with a scissors. That does lead to some fraying, but not too bad. I just trim the ends as best I can and dip the ends in a drop of CA and hit it with accelerator and everything stays together fairly well. You can even sand the ends down a bit to smooth them out once they've been CA'd.

I think that if you break the strips and then trim the filaments and then add a touch of CA to the ends, you should be OK.

When I'm not feeling too lazy I'll use a dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut the strips, but even then I end up with some frayed edges. Again, the CA trick cures that issue.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:03 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Appreciate the follow-up! Now that it sound like acceptable results may be possible I think I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
golem
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
I've found dremmel tool with cutting disk works for me (just don't breath the dust)

I've never been able to just score it and have it break. (with the epoxy in addition to the carbon, it's not prone to brittle fractures as is glass)
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:47 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Thanks for your info Nethole.

I was just thinking about using the dremel (as per yours and rmgmag's posts) with a router attachment. Should be really easy to affix a jig to the router attachment allowing for a very clean and precise cut, nice thin blade on low speed should also provide for little waste. And yes, a shop-vac to eliminate the nasties.

It's just too tempting to be able to get six .8x4x1000mm strips for less than $2 apiece or eight 3mm wide for $1.30ea from Hobby-Lobby.

Cheers,
golem