avt
Hell Flyer
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Help!
Honey Bee CP or FP, CP or FP....

Can't make up my mind.
I've already decided it's going to be the Honey Bee mainly because of parts availability.
Now all I have to choose is between the CP2 or the FP. I'm flying the Esky Lama for a few weeks, so I have some experience with handling helis.

Is there a big difference between the two apart from the fact that the FP won't fly inverted? What else can the CP2 do and the FP won't?
I don't think I'll ever want to get into difficult aerobatics (tho you can never know, right?) so maybe the FP will do? But OTOH, I hate outgrowing and getting bored with things, so I don't like to get the FP if the CP2 can offer much more.
And how about repair costs? Do both helis differ much in cost? Is one of them sturdier than the other?
Many questions, I know... I just really need your help here.

EDIT: I think it might help if FP owners would explain their reasons for getting an FP rather than a CP2, and for CP2 owners to... well, you get it

TIA,
Aviv.
avt is online now Find More Posts by avt
Last edited by avt; Jan 24, 2007 at 05:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:34 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
I find the CP2 easier to use and has more room for growth. It takes to wind quite well. This heli requires much more knowledge in setup specially after a crash.

The FP is a no brainer and easy to maintain. Keeps flying after a crash because of its tough plastic blades. It feels light and but a bit hairy to fly in the wind.

If you just want this to be a heli to learn on then the FP wins my vote. But if you intend to keep flying and do basic 3D, the CP2 will serve you well in the long run.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:43 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
I have both FP2 and CP2. If it is your first heli then get FP otherwise you can get CP2. FP is a lot easier and a lot of fun. If you want to fly and have fun get FP2. On the other hand if you want more troubles then get CP2. So far I had a chance to fly my CP2 twice after setting up. It flies great but you need to have some kind of experience or you won't be able to fly and you'll be just breaking the thing over and over again. I can fly CP2 very easy but it is a lot scarier because of high head speed and very very responsive. Once again, get FP and have fun or get both.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:36 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,920 Posts
If it your first heli get the FP. Much easier to learn, but that will still take you quite along time. So you will have goals for a long time!
The main restriction will be you want to be doing it indoors, or very calm days outside.
A CP2 can handle the wind better...that is IF you can fly already! It is not very suitable for indoor learning, due to higher headspeed and twitchiness, and dangers. (of damage to it or things). So all in all a CP2 will severely impede your learning time versus a FP. It could even make you think heli's are too tough for you to bother.
Whereas an FP, or even the much bigger T-Rex, are both notably easier to fly than the CP2 anyway!
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:47 AM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avt
EDIT: I think it might help if FP owners would explain their reasons for getting an FP rather than a CP2, and for CP2 owners to... well, you get it
we can't explain.

we have both.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
I bought the FP because I wanted something to fly indoors, and I'm learning so the lower price, extra toughness and ease of set-up all made it an easy decision. I'm very happy with my choice.

> Is there a big difference between the two apart from the fact that the FP won't fly inverted?

FP means the collective response is much slower, also the CP is heavier and has a higher head speed, so the cyclic response is faster.

FWIW, I've seen lots of people say that for outdoor flight you should skip the CP and go straight to a TREX, (but start with the FP.)
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:19 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,411 Posts
You can make a CP2 into an "almost" FP by moving the links from the servos to their innermost position.

This reduces the collective to almost zero.

It also reduces the cyclic control, but this is easy to overcome by using larger stick movements which for me makes the heli easier to fly.

You can make symmetrical blades act like flat-bottomed blades by adding 4 degrees of pitch.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
r/c heli noob
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
138 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I won't be flying outdoors much, but the price difference between FP and CP2 is so small that I'm considering the CP2 just in case I ever do fly outside, but then I dont want something too fast and twitchy, but then I could always tame it with Martyns suggestion - argh! This decision shouldn't be so tough.
AusGeno is offline Find More Posts by AusGeno
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:06 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusGeno
I'm in the same boat. I won't be flying outdoors much, but the price difference between FP and CP2 is so small that I'm considering the CP2 just in case I ever do fly outside, but then I dont want something too fast and twitchy, but then I could always tame it with Martyns suggestion - argh! This decision shouldn't be so tough.
CP2 is not suitable for in room flying. I do fly my CP2 in the room but compare to FP2 is a big difference. Letís say if youíll be flying over 50% in your house then definitely get FP2 and you can always get CP2 later.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett
I bought the FP because I wanted something to fly indoors, and I'm learning so the lower price, extra toughness and ease of set-up all made it an easy decision. I'm very happy with my choice.
Same thing for me, although I'm doing indoor/outdoor flying. I'm a complete newbie, and didn't want the added concentration/knowhow of the CP. The FP also has fewer parts to break, and as was mentioned, setup and repair are very simple
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:30 PM
r/c heli noob
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaz
CP2 is not suitable for in room flying. I do fly my CP2 in the room but compare to FP2 is a big difference.
I wont be flying in a room. I have a big underground car-park I can fly in, so there isn't a lot of ceiling height to fly too high, nor is there much wind that's why I was thinking FP might be better, but then if the CP is the same price and I can tame it with mods it's an equally good alternative.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:35 PM
Salt Lake City,UT
Joined Nov 2006
272 Posts
So the FP is 4 channel CP is 6 Correct? Would that make the learning cure a little steeper on the CP? I am having same dillema. But if FP is easier to learn on that would be the logical next step from a BCX2. Did a lot of you go from a coax to FP or straight to CP. Or did you just pick up the FP or CP and learn on them?

Ed
EEZFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EEZFlyer
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,920 Posts
I went FP, CP2, T-Rex
FP is way easier than CP2. T-Rex is also easier! About the same as FP, but much scarier seeing it is bigger and much 'faster'. That is until it becomes a 'normal' thing to you.

Without a doubt the FP is the best one to start with, as it will also be flyable forever - indoors. For practice...fun....and is OK in very calm outdoor conditions too.

Starting on a CP2 will severely stunt (is that a pun?) and slow your learning curve. And probably cost more in crash repairs! Though if you really make a good effort and do things SLOW (as you should anyway) you could keep those damage events to a minimum and advance ok overall. It is just a lot harder than an FP. More so in the very early stages where your motor skills are very poor, and you are trying to control a quite twitchy CP heli - that was made to be like that.

CP2's have 6 channels, but only really use 5. Fp's use 4 (but have a 6 chan receiver anyway). CP2's use 3 channels for head/blade control, instead of 2 on an FP. But in flying them it is all pretty irrelevant to the pilot, because you still do the same control procedures for both anyway. So that part is not what makes them harder.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
NE Florida
Joined Dec 2006
107 Posts
I ended up buying the FP for all the reasons the others have already stated. I have had many crashes trying to learn to hover. I bought about $30 worth of crash parts and have used about $5 or $10 worth of them. After I got a little repair time in I am not as scared to try new things. I know if it does take a dive I can put it back together. Most of the time in 15 minutes or less.

1. Low entry cost.
2. Easy setup and repair.
3. Low cost of parts, check out - bphobbies.com
4. Loads of fun and most people that own these seem to still enjoy them even though they have purchased much more advanced heli's.

Good Luck!!
DobsOnly
DobsOnly is offline Find More Posts by DobsOnly
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:47 PM
r/c heli noob
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
138 Posts
While we're on the subject guys, ideally I'd like a Honey Bee FPII but I can't find one anywhere in Australia or from Aus eBay.

I can however, get the Walkera and Night Ranger choppers at a good price, which would be the best FP of those? Or should I consider sucking up a big import fee for a proper FPII?

Thx.