HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:52 AM
Airle beach,Whitsundays QLD
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
Question
What the next plane after a boomerang 40?

I have been flying for 6 months with my boomerang but am unsure of what to buy next? Any tips on what to buy next?
bmxbill is offline Find More Posts by bmxbill
Last edited by bmxbill; Jan 24, 2007 at 05:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:21 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
A scanner from Model engine is generally a good one, wont break the bank either should cost about $110 approx.
http://oos.modelengines.com.au/comma...key=meng&f_id=[INVALID%20FORM%20VAR]&itemid=PHSCANNER
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Last edited by rcozstyle; Jan 24, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:48 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
World Models make a nice low wing to but the name escapes me at this time, I remember it is called Sky Raider MK 2, I found a link, http://www.hhq.com.au/store/cart.php...category_id=66
this one is a taildragger so the choice is yours ?.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:49 PM
Australia, VIC, Benalla
Joined Oct 2005
280 Posts
I agree with rcozstyle

The scanner is a good introduction low wing aileron model... fully aerobatic yet has good slow flight and landing characteristics.

Az
Azryl is offline Find More Posts by Azryl
Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2003
47 Posts
Phoenix's Scanner or TWM's Sky Raider Mach II from are both solid choices.

The former is a trike like your Boomerang, the latter a taildragger. Raider has the better quality hardware, superior conventional film (Toughlon) covering rather than printed contact, and flies the better of the two, but is marginally more expensive at $10 to $15 more depending upon where you buy. And worth it IMO.

No opinion on appearance as looks are completely subjective to individual interpretation, and they are both really just a decorated box with wings.

Flown both. I prefer to fly the Raider over the Scanner every time. She's a cute and cheeky box with wings that tracks as true as an arrow.

Both are inexpensive and either is suitable for your intended purpose.
sigrun is offline Find More Posts by sigrun
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:59 PM
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
Im wont somemore scale rather than just the normal scanner low wing trainer what the best scale to learn on
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:24 PM
Joined Jul 2003
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbill
Im wont somemore scale rather than just the normal scanner low wing trainer what the best scale to learn on
TWM's Sky Raider Mach II ain't no "low wing trainer" with a typical TBR'd .46 up front despite what the box art blurb might suggest, although it has been designed with inherent 'Gumby safe' landing and handling characteristics. Do yourself a huge favour and just pretend it looks like a Mk IX Spitfire.

If you insist upon flying something stand-off scale as your second model and first low wing type and want to avoid courting disaster, anything branded Seagull can ordinarily be relied upon to be 'flier friendly' but still perform well. The singular Seagull exception which readily comes to mind is their Decathlon. It probably won't appeal to you because it's got the Cub look, but even if it does, it'd be wise of you to pass on it at this stage.
sigrun is offline Find More Posts by sigrun
Old Jan 25, 2007, 04:37 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Please listen to sigrun

What Sigrun is telling you is very good advise, A low wing aircraft fly different to a high wing trainer. Just because you fly a boomerang well doesnt mean your ready for a scale aircraft.

Just think of it this way, if you just got your P plates does it mean your ready to drive a F1 car. mmmmm I think not. Once your flown the low wing to death then buy a scale plane. My first low wing was a ez chipmunk, which looked like a scanner or sky raider with chipmunk colour scheme. I had so much fun with that model until I destroyed it with a linkage failure on the elevator.
I wish i still had that model.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 04:58 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
If you have to get something else get this http://www.modelflight.com.au/hanger...ts_hangar9.htm
Old Jan 26, 2007, 03:30 AM
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
ive flown a friends scanner for 3 months til he crashed it and considering to buy one but gottin a bit bored of it
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:08 AM
Foam disposal expert
Joined Sep 2003
313 Posts
As everyone says - get a SkyRaider Mach 2, put a hot .46 in it and go tear up the sky. The one's I've seen at the field go like stink and fly really nicely. It's an ideal plane to sort out inverted, spins, snaps, knifes, stall turns and the rest of the standard pattern moves. I've even seen people hover one and do some nice looking 3D work.

Be in no doubt - you do need to go through this stage - you can skip to a scale bird, but you will almost certainly spend longer improving your skills and have a much higher chance of crashing. A sympathetic plane will let you hone your recovery skills and won't punish you too badly for wrong moves - a scale model will not.
RussellK is offline Find More Posts by RussellK
Old Jan 27, 2007, 03:53 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Excellent advise. Everybody is saying much the same thing, now the rest is up to you.