HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2007
109 Posts
I am getting back into RC after many yrs out. Been a huge Futaba/Airtronics fan when I was power/glider flying.

Picked up a 4ch computer Futaba with micro S3108m servos. Very nice servos, fast, return to zero promptly and quiet. Lots of torque for my 3D Charger and Turmoil I was flying. No issues. Since they came with the radio and now discountinued, value is kind of silly.

However, at the reg. $14 price, if they still were for sale, I would rate their quality a 9, performance a 9 and their value a 8 (lower torque then S3110m).

Now I have been using the S3110m and see no real difference in function except they come rated at a higher torque. A really great servo which again is discontinued. At the $14 street price, I rate their quality 9.5, performance 9.5 and value 9.5.

Will likely get some S3114 if they are still around in a few days.

Like many many flyers, I also have a couple of HS55 servos. These I bought on sale for dirt cheap. They have run really well, like the S3108, until the last flight. Formosa coming out of a turn then doing an uncontrollable spiral into the ground. No problems, glitches for 3 flights prior.

Well within range of the Rx. All electronics functioning after the flight except one HS55 servo (aileron) is jammed solid. The only thing I can figure out is that coming out of the turn, the servo locked up/did not return to neutral causing the death spiral.

So before the crash, I was very favorable of this servo (Q-8, P-9, V-10). Now, very gun shy for a faster E-pattern plane. If I simply put the wrong servo into the application, then the issue is me. However, I have seen numerous reviews of similar planes that use this servo with zero problems.

Since this is likely an isolated case, I would not condemn the servo. But that is enough for me. Present rating is Q-3, P-3, V-3. I think the HS65 with stronger gears is the smarter option for this application but they are significantly more expensive then the S3110/3114.

For those that have not used the new Micro plug from Futaba, the concept is great. Very low weight but the plug is so small that handling (unplugging) is frustrating and if handled rough, likely break. For the extra few grams over all the servos in a plane, the reg J plug would be my recommendation.

Jerry
mysticplayer is offline Find More Posts by mysticplayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:26 PM
Irving, TX
Joined Apr 2006
525 Posts
Wow...excellent add to the site. Thanks.
Fishbone4u is offline Find More Posts by Fishbone4u
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Not real impressed with the JR S241 servos that I have. Fragile gears and the centering doesn't seem to be very good. I bought then used so maybe they are just used-up. Probably wouldn't buy them again, especially not for nearly $30 each. I hate to put a rating on them since they were not new when I got them
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:01 AM
pigs will fly!!
Joined Jan 2007
276 Posts
Hi guys

I am using Robbe FS 60, for the tail surfaces of my condor voodo glider, they seem to work ok. they are smooth, centre well and quite powerfull for the size. I would rate them 8 out of 10

I also have a Robbe FS31 pico servo which I am going to use in the tail to drive the elevator on my sky sergio, its very thin 8mm only and light at 5.5 grams. cant comment on its operation as of yet

I have also bought a pack a 5 servo of the make E sky they seem to be roughly the same size as the robbe FS 60 but at half the price, currently untested, as the will be fitted to a Kyosho Soarus, which is waiting for me to build.

Regards

Joe Rubido
jrturbo is offline Find More Posts by jrturbo
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:24 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Buddy of mine bought the JR S241 on recommendation from a die hard JR fan. Lasted less than one trip to the field. Stripped putting it in the truck and replacement stripped on the ground before takeoff with no impact to surface. Katana Mini elevator was the application. He uses E-Flite S75 and has had no issues yet.
Got my Tower 10 off 24.99 today and gonna order another HS-65.

edit 1 HS-65 Karbonite and 1 bottle of 6 min epoxy $21.97 to my door.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Last edited by bildo baggins; Apr 25, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
I picked up 3 HXT900 servos from UH after reading favorable reviews here. I have to say, as a servo, I'm not all that impressed. They're fast, but 2 out of the 3 seems to have a dirty pot. Looking at the servo output shaft, on CW turns, it would not stop precisely when the stick stops. It would oscillate a bit. Like if my stick movement will make the servo go from 3o'clock to 4o'clock position, it would stop at 4:30, bounce back to 3:30, then stop at 3o'clock. On CCW turns, it would stop precisely most of the time. I've warrantied 2 HS65MG servos that behaved this way after hard crashes. These HXTs are brand new.

Since they're only $3 a piece, I don't know what to think. Yea it's cheap, but that oscilation could crash a plane in the air. Has no one experienced this problem before?
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Jul 25, 2007, 07:57 AM
Free State of Lavaca
Joined Nov 2006
888 Posts
I have some of the HXT servos, but am using them in fairly low demand applications. As such I am fairly happy with them. I will try to look at them more critically next time I power up.

I have had issues with Blue Arrow 3.3 gram. I lost 2 in a crash, so while I am frustrated, can not say that that was the servos fault (the servos worked fine till they were sheared in half).

Next plane was not so lucky as the pot came loose in the elevator servo. After several crashes caused by that servo, I finally diagnosed the problem (I saw the servo do a 180 and recenter pointing the opposite direction - that is something really neat on an elevator servo - having the servo reverse all on it's own). I ended up stealing the case and gears off of that servo and the electronics off of one of the sheared ones and had no more issues. FWIW I had read that loose pots were an issue with this servo, and probably should have tested it more thoroughly before installing it (and re-glued the pot if necessary).
---
The reason the servos were sheared was do to the way they were mounted (between a glassed wing and carbon fuse-they never stood a chance)- that was no fault of the servos. The elevator servo was new when it was installed, so it's excuses were mine for failing to test it properly.
chainlink is offline Find More Posts by chainlink
Last edited by chainlink; Jul 25, 2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 09:10 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I have some Batan digital servos that I'll be trying very soon.

So far my Blue Arrow 3.6 servos are ok, no centering issues, we'll see what happens if I get a bad crash. These are in a Cox warbird at 4.8 ounces AUW.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:10 PM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Add the esky 8g EK2-0500.
1.3 torque
.12 speed

great servos especially for the price. about $5 each.
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Old May 31, 2009, 02:17 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
125 Posts
Hi
I've used BMS 380Max (BB and metal gears) servos on a Hyperion Yak 55 25e for the passed year completing over 100 flights. The servos performed very well, I have not adjusted my subtrim since new. I'd give them a 9/10. The only issue is slack in the gearing or bearing, I have about 2mm of control surface movement now. I fly big air high speed F3A style moves so they get a workout on every flight.

Cheers.........
RCFlyingKiwi is online now Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Old Sep 05, 2009, 11:09 AM
Joined Jul 2006
28 Posts
Would the original starter of this thread "Treker-1701" please post the latest updated spreadsheet file to this group? This would hopefully, consolidate all the ratings so far and be useful to everyone ... now that he has put in so much effort.

Thanks much

4world is offline Find More Posts by 4world
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:07 AM
Germany
Joined Feb 2004
28 Posts
Spare motor source for BMS-306 / 308 / 306BB / 308BB servos

Strangely, two of my fairly new BMS-308BBs have developed a motor failure (siezed up, respectively, motor doesn't rotate at all even if removed from housing). The size is 7mm dia. x 12,2mm. The pinion is a pain to remove, so the spare motor should come with the original pinion. Haven't found anything via the search engines. Does someone know a source?
Similarly, one of my trusty GWS naro servos - running about 200hrs in an FP microheli over a period of 4 years and NO slop (as opposed to the highly-rated BMSses) jitters strongly around 0, i.e. a worn pot. Same sourcing question. Thanks to all.
XrayZulu is offline Find More Posts by XrayZulu